Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

18" IFO

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:53 PM
RDespins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18" IFO

My friend and I just got back from flying our new "unkit" built 18" span IFOs.

They fly AWESOME. They will hover at half throttle, and go VERTICAL and I mean VERTICAL. They will also fly by at a super slow pace, probably 2MPH with no bad stalling tendancies.

Parts:

1 - GWS RXC-B Motor with Heatsink $18US
1 - GWS 8X4.3 Prop (APC 8X3.8 didn't seem to make any difference) $2.50
3 - Waypoint 60 Servos 6g $20Can ea.
1 - 3S1P 250 mAh Etec LiPo Battery $36Can
1 - Plantraco DSP-4 Receiver/10A ESC/BEC $61 Can

Weight = 105 grams
Thrust (aprox) = 130-140 grams

We tried flying with 2S 250mA batteries, but they were just shy of hovering, let alone climbing out(which was our goal)

Receiver is super solid, no glitches despite flying inside a huge Metal hanger, or by some power lines outside.

Motor gets warm to the touch after 2 mins of FULL throttle, which will never happen, its too fast.

Waypoint servos are quite strong, I can do a quick dive, and they always pull out with no hesitation. and no buzzing so far. They Center well but could use a little more accuracy ie. they move in 5 degree increments(a guess) but its fine for this aircraft/flying, can't really complain at $20 Canadian per servo.

I would like to thank Martin at www.backyardflying.com for all of his help, great prices, and FABULOUS service. I wish all companies would be as pleasing to deal with and as honest as Martin is.

Pictures:

Old 02-09-2004, 01:54 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 18" IFO

I scratch built some 24 IFOs I was thinking about a smaller version. Great to here it works I will try a smaller version next time. My sons and I fly them in the basement during the winter. I love the Way it hovers and torque rolls to change direction.