Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Neurotex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I think prop strikes cause premature rx death.
That could be. I found that I fried one RX due to a faulty jet motor.
The motor seemed to cause a little more drag than the one on the
other side and sure enough after time it fried the RX.
I then used this same jet motor on another RX and over time it started
cutting out that RX. I replaced the motors with that of an 05 bipe and
the RX works fine now.
Keeping the motors well lubricated should also increase the life of the RX.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 PM
ooosadface

OK, you guys got another one... [8D]

My wife's birth mother bought each of my kids one for Christmas [a bipe for the youngest (10 yrs) and a jet for the oldest (12 yrs)]. Well, being the coffee loving dad I am I sent them out in the side yard with their planes while I went to make a pot of Dunkin' Donuts coffee (mmmm), by the time I got out there (5 min maybe) they were hootin and hollerin flying every which way having a grand 'ole time. I, thinking they tossed them and didn't really have mush control over where they were going, asked to try one.

Fast forward 1 week...

I now have a bipe and a jet, my youngest son has a bipe and my oldest son has a bipe and a jet and the [link=http://jakkspacific.com/xpv/]XPV Fly Wheels[/link]. The XPV is going back because it didn't come with a battery and we can't find one at Kmart or Wal-Mart and he will instead be purchasing the [link=https://www.spinmaster.com/product.php?productid=16219&s=reflex]Air Hogs Reflex[/link] (mini helicopter).

These are addicting, and though I've only had about 20 minutes of flight time, I'm already looking to get another bipe just to modify!! The only mod I've done so far is the throttle spring. I didn't pull it off like I'd seen others on this site, but rather lift the spring, push the throttle forward and let the spring lay back down and stay where it is. I hope that won't damage anything, but it seems out of the way enough.

It's raining today, so this evening my kids and I will be working on a Lego launching platform to see if we can get it to take off from a rolling start in the house without attaching any landing gear.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Welcome aboard sad face, I think the most important mod is the turn w/o throttle mod. Then the stir stick mod. Have fun, Tim
Old 01-04-2007, 07:29 PM
yoyoboy

what is the stir stick mod
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 PM
ooosadface

ORIGINAL: yoyoboy

what is the stir stick mod
I think it is the second post at the AA mods thread...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4886434/tm.htm

Remove the bottom wing and support the top with stir sticks..

The lego platform (wheels and flat based) worked well for turning the bipe into an RC car. Building up legos on the sides of the plane kept it from falling off and pretty steerable with enough space. Not enough power to launch though.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Your correct it is the first mod on the mod thread. If you are new to these planes I would recommend the double stir stick first, and on your second plane the single stir stick mod. They fly different from each other. I figured these mods out so I'm biased, but I have many intermediate mods on the mods page. But I still think the electronics mod is more important. RS sells the diodes in question 10 for 1.39. If you fly enough you may come up with aero mods that aren't listed, but the turn w/o throttle mod is what will make your breakthrough possible. Enjoy your planes, Tim
Old 01-06-2007, 09:30 AM
yoyoboy

hi guys i have gotten my first aero ace it took it out of he box and charged it it seems that one prop stops before the second. is that something i should be worried about or not. and how can i speed that prop up. i already tried wd 40 and it didnt help.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Neurotex

That's odd that I would read your post just after posting this.

I would take it back for an exchange.

That's usually a first sign that trouble is on the way.
One jet I had had the same symptoms. Even lubricating the motor
didn't help. Over time it got worse, even though the plane still flew
by over trimming the rudders & stab to compensate for it, it eventually
burnt out the RX for that motor side.
Not knowing at the time if it was the RX or the motor, I put that motor
on another plane and had the same problems. Finally I wised up and
scrapped the motor.
Replace the motor and retrim the plane. Straighten out the wing and
try flying it again.
If you can't return it, buy another one- at least you'll have a parts plane.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Neurotex

Finishing up the frame work on this gull wing plane.
Looks more lake a Van Halen logo than a wing.
I'm thinking of having a V tail to stabilize it but I'm wondering if the
the V of the gull wing will cause problems for that type of tail.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23149.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	592001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76511.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	592002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61919.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	592003  
Old 01-06-2007, 04:44 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hi All, just got home from shopping. I got a GWS Slow Stick, and a turbo fury. I guess I'll have to look up the TF on rc groups. I am looking forward to flying the SS as well. Tim[8D]
Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 PM
sgrossweiler

here is the green barron

im thinking of building a balsa wood and tissu paper wonder soon out of the jet aa

Name:	Wt59368.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	592071  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:40 PM
cac00001

Hi Smitty,

I have two of the Acro Jets personally, and I am selling them on EBAY. This is my favorite Air Hog yet. As any of these AA or Air Hogs modifications must be done. The biggest tip I have for all is to cut off the two front wings with a razor and leaving the Main wings only. I have found that this will greatly reduce the porposing. I think the front wings give it too much negative incidence, possibly a silverlit design to give you some kind of acrobatic capability. With the front wings removed this plane flys better than my AA.

Please Enjoy,

Scott
Old 01-06-2007, 06:00 PM
sgrossweiler

has any one managed to take off with landing gear? i want to add some but i would like to know if it is posible
Old 01-06-2007, 06:33 PM
yoyoboy

yes u can takeoff and land with landing gear. heres a link http://youtube.com/watch?v=5nNvHF1zyWc i picked up one of these things yesterday and i flew it today. im really impressed how something so inexpensive can fly so well.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:35 AM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

sgrossweiler, there's a good handfull of links for landing gear mods that have been done in the aeroace mods sticky, as well as a bunch of other good things. i never got around to going through the rest of the thread, but it'll get done someday scroll down about halfway down the page and you'll see the links for the landing gear. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4886434/tm.htm

nick
Old 01-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: sgrossweiler

im thinking of building a balsa wood and tissu paper wonder soon out of the jet aa
I've been looking around but I'm surprised no one like Guillow's
or some other company hasn't come out with a balsa kit made
for the AA yet.
With all the AA's sold it seems like a no brainer.
Not even any replacement foamies either so you could fly different
planes designs.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Neuro, didn't UAV Flyer indicate that at a meeting someone recommended selling them as components, in conjuction with white planes? Also I think fly-m planes has a balsa plane for the ace. They were working on a warthog version as well. Ok, Fly-m has some planes built around the ace gear. Here's your link,[link=http://www.fly-m.com]www.fly-m.com[/link]Tim
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
ooosadface

WOW! FYI - Just tried the penny in the nose of the bi-plane and I am AMAZED at the difference!! Flies with so much more control and climbs much higher. We were even able to fly it in higher winds than before. All three of our bi-planes now have the slot in the front with a penny in it.

Slow but sure the mods are happening! Thanks again for these threads and the users input!
Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Neurotex

I do remember something about white planes but I couldn't find
anything in my search about them selling kits for the AA.

fly-M does have a couple of kits- even a 4 motor jobby- I wonder
if he stresses the fet mod when building that one?

Still, I was looking for something put out by the larger manufacturers.
I did send Guillow's an e-mail- wonder if they'll get back to me.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Neuro, have you flown an ace with either of the stir stick mods? I'm wondering if I no longer notice the porpoising, ie adjust for it without thinking about it, or if the mod solved it. Micro, have you flown the stir stick mods? DJStinger didn't like the first flight, but loved the second. I only have one plane that is not set up that way. Tim

Sad face, I just maidened an Ace with the double stir stick mod and experienced no porpoising. If your flying in basic bipe setup, I put a little up elevator to cancel the porpoising. I know it sounds wrong but it works. I didn't like the penny/dime mod because your adding weight to the plane. In bipe mode I think the plane weighs about 24g. A penny weighs 2.3g. You're adding 10% more weight to solve a problem with airflow. Try out the up elevator, or try out a double stir stick mod. I think you'll be happy either way. Tim
Old 01-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Neurotex

I haven't tried it because I have no stock bipes left.
All the planes that I've built have some porpoising to some degree
since there's no way to control the elevator while flying. I've tried
everything I can think of and the closest I've come to getting rid of
it is to have a canard or a boomerang wing. But then this causes
other effects to happen.

Adding weight will lessen the abruptness of the porpoising in my
opinion. It just makes it harder for the thrust to pop up the front end.
Some of my planes are heavy at 20 to 23 grams. They're easier to
control for me and easier to trim.

A heavy plane for the stock bipe though will cause a loss of lift. Adding
a lighter wing with more wing area will solve this problem. The wings
I build have about 35" to 40" sq inches of wing area and weigh about
4 to 6 grams. I have no problem getting a nice steady climb out of em.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 AM
ooosadface

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE
Sad face, I just maidened an Ace with the double stir stick mod and experienced no porpoising. If your flying in basic bipe setup, I put a little up elevator to cancel the porpoising. I know it sounds wrong but it works. I didn't like the penny/dime mod because your adding weight to the plane. In bipe mode I think the plane weighs about 24g. A penny weighs 2.3g. You're adding 10% more weight to solve a problem with airflow. Try out the up elevator, or try out a double stir stick mod. I think you'll be happy either way. Tim
Definitely going to try the stir stick mod someday, but I'm not ready to drastically change the plane yet. Removing the bottom wing cannot be undone as easily undone as removing the coin. I'm just about up to the 'guts' point where I'm going to go in with a solder iron and make it turn with no throttle. Since I have 2 C planes I have an extra controller so a screw up isn't a 100% loss. Can't say that for the bi-plane yet!

Like I said, we're easing into these and trying to get some flight time between each mod so we understand fully what has been bettered and worsened. Finding good flight time in Danville, IL in the winter isn't easy either, but this coin mod gave us so much control over the plane even in the wind that we now have more time flying (only frostbite takes us indoors now!! ).

Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Neurotex

Installed the RX. The motors & props barely fit through the
top wing mount.
Now to cover the wings- which I keep putting off. I still can't
find a decent light film covering around here so I might have
to go with the tissue & dope again. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Name:	Ig11692.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	593886  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
funkoptimus

My first post here and I must say this place and this thread are very impressive. I tried to read most of it but 160+ pages..wow!!! Just got my AA a couple days ago but havent really flown it as my livingroom is to small for it and it is really windy as of late.

Couple of questions. Sorry I am sure they have been asked.

First off I live in the frigid North in Minnesota and I am wondering how they do in the cold. I read in the instructions that it is a no no to do in 45 degrees or less. Is a big deal?? If you dont see a problem how do they do with snow. Obviously they shouldnt get wet but what about a large plowed parking lot with minimal snow.

2nd question. Is there a charger that can be used so I dont fill a landfill with AA batteries. I read about some mods but couldnt find a link to pictures and instructions that made sense. Obviously a charger would be easier.

3rd question. I hear some people say not to use rechargables in the transmiter as they are bad for the lipo in the plane when recharging it. But I see some do. Can someone clarify this for me.

Thanx in advance!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

sad face, you just peel the lower wing out. Don't cut it. If you don't like the flight parameters peel out the hot glue, put you lower wing back in, and go. If your not comfortable soldering electronics for dummies will help. I recommend a 25w or higher soldering iron(I use 25w) and practice on small paper clips. Reading glasses are an immense help as well. have fun Tim

Funk, I think the temp rule has to do with the battery. The high here on thursday is supposed to be in the low 40's If it's dry I'll be flying. It does seem to use more battery though. I get 18 charges on average from regular batteries. For more info on rechargable batteries try the aero ace mods sticky, I think that info is there. As to the Lipo inside the plane I have had no luck finding them in the states. I'm still looking and when I find them I will post that info both here and on the mods page, Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.