Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 AM
HAF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Ok, I have had my AA's for about 3 weeks now, went out and bought 3 after stumbling on this thread. My B channel bipe flys so well I haven't had the guts to rip the bottom wings off, but my C channel wasn't so lucky. (The 3rds still in the box) [8D] But at least now it's a great flyer and glides good enough that I decided to do the Turning Mod to the TX. I was able to accomplish the mod even with awful soldering skills and shaky hands (must of been luck).

Since I'm a gambler I decided to try for the Channel Switch Mod. But I have ONE stupid question do I need to desolder the the jumper on my C or B TX? ( I assume I do but just want confirmation the Mod in the aatoolbox doesn't mention this step)

Thanks

Dennis
Old 10-16-2006, 02:00 AM
Ayrton S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE
Ayrton, did you try the stir stick mod?
Neuro, micro, ayrton, mega-byte or anyone else, can the lipo or circuit board be damaged by soldering the wires to replacement motors together? Tim
Hey Tim!

Thanks for digging out the pics of the stir-stick mod for me. My mono soesn't seem to need wing support even with the extensions - (that is what they're for isn't it?) - if it did I'd probably try 1mm CF rod for lightness. I'm still in shock from temporarily losing my wingletted AA - haven't flown it since. Gonna rip those suckers off for outdoor use - it's just way too floaty.

When you speak of 'soldering the wires to replacement motors together' - do you just mean in line (in 'series' so to speak) or are you talking of paralleling 2 motors?

Ayrton
Old 10-16-2006, 04:56 AM
electronron

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, you do have to remove the solder bridge used for the channel selection.

Take care installing your switch making sure it doesn't interfere with the throttle and if you use a long nose pliers to tighten nut be carefull it doesn't slip or you'll damage the the switch.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Ayrton S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey!

Check this out!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux497FTW_5M&NR]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux497FTW_5M&NR[/link]

Like my mate Woolly said, "I taught that guy everything he knows, then I woke up..."

Ayrton
Old 10-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Djstinger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ayrton , thank you for posting the results from the Tx I sold. I think I did OK on it. If anyone is looking for light kits for your AA I have 2 in stock ready to ship for $15.00 , If interested please PM me. Thank you.

What does it matter if I am from aamods.com or not , I hope I didn't say something that was untrue... I am just filling a void in the AA market place out of my garage and stand by anything that I sell or modify.

Fern , did I say how much I like your stir stick mod yet.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:17 PM
SnitGTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a question a little off topic, has anyone flown the Mirco Ultrix Biplane? I saw it at towerhobbies for $20 plus $8.99 shipping and I couldn't resist. It's slightly bigger then the AA with a 13" wingspan. Well, it arrived today and it's georgous out so I'm going to take it out and let you know how she flies. I gave her a test glide and she seemed right on, so I have high hopes. She looks like she could be mod'd pretty easily too, everything looks like it is screwed into place with really tiny screws.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
SnitGTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, I'm back! Here's my review of the Micro Ultrix Biplane:

The plane is rock steady and it was balanced perfectly right out of the box! Flew about the same speed as the AA, but none of the poiposing that you get from the AA. Controls were a little sluggish, probably due to the stability of the plane, but I was able to turn 180 degrees in about 25 feet. My only real complaint is that my flight time was about 2 minutes. I'm hoping it'll improve since that was the first charge of the battery. They claim that the "NiMH battery provides long flight times" but does not specify what "long flight times" is. Between the Micro Ultrix and the AA, I would say the AA is more fun to fly, but I had fun flying the Micro Ultrix Biplane and I would recommend it to others looking for something new.

Ok, just got back from my second outing and I found a definate flaw that makes the AA 100x better then the Micro Ultrix Biplane. It's no where near as durable!!! I had a somewhat rough landing with the right wing hitting first, nothing terrible though, so I picked it up and tossed it again and it pulled hard left and hit the ground left wing first. Here's what happened. Turns out on the first rough landing, the bottom right wing broke at the body. I didn't even bother to look at the plane because I've been so spoiled by the durabiltiy of the AA's I've been flying. When I tossed it the second time I broke the left wing at the base!!! So now I have 2 broken wings! I was quite upset, so I put the Micro Ultrix Biplace back in my car and flew my trusty AA a couple times and went home. The damage isn't fatal, I can definately fix it with some epoxy. However for a 2 channel plane that is going to have rouch landings here and there, it should be a lot more durable then what it is. So in conclusion, the Micro Ultrix is not a bad plane, but it is more fragile then the AA and you might end up fixing it a lot!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Ayrton S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Djstinger
Ayrton , thank you for posting the results from the Tx I sold. I think I did OK on it. If anyone is looking for light kits for your AA I have 2 in stock ready to ship for $15.00 , If interested please PM me. Thank you.
Hey DJ!

I didn't even realise it was a forum member who was selling the Tx! durr![&o] I guess I figured u were just reporting the sale. Anyway, no slight intended, your mod looks great, I have one of Megabyte's Tx's and it rocks. Glad u made the sale - I suppose I was amused by the SHOUTING in your reply

At the mo, I daren't even fly mine in daytime, never mind at night so I guess the lights aren't much use to me unless... I suppose it would make it easier to find ........ [8D]

Ayrton

Old 10-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Patrick_W

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well yesterday i got the aa jet... its a B channel this time, my bipe is an A channel. The b channel glitches like crazy, and the radio range sucks. But other than the range and glitching, i LOVE the aa jet! its awesome! i still love my bipe too tho... next up is a picco z then an aero soarer or two... micros rock
Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Djstinger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No harm done , I hope I did not offend anyone over at aamods.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:15 PM
Patrick_W

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ive been flying my jet lately.... i decided to fly my bipe, but i took some foam off the rear of it.... WOW its so much different to fly than the jet! with the mono mod, i have to keep it on the lowest throttle setting all the time and it still climbs! It if i give it a little more down elevator, should i be able to give it more throttle without climbing? btw, im getting the picco z tonight if im lucky, there was none at TRU, so we are checking wally world and target ... now if i could just fire up the chainsaw on a couple of my neighbors trees, i could have some fun with these micros...
Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Neurotex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Patrick_W

i have to keep it on the lowest throttle setting all the time and it still climbs! It if i give it a little more down elevator, should i be able to give it more throttle without climbing?
yeah... give it some down elevator and add about a gram to the nose.
After some flights try some different wing designs. The top wing comes
off just like the bottom halves.
New wings can be made from foam or stick & tissue and can make quite
a difference!
I posted this pic before but any ways...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99956.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	542270  
Old 10-16-2006, 06:51 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ayrton, aa mods is defaulting on orders. So if you were selling an aa part you might wish to disassociate yourself from them.

Dj, thanks again for letting me know that the stir stick is working for you. I just got mine down from the roof and after flying straight mono mods it took a minute to get used to it again. Now it is the favorite again.

Patrick are you sure your b channel is glitching and your a channel is good? That goes against the aa lore. But I guess anything is possible.

Snit, thanks for the product review. I looked at those on the tower website and thought about buying one, I was looking at the mono version, but I read somewhere on this forum the were a bit fragile. You have confirmed this for me. Since most of my landings are due to rapid decelleration, I think I'll avoid this plane.

Tim
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ayrton, if I could figure out how I missed the earlier post... I am simply replacing the motor. Clip and strip, solder and insulate. I can't figure out what my problem is, but I have dead airplanes after I'm done.

The stir stick mod gives you more positive control over the airframe. The drawback is that hitting a gust of wind or a thermal will also give you a feedback. The theory behind the stir stick mod is to allow the energy created by the wing to be transmitted back to the fusalage(fuse). This mod is a bit harder to fly, but once you get it figured out you want all of your birds to fly the same. I still enjoy the mono mods, but I have another mono mod that is getting ready for the stir stick mod. BTW, my night flier is not a stir stick, but is a mono mod. It may get winglets though.

A novel thought, If you try out a members mod, let the member know. If it doesn't work out, or if it does. I mod in a vacuum, I'll post what I'm doing and tell you my results. But I'm modding to my flight style. I may think I've figured out a new wrinkle for better flight and post on it. I'll get no response, I'll keep flying it but unless asked about it won't push it. Canards come to mind. So does the W mod. And silk ribbon. DJstinger acknowledged the stir stick mod twice(thank you again), suzonka tried out the toothpick mod, (try the stir stick mod it's better). We all work better in an environment that gives us feedback, both good and bad. And if all you want to do is fly and read, great, but take 1 minute and let anyone that helped you get a better flight know that they helped. Sorry about the diatribe, but I think it needed to be said.

Tim
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Djstinger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pat , you must be getting interference from some where I have not heard of ana B acting like this. B's are bar non the best channel for the bipe and jet , IMO.

Fern , You are right the stir stick mod does take a few flights to get used to but it is worth it.

FYI my mono is not stock it has the mosfet upgrade and I have my jet rx and motors in it as well , lets just say it hauls ass. With the stir stick mod it turns crisp and is very predictable but like fern said when the wind catches it , it catches it. The plane is more forgiving with out them but I like speed I know speed kills but it sure is fun.When I built my boat 15yrs ago I got the fastest hull and the biggest motor I could find , same with my tmaxx , stock is great but extend the chassis and throw a 3 hp big block on it and chrome it out , now were talking...oops got a little of the subject , No I didn't RC RULES...

LIGHTS FOR SALE
Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Patrick_W

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its not interference. its done it every time ive flown it, in 3 places, one of which is 15 miles from where i usually fly... i know its really weird, i was kind of bewildered my self... its a combonation of a really good A and a really really bad B... i cant beleive that its so bad, i acually tried to get a B from the store.. i could take it back but im too lazy..
Old 10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Neurotex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got tired of fighting that little trim knob so I installed a larger
lever. Now I can trim and steer the plane with just my thumb
or forefinger during flight with better accuracy.
Throwing both sticks to one side or the other I can get better
spin dives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sq46288.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	542853  
Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 PM
klouche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

as for a lightweight AA, i took one of mine and cut out most of the insides of the wings wing, leaving just a skeleton of foam, and covered it with tissue. also replaced the tail boom with some .030 CF, 1/32" balsa tail feathers, and trimmed as much foam from the inside of the fuse as possible. that along with other simple things like removing the switch, the charging diode, electrolytic cap, and other little things, my weight was just over 15 grams. ironically, i dont think i even tried to fly it

Micro, if you get a chance, please post a pic of the lightened AA. Especially the RX mods.

I've been working on a balsa/tissue AA powered "walking speed" plane with 180 square inch wing. But the RX's keep failing. One becuase I could not repair a motor wire to RX connection. The other two just had one motor stop working (motors test OK). So, I may just lighten the AA and attach this large wing, but I'm afraid of even looking at the RX.

Kevin
Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 PM
micro_builder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi Kevin,
here's a couple pics of the lightened AA. it didnt take much, just cut out some slots in the wings, trimmed as much foam from the inside of the fusealge as possible, CF tail boom, 1/32" tail feathers, and thats about it.

i dont have a pic of the modded RXs at the moment, but most of the mods require some decent soldering skills. i removed the M7 charging diode, the blue electrolytic cap, the charging plug and prongs, and the switch. doing these mods will drop the weight of the RX down to about a gram. i was able to do these modifications because i charge the cells with my own charger, not the stock TX charger. most of the components need to remain on the RX if you're charging with the TX though. i'll try to find a pic of the RX.

nick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bz78882.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	542926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87375.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	542927  
Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Neurotex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: klouche

I've been working on a balsa/tissue AA powered "walking speed" plane with 180 square inch wing. But the RX's keep failing. One becuase I could not repair a motor wire to RX connection. The other two just had one motor stop working (motors test OK). So, I may just lighten the AA and attach this large wing, but I'm afraid of even looking at the RX.

Kevin
180 sq. inches!?!
What is that? 3 foot span- 5" chord?
Seems to me the motors are drawing too much trying to lift that
gargantuan wing and frying the Rx's transistors. Look into an FET mod.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dj, since you have the faster motors, can you get loops? I can get straight stalls and turns. Flip turns are regular for me, and sometimes end in the plane on the roof(like now). Loops escape me however. Tim
Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kids playing with the carcuses(carci?) of rc planes makes the lost money easier to bear. They don't care about the money spent, they just want to have fun and throw from the second story porch. Tim
Old 10-17-2006, 10:44 PM
SnitGTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ferndale,
I came really close to getting a loop yesterday with my stock AA. Here's how I did it. I set the trim adjust all the way left because my AA has a tendency to turn left if the trim was centered, this allows me to turn very fast. I had about a 5 mph wind and I hover in it holding the stick to the right to keep it level. When I'm ready, I snap the stick left and she makes a snap turn 180 degree and go full throttle with the wind to get as much speed as I can. (the turn makes it nose down so full throttle brings it back level and moving pretty well) I then gradually made a 90 degree left turn to try to keep my momentum so I'm now running parallel with the wind and about 1/4 power. Snap left turn into the wind and full power. I tried this several times, and on my best attempt I swear she got her nose over but lost all her momentum and the nose came back down... Maybe with a little more wind I coulda had the extra umph I needed to get her around, maybe a bigger wing woulda done it too, who knows. I think that this way will definately work, it's just a matter of tweaking and time.

Snit
Old 10-18-2006, 12:30 AM
klouche

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

180 sq. inches!?!
What is that? 3 foot span- 5" chord?
Seems to me the motors are drawing too much trying to lift that
gargantuan wing and frying the Rx's transistors. Look into an FET mod.

You might be on to something. The last RX failure occured after some full power test flying. Perhaps 3 minutes of it. I would think that is within RX design limits. It also occured on the side where I extended the motor wiring so there may have been some extra resistance. If the FET mod involes RX soldering, I'll have to consider this experiment a dead end. The wing is 30 inches with a 6 inch chord. About 40 grams in AUW.

Micro, thanks for the pictures. I think it's worth another $30 to give this one more try.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:33 AM
SnitGTS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Klouche,
Another thing you might want to try is make the wing with a shorter chord. I don't know how you have your wing constructed, but if you can make a 30" wingspan with a 2" or even 3" chord would have much less drag then with a 6" chord. Plus think of all the weight you'll save! Even if you made your wingspan a little longer, it would definately help. Think of a glider, they have long narrow wings because they're highly efficient and have little drag. Worth a shot anyway...

Snit

Search this Thread