Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

how to cover in sran wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:13 AM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to cover in sran wrap?

How do you guys apply sran wrap to you stick built balsa wings to get it tight?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: how to cover in sran wrap?

You can use a 3M Super 77 spray applied with a Q-tip to the balsa or a thicker glue like [link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/litespan.htm]Balsaloc[/link] and then wrap the plastic covering firmly around the frame.

Once the frame is wrapped and trimmed, use a light heat like a blow dryer or distanced heat gun to shrink the plastic wrap to a snug fit.

The key is to start out with as few wrinkles as possible since the plastic wrap has little shrinking properties and little tolerance for heat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71887.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	224540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14395.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	224541  
Old 02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
crashawk

a glue stick also works rather well. run the glue stick along all the edges and across the ribs you want the saran to stick to. lay the saran on as neat as possible and run your finger over where the saran is on the glue, if you can use something warm here it makes it stick better otherwise just run your finger back and forth several times to help warm the glue. trim with a razor blade, I shrink mine in front of a small heater controlling the heat by the distance you have the part from the heater. a blow drier or heat gun ussually has too much force to allow drum tight shrinking.
a plus to the glue stick is if you are not all ready using 3m-77 for something then you don't have to shell out 7 to 9 dollars for a can of it, and the glue stick doesn't get on everthing like the 77 does when you spray it.

hope this helps.

Jason
Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

"sran" wrap?[:-] duh.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Hatty

When you use the glue stick, make sure it does not get on your hands. If it does and you touch the saran wrap, you could pull it away from the plane, before it has time to dry. I had that problem and it is not a good idea to cover your wing when you are frustrated.

I have also heard that Elmers glue diluted with a little bit of water works well. But, whatever you use make sure you test it before you apply it to your wing.

Good luck