Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 PM
googledperson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

ORIGINAL: Neurotex

ORIGINAL: googledperson

does the cold really effect lipo efficiency or is it just the electronics?
Don't know, maybe a little of both. I noticed a reduction in flying time.
It charged the full 10 minutes but flew only about 5 or 6 minutes.

Picked up the Rare Earth magnets. They're strong and will easily hold
a wing in place. The problem is that I didn't get out of Radio Shack
without buying this Nikko Lamborghini- which was only $15- which I
still shouldn't be spending bucks on. need gas money
So now my son's doing Tokyo drifts across the kitchen floor.
Thanks micro... I think...
whats the power source for those i think i saw one on clearance at my RS
Old 02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

If it's the one I bought after christmas 3" long, double aa's.

Hey all, go to e-bay and run a search for mini storm launcher[8D]
Tim
Old 02-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: googledperson

whats the power source for those i think i saw one on clearance at my RS
They were on clearance, normally $20.
The TX needs a 9v and the car runs on 2 AA's.
They also had a red Ferrari and a Ford GT. About 5" long. 1/32 scale.
Even comes with a nice plastic display case. Runs great too.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Yep, that's what I bought, for $10. I haven't seen it for a while, my nephew(3) fell in love with it. It was ok in my apartment for a while, but last I checked he has it in his room. The rule is if you take a toy out of my apartment, you have to put one back here. He followed through, he put a car that he doesn't like as much in the toy box here .

I'm going to work on the stryke force AA conversion tonight. Looks pretty simple. I just have to decide on jet or bipe motors. Worked on the four motor last night and am about ready to pull the plug. I changed the aoa and it still seemed poor. The last thing I can do with that one is sanding off foam to get the weight down. The slow stick is done.

Tim
Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 AM
GantryG

Neurotex,

That is funny! Looks like they rushed it into production thinking to cash
in while the AA's are still hot.
Busy they are: Spin Master is coming out with another plane already- the Mini Storm Launcher. Info in this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5388927/tm.htm
Old 02-09-2007, 04:14 PM
skunkworks2006

Replacement Props!!!
I found replacement props! I know that most of us have never broken an AA prop, but if you fly the jet or land the bip upside down on pavement like I did, you just might need replacements. I called Spinmaster and they can't/won't sell them separate. However, I did discover that the Estes yellow and purple plane #4160 comes with an extra set and they fit right on. They are a bit of a spoon prop. I slipped one onto a jet and I can't really tell a difference (besides the sound). The thrust seems to be about the same, but I have no way to accurately measure. Anyhow, they aren't listed on Estes website, but in an e-mail I was told:

"Item # 061920, the cost is 1.99 cents for a set of 2 plus shipping. Shipping charges are $3.25 for merchandise up to $5.00 and for merchandise/orders between $5.01 up to $30.00 the shipping charge is $7.99. We accept Visa or Master Card. This item is currently on backorder. You can place your order and as soon as the item becomes available your order would ship. Your credit card will not be charged until the order is ready to ship."

Not too bad if you need them. I'm ordering 2 pair to save on shipping.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:40 PM
MegaByte-2

Hi All,

I just had a revelation. Actually, it was a "duh".......moment. LOL

There is a simple way to add the 2 - IRLML2502's Mosfets on a good AA Rx, without touching the original outputs (BV4, BV5), for running bigger motors up to N20's & Super Slicks and still keep the 2 motor differential thrust like the stock AA. You could actually run 2 stock AA motors per side. No actuator is needed for turning! It will fly and turn just like the original , just be able to have MORE POWER for faster or larger creations! No extra load on the original outputs either.
If enough are interested, I'll make the drawing, pdf it and post it on my website.

Its so simple, I have no idea why I didn't think of it before.

Tony
ARS Software & Innovative Solutions
http://www.falcon1.net/~ars/rcmodels.html
Old 02-09-2007, 10:08 PM
alset

YES - I am interested! I just read the post while warming up the iron to practice putting in some 6401's in a bad RX. But it would be nice to mod some good RX's with the 2502's until the BV4,5 give out and I have to swap to the 6401's
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 PM
MegaByte-2

alset,

I'm getting quite a few requests already! I'm about done with the drawing now. I want to wire one up too just to make sure. The BV4,BV5's shouldn't fail if this method is used since they become just signal drivers with very little load. So it bypass's the AA's weakness.
If to large a load is put on the 2502, it shold blow and not take the BV4,5 with it. Since it gets soldered to the end of the board, most should be able to do it. Not nearly as tough as digging around in the middle of the Rx for the BV4,5 and with the possibility of ruining a good Rx just to use bigger motors. The drawing will have the motors wires color coded as the real AA motors to eliminate confusion. The pdf will have instructions so hopefully newcomers to rc & soldering will get in on the fun too.

Gantry,

Shame they didnt have the fore sight to make it a 3 ch. That would have made it another product they couldnt keep on the shelf. One good thing, the design of the SL is such that it needs bigger motors to fly. So the Rx should be better in that respect even in the mini. I just wonder how chunky they made it(Rx). I doubt its an upgraded AA.
The new Air Dasher is supposed to be 3ch, but its still ominus on how they are doing it. Its listed as an X-Twin "series". This has me intrigued.

There was a post on being at the mercy of SilverLit. I dont think it comes to that. Companies make different cars that all use gas motors with pistons....
I cant see any patent being that exclusive. Someone can come out with a nice small proportional 3ch single motor dual actuatored rudder/elevator setup. Nick Leichtey & Plantraco have some 2 & 4ch. We are just bargain basement shopping for the best sub $50 to hack to death. LOL

Edit: Skunkworks: If you will email me the details , site address, and such, I'll see if i can strike a deal with them on a bulk purchase. That way I can add them to my site and reduce the shipping charges indiviuals have to pay. Are they left and right twist props?
Ferndale: I could do the same for the batteries too. I don't want to step on you thunder if you are planning on selling them though. Let me know.

Tony
Old 02-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: MegaByte-2

Edit: Skunkworks: If you will email me the details , site address, and such, I'll see if i can strike a deal with them on a bulk purchase. That way I can add them to my site and reduce the shipping charges indiviuals have to pay. Are they left and right twist props?
I was wondering that also- are they left & right props?

What's the problem getting these props? They should be a dime a dozen.
This problem has been going on for almost two years now.
The postage & handling is ridiculous. What's it take to throw a couple of
props in an envelope and send it out for a buck? The guy on ebay was
selling 2 for a total of $11.
I can just envision a large bin over at Spinmaster's containing thousands
of em.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:01 AM
MegaByte-2

Well..........I tried many months ago to deal with Spinmaster & Air Hogs on buying motors, props, lipos and Rx's. Didnt matter what quantity I asked about, we're talking in the 100's ea, Its just not an option for them. End of story. I even asked about buying the returns, no warranty, no dice. I started jacking the numbers up to see if I was "to small" for them to deal with. They didn't flinch.
You know there is a giant warehouse/s with a slew of returns with just one flaw sitting there somewhere. Appearently doing nothing and going nowhere. What a waste.
I spoke to a person I know at Walmarts. These are a returned item to the manufacturer. Not pitched in nthe garbage like some items........yes, they do that on some things.
You would think if they arent going to sell parts, they could have made them with standard parts so replacements could be purchased to support their product. But Noooooo.......
They are looking at a $30 toy. Break it, replace it.

Now you've got me going again!!!!!!!

As far as the Estes props go.....get me the contact info, email me, so I can check about the twist or tell me they are left and right and I'll try for 100 sets(for starters) and see if will work with me on the shipping crap.

BTW, All tests have passed on the 2502 addon but one. I need to strip a new jet I have to do that test. All of mine have the switches removed. Believe me, you need to test it with the switch in the PCB. I know from past designs it will work, but I want to be 100% before I post it. Should be up later this afternoon.

Tony
Old 02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

about a year and a half ago i had sent spin master an email asking about getting spare props. they told me they'd have them within a couple months. again, that was about a year and a half ago the tyco skyforce planes use props that are pretty much identical to the AAs, maybe we can get them from tyco instead. if we can, it'll be a big loss to spinmaster/silverlit - like its been said, how hard could it possibly be to send out some props? i guess we're too small of a group (us people on these boards) to make it worthwhile for them to send out - everyone here may want spares, but there's really not a lot of us compared to the entire buying market. then again, if estes/cox/tyco can do it, why not them?

Tony,
looking forward to seeing this new mod. is it as simple as just putting the fets on the RX outputs?

nick

edit: well, i searched high and low on Tycos website, they dont even have the SkyForce planes listed. so, i checked Mattel, tycos parent company, and they dont have the skyforce listed either. neither site has an email contact, just phone numbers.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 PM
alset

As far as props go, it would be nice to have someone make props bigger than the 45mm AAs but not too big - like 55mm to 60mm to give a little more oomph when replacing the 6mm motors with 7mm SS. Of course the key would be to have both left and right hand props. I'm not an expert, but I presume that bigger props with bigger motors, in this case, would give more thrust.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Neurotex

Tony, I know you've been trying to get props & parts for some
time and can't believe the hassle you're going through.
Seems to me Spinmaster would want to keep their plane's flying.
More people see em, ask about em, then go out and purchase one.
Now it looks like they just want you to go out and purchase parts
planes. They sure don't waste time putting new product on the shelves.

Well, the NP-40 is completely covered. Now for paint.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51103.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	617878  
Old 02-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: micro_builder

like its been said, how hard could it possibly be to send out some props? i guess we're too small of a group (us people on these boards) to make it worthwhile for them to send out - everyone here may want spares, but there's really not a lot of us compared to the entire buying market. then again, if estes/cox/tyco can do it, why not them?

I can remeber years back when my son was just a lil tot. When one
of his toys broke or a part was lost we'd call the manufacturer. They'd
ship the part to us at no charge, postage free, just to keep the customer
happy. Mattel was especially great at this. Some companies care about
customer relations- others don't.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 PM
skunkworks2006

That's looking nice Neurotex

Estes props are counter rotating. Infact...They even have "right" and "left" printed on them.
All the info I have is just as I posted. I e-mailed customer service from their home page and got the response
"Item # 061920, the cost is 1.99 cents for a set of 2 plus shipping. Shipping charges are $3.25 for merchandise up to $5.00 and for merchandise/orders between $5.01 up to $30.00 the shipping charge is $7.99. We accept Visa or Master Card. This item is currently on backorder. You can place your order and as soon as the item becomes available your order would ship. Your credit card will not be charged until the order is ready to ship."

Not real cheap, but better than $30 for a whole new AA. I'll try to post some pics in a day or two when I have more time.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:44 PM
trroadster

I bought a Mattell Tyco Skyforce and broke a prop the first session. Like you I checked the website to no avail so I called them. They were very friendly but couldn't help as they have no spares at this time. "It's a new product" just coming on stream. They do have a 90 day guarantee ( as does Silverlit) and promised to send a voucher for the purchase price so I could get a replacement. That was Monday. Haven't seen it yet but my fingers are crossed.

Has anyone, as in you techie guys, taken one of these apart? Do they appear to come from the same factory?

I do like teh plug in nature of the TYco as it makes it easy to have several planes and swap power systems. Currently have a B-25 and a DC-3 ready for "decoration and then power.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2007, 04:37 PM
MegaByte-2

Well......it done , tested , passed.........you are gonna love it. My contribution back to the group! I' doing the message instructions in word so I cn copy and pase it in. It really doesnt need much. At least I dont think so. You can tell me so I can make sure everyone understands and can do it. Very easy add on.

I wouldnt want to play poker with the babe on the phone from SpinDumpster. She could take the pot on a bluff easy! Her tone never changed when I hit 1000. No, wait and let me ask, or a pause to think abt asking...........just the exact same tone and answer.

Neuro,

Thats sharp. I liked the build pics along the way with the router decsription. Looks like it should be a good flyer.

Tyco has a good idea on making the modules. I think that could catch on for some. Just build and swap. Just need a template to cut from.n I havent seen one to see the weight on them. That may be a drawback. Dont know.

Time to write and get this thing posted!

Tony
Old 02-10-2007, 05:08 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Tony, I have a request for props through UH, I'll let you know. Same with batteries.

I thought I posted pics of a gutted strik force module already. I'm close to finishing it off. I'm using the ace pcb and the factory motors. I can get weights as well.[8D] Tim
Old 02-10-2007, 05:32 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

i had a peek inside the skyforce planes before i returned mine. they're not the same, the RX is a larger than the AAs, lipo is the same, and the motors are either the same as the AA jet and other new AA planes, or they're 7mm motors (they've been quoted as putting out 20 grams of thrust, so 10 grams of thrust from one 6mm motor, even a long can version, seems quite high). i did weigh the equipment though, all the plastic bits, RX, lipo, and motors came in at 13.5 grams. if one were to remove the plastic casing from the RX/lipo and the motor pods, it would probably be pretty close the the AA equipment of around 10 grams.

the quality of the skyforce planes is what has turned me off from them though. so far just about everyone has experienced serious range issues, only resolving it by either letting the antenna hang down under the plane, or extending the antenna - neither of which i'd like to do. there's also no steering with throttle off, like the AA, and i dont know if its possible to mod it to fix that. not to mention, there seems to be only one channel. Spinmasters does have a patent on their RX, specifically on it using a microprocessor. i think its pretty lame that they would do that, as it makes the tyco and estes planes subpar on the electronics side of things, which is a bummer.

just my .02!

neurotex, the racer is looking good. still going to go with the checker paint scheme?

Tony, hurry!

nick
Old 02-10-2007, 06:27 PM
MegaByte-2

Ok……..Time to give back to the forum. I hope you all like this. It’s easier than the initial look at the picture appears. This simple modification allows you to take a good working AA Rx, add 4 parts, connect the wires back in a different configuration, and have a Rx that will handle 2 stock AA motors per side (jet motors are ok too) or add an N20 or SuperSlick to each side. You don’t have to work anywhere near the dreaded BV4, BV5 stock outputs risking ruining your Rx. The stock outputs are now just drivers using very low power to run the much higher rated Mosfet outputs. The Mosfets are doing the work now. They will not fail like the stock outputs have so much in the past since the stock outputs are now basically on “idle” or “cruise control”. It works if the power switch is left in or out if connections are made as indicated. If the power switch is removed and jumped to “always on”, there will be a drain through the 1K resistors on the battery. But, you will have installed a plug that disconnects the battery when not in use so no problem arises.
I’ve attempted to draw the “pictorial” schematic, color coded, so newcomers to RC and soldering will be able to enjoy this mod/upgrade too. If I missed anything or something seems vague, please email me about it so when I create the pdf and post it, it will hopefully be clear to all. It will be posted on my website and at the AA Toolbox www.aatoolbox.no-ip.org for those who may not have found the forums yet.

Parts Needed:
2ea.- IRLML2502 Mosfets, 2ea.- 1K Resistors and a short length of wire.
That’s it!

Each connection path in the picture has a unique color. The motor wire colors are accurate if using stock AA motors. As you can see, there is a new motors common at the M7 diode. It can go to the lipo positive, but its much easier to connect to the outside of M7. Less chance of blobbing a short trying to keep 3 wires on the lipo connection. Motors common is now positive, not negative, so the wires must be the way indicated on the drawing. The Mosfet outputs motor connections are now negative if you are using other motors (for information purposes). If the Mosfets are accidentally installed upside down, part number down, it will not work, but the Mosfet is not damaged nor is the Rx. The AA motors remain on their original wing, no prop swapping needed.

The lipo battery should be removed first before installation to prevent accidental shorts and be the last wires soldered back on when finished.

Applying a coat/bridge of UHU Por or similar flexible glue to the underside (no part number) of the Mosfets, bridging to the printed circuit board will greatly reduce flexing and connection breakage. It’s easily removed if ever needed. A drop on the Drain connection of the Mosfet to the wire insulation should be applied also to support the motor connection wire from breaking the small tab off the Mosfet. Urethane glue is non- conductive. Any reduction in flexing is a plus since the parts over hang the printed circuit board.

You will notice more rpm even with the stock motors due to the much lower “on” resistance of the Mosfets and the planes differential thrusting works as before for turning.

I can assume no responsibility for damage to any equipment when you construct this project. All I can state is, I designed it, built it, tested it and it works flawlessly on my equipment. I have made every effort to assure its accuracy. Feel free to contact me about questions or concerns.

I hope you all enjoy this contribution,

Tony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24354.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	618034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55281.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	618035  
Old 02-10-2007, 06:46 PM
MegaByte-2

Tim......

No problemo. Thats why I asked first after seeing your post.
I don't want to camp on you.

Nick!

Its posted........LOL
I dont see how SilveLit can have the market by patent. Cars all have similar equip doing the same function. If someone built a 12 step throttle, different frame rates.....it should be fine. Different enough. As long as they dont copy Silver's and design their onw processor. Just a matter of some company wanting to do it for a $30 toy.

Tony
Old 02-10-2007, 07:30 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Tony have you looked at the plan for the 16 step throttle mod? If you kit that I want one. Can I use to modules I bought for this? They have the resistor installed already.

I have finished the wiring on the stike force mod. I'm going to have to expand the box a little. Hopefully, I'll get a shot at flying it tomorrow.

Nascar's back!

Tim
Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 PM
ZMass

Looking foreward to news on those props. I havent broken any yet, but I can tell my jet will lose a prop eventually. I'd like to have some props for when that happens.

Quick question about the AA rx. One of my planes recently stopped working due to a broken on/off switch. I think I fixed the problem (the plane works), but I cant be sure if I did it correctly.
I soldered a wire to 'motors common' and another to 'lipo negative'. I currently use a hard-drive jumper to complete the conection. I havent done any other rx mods.
If possible, I'd like to get rid of the jumper (the plane would be permanently on). Question is, would this drain the battery past it's normal (3v?) shut-off point? I dont really want to kill the battery or burn down the house, just hoping to get rid of that HD jumper.

-Zeke
Old 02-10-2007, 10:15 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Zeke, check out the aero ace mods thread. There are wiring diagrams there. What could I do to make that thread more accessable?

For those of you thinking of modding strike force to an aa. My experience is that I burned out an rx, I'm over it. The tyco mattel crap provided me 2 props for thirty dollars. And took hours to fail. Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.