Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

indoor harrier

Old 05-17-2002, 05:26 PM
Guardian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indoor harrier

Hi,
I used the AV-8B harrier, made some changes, and designed an indoor flyer. My problem is what size motor ? maybe a radio shack PC cooling fan w/ a modified motor ? how would I rotate the nozzles ? pager motors ? what kind of r/c equipment should I use ? possiblly micro color camera ? any help would be great !!

Mike
Old 05-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Richie

Default indoor harrier

A model Harrier for R.C. flight would be great. It will be extremely difficult to get to fly. I saw an article(Model Airplane News) on a glow fuel powered model with lots of power that could hardly get off the ground. It is very hard to get the power to weight ratio to lift it because of all the extra gear like motors to turn the nozzles and such. The model I read about was using a tank of compressed air to power tip jets on thw wing tips, tail, and nose for control in hover. As far as I know it never made it to forward flight. If you are building a model for indoor flight you might want to just leave the nozzles fixed and mostly hover or slow flight. This still leaves the question of how you intend to control the model while hovering. A compressed air tank would be heavy and would have to be refilled often. Maybe some kind of valve system to send different air pressure to each nozzle(tricky and not much authority for control). Probably the best thing to do would be to do a search of the web and see if anyone has made one fly successfully and how they did it. And if there was a kit I would buy it. I hope you can figure out a way to make it work. Good luck.

Richie
Old 05-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Richie

Default indoor harrier

You should check out this website http://www.ottawarcclub.com/ericd.htm

Richie
Old 09-05-2002, 03:59 AM
Otaku

Default interesting...

An indoor scale harrier would be darn near impossible to pull off. Horizontal flight would be doable, but VTOL and hovering would be iffy. One way to go would be to make the exaust ports wide open and uncontrollable cept for a micro servo controlling the thrust vector plus a helo gyro keeping you level. Another idea would be to use a micro servo controlling thust vector and a set of two micro servos or a set of coil actuators (if they have enough torgue for it) powering valves ducting the exaust, controlled by a set of simple gravity switches (the ones with the ball bearings in them) one aligned on the pitch axis and one aligned on the roll axis you would have to figure out a way to switch this method off after your transistion from vtol to flight else your inputs from your transmitter would be counteracted by this type of system. However all this stuff is adding alot of weight. For motors I would suggest dual GWS-EDF-50's one for each side. That is of course the plane is scaled to use that motor. You forgot to mention scale. I would also recommend very very light building materials. and scale up the wings just a bit to increase lift.

Just some ideas.