Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 09:17 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

OK, here's post 2. Remember that movie gone in 60 seconds? After last nights successes in high altitude flight and a great high flight this evening, I decided to put a plane up to ride the upper level winds and time how long it took to get down. At about one minute I knew I was in serious trouble. The winds at 200'+(I could no longer hear the motors) would not let the plane down. I followed the plane to keep in range, a rare nessicity(sp?). But was unable to regain control. I saw the plane hit the pine tree centered in the second photo, I think. The first pic is a picture of the area it was lost and why I'm leery of high flight. And just to be sure I went down the road to see if it spun down. Nope, lots of ferns and trees, no planes. Tim

PS Novielo, the blue truck is mine. That is what I brought the third hand home in. Tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig10970.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	510426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42424.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	510427  
Old 08-20-2006, 09:23 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

One thing I didn't mention, that tree stand is about a quarter of a mile away.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:09 AM
eiwel

Hey guys
Does anyone out there know what L29.99 Euro translates into American Money????Thanks
Old 08-21-2006, 08:58 AM
novielo

neurotex, now i get it. you got a very good way to make these planes, never tought to make it this way. very simple and efficient.
where do you get foam? 'cause on my side, here (quebec province in canada) i hardly can find foam. that's why i made a foam wire cutter. i use pink or blue isolation one 8' x 24" and foam plate that i got from the grocery, a chance we have a child care service at home... makes alot of foam plates.... beside that i just can't find anything, went to home depot and other renovation center around here, nothing. each time i ask them for fan fold foam they look at me the way you would if you saw E.T. comming out of my mouth!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 AM
novielo

tim that's a realt good place you have to fly... alot of "head room". but alot maybe all your wind problem are maybe because it seems you are in a valey. like you said once, it creates vortex at low altitude. but when you go higher you got the "normal wind" that goes over that valey... i don't know if that's clear... hope so.

your plane look very cool, you should be able to remove weight out of it 690 gram!!!! that's a pound and a half!!! look carefuly there must be a brick somewhere ... do the tx is like a aa or a single joystick like a defender?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:10 AM
novielo

eiwel, go to your bank website they usualy got these info on the web

here's from mine... take note that this is the change rate for canadian... you can change it another time to have it in us, but it won't be the exact amount. also take another note that when paying in another currency your bank or credit card won't give you the exact same amount. ie when i pay in us$ the change rate is .86 us$ / 1 can$, my bank or credit card will make it at 0.84 us$/ 1 can$.
that's another way they have to make more money..[:@]

http://www.desjardins.com/fr/taux/ch...au_billets.jsp
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM
googledperson

Guys any suggestions on a shaft that wont stay spinning? the propeller stops in a glide and is almost like a giant air brake. I have tested the prop and that is not the problem. The spinning seems to stop almost immediately after i take power off and i have to trim all the way to one side to keep the plane from spiraling to that motor's side. Also, i tried balancing the props and it helped with the vibration but not with the spinning. My plane is a 2006 c red and black w/ skulls air hog.
PS anyone tried the wing extension with the bottom wings but adding foam plate tail fins to the sides of each wing? I have tried it and it seems to reduce porpoising and the pendulum effect but prevents cool diving turns. If you guys have any ideas on my problems/suggestions im all ears.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
novielo

googled, did you oiled your motor? i used sewing machine oil, it can be also the 3 in 1 oil, in the motors and the power switch. my plane went into the pool more time that it should and i have no problems so far. it will help to make it turn with less friction, so maybe it won't stop before the other. you will have to oil it couple of times (once every 2 days for a week) so the oil will stay in the motor.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE
Remember that movie gone in 60 seconds?
Oh man! sorry to hear you lost it.
It's got to be there somewhere.... keep looking- and we were just talking about
the dangers of sronger wind currents higher up too.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: novielo

where do you get foam? 'cause on my side, here (quebec province in canada) i hardly can find foam. that's why i made a foam wire cutter. i use pink or blue isolation one 8' x 24" and foam plate that i got from the grocery, a chance we have a child care service at home... makes alot of foam plates.... beside that i just can't find anything, went to home depot and other renovation center around here, nothing. each time i ask them for fan fold foam they look at me the you would if you saw E.T. comming out of my mouth!!!
The foam I got from work. It was a sign that came in an advertising package.
Had to soak it for 18 hours to get the glue and paper off of it. Under that I found
another layer of a thin plastic coating on both sides. Had to peel that off too.
This is the first true foamie I made so I haven't been looking around for foam.
Maybe the ad companies will send me some more signs!

Some 3 views of the F22 nov, if you need em.
If this turns out to be a good flyer I'll try and put up some plans for it.
[link=http://www.f22fighter.com/f226191.jpg]F22[/link]
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 AM
frank10

I lost my AA jet over the weekend in a similar manner. I was in a wide open area, low winds, and I took it up high. It started moving away and I could not regain control. Eventually, it went beyond some very tall trees and I have no idea where/if it landed.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 AM
GTX SlotCar

I've used [link=http://depronalaska.com/]Depron Alaska [/link] for parts before and their price and service was great. When I was ordering CF rod for heli flybars, the guy even cut it in 8" lengths for me to save on shipping. That's a lot to go through for a $3 order. I just can't say enough good things about them.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Neurotex

Did some searching and found this site for foam.
[link=http://slingwing.com/retail_store_products.html#foamsheets]slingwing[/link]
not sure what kind of foam, but it's the first time I've seen it in various colors.

nov, here's a great way to build an airfoil into a foam wing.
[link=http://www.lecun.org/hobby/dzepron.html]foam wings[/link]
Old 08-21-2006, 01:01 PM
jonny didmo

The foam sheets that I have are from Slingwing, 3.5mm expanded polystyrene, I have a yellow and a green sheet. They say on website it is twice as heavy as Depron and stiffer and tougher. I haven't really used it yet so not sure. Apparently it is the same foam that egg cartons are made of.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

novielo, the titan has basically the same controller as the AA.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:13 PM
googledperson

googled, did you oiled your motor? i used sewing machine oil, it can be also the 3 in 1 oil, in the motors and the power switch. my plane went into the pool more time that it should and i have no problems so far. it will help to make it turn with less friction, so maybe it won't stop before the other. you will have to oil it couple of times (once every 2 days for a week) so the oil will stay in the motor.
How did you get the oil in the motor did you just drip it down the shaft?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:06 PM
novielo

googled. yes that's exacly what i did. i put some also in the opening in the plastic cassing, at the back of the motor.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

I've never flown an AA before or for that matter anything this small...was curious about building the AlleyCat Is it difficult to fly..and is it ok for a first time micro build? It looked really cool in the video posted on aa toolbox.

Also, just curious, but whats this spot in your pic. Its got perfectly square edges (look hard, its there). And no I dont really have anything better to do with my time

Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Armedzagi, that is a utility pole. That might also help give some scale to the picture. The plane is about 150 feet to the right and up a slope in a tree that is about at fifty feet up from the ground level. The tree I would guess to be 150 feet tall. The undergrowth is from 3-20 feet tall. No trails that I could find either Tim
Old 08-21-2006, 06:23 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I just checked with hobby people. They are supposed to have the Picco Z and gyrotor around the end of November.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I spotted the plane. Here is a pic. The white spot in the second tree over from the utility pole is the plane. Now I'll go see how visible from the ground. Tim

Name:	Ge94495.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	511028  
Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

It is not visible from the ground. I took a pic from 300+- feet closer. I also took shots of the undergrowth, including the small trees/giant shrubs under the tree. Found an abundance of berry bushes and poison ivy as well. Oh, joy! If you want the pic's let me know. Tim
Old 08-21-2006, 08:48 PM
googledperson

googled. yes that's exacly what i did. i put some also in the opening in the plastic cassing, at the back of the motor.
If the oil (3in 1) didnt work any other suggestions? I put in both ends and let it seep in but it didnt rotate any better. It did improve my other engine though. DO you think i could have a bent shaft? And armed zagi where did you get the plans for that foamie? My final AA is down i was testing what the oil did and a slight bump looks as though it cause the entire shaft to go straight through the motor.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:15 PM
jonny didmo

Here is pics of where I'm going with my slow indoor flier w/aa hardware idea. This glides (w/3 pennies at front) at 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. Made of styro plate material. I'm sure this has been done before ad nauseum but is really promising to me. Hoping to get great climb aspect ratio w/wing lift at high motor output (mounted below middle wing) and best of all very tight turn ratio without major loss of lift through turn, maybe circles 4' diameter at 2:1 climb, correcting to straight climb at any time? Would be cool. Note the weight-low pendulum design, lipo and rx would be on lowest wing. This is a crude but stable gliding prototype, note the bendy straw universal tail orientation piece, that just fell together but is really useful in prototyping. I can post video of the glide is still in crude and promising state. Next is finalizing dimensions in ext. polys. Any advise always appreciated - John

Name:	Zx69941.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	511151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64544.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	511152  
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

GP, it sounds like you burned a bearing. While I can't find AA's online at the major stores. I found some at K-mart. Assuming they are still available I will buy a couple tomorrow. Given that you are in SoCal; wal-mart, TRU, Target, and K-mart all stock the AA's, surely you can find some. My w mod burnt a bearing due to an unbalanced prop. I have to find a drill bit small enough to cut the blockage in the prop and yet keep the press on hold. Earlier on this forum the balancer was shown. Good Luck. Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.