Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Neurotex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Another plane that has a gear box with the N20 is the AH EZ Chargers.
It has a 32 tooth spur gear. I'm not sure of the pinion but I believe they
were 9 also. The gears are smaller than the SW's but would still increase
the thrust for a mini sl or AA conversion. And the EZ Charger's are only $10.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Neuro, tower has yellow green and white SS available. They are the last listings on the GWS page. If you want spare paarts trees, recommended, or other gws gear allerc.com is a good place to go. I have a 2s1500mah lipo powering mine.

OK, This mod is for adults only. To help that occur you will need a programmable lipo charger. I installed a micro deans connector to charge the battery in a plane that would not take a charge. The result is a plane that I have to figure out a way to slow it down, or make it turn better. I'm thinking of putting the bottom wings back on it. Make it a true bipe once again. [sm=71_71.gif][sm=50_50.gif]

Tim
Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 PM
trroadster

Will the AA receiver handle the load of those motors? Or does it need to be modified? If so, how?

TIA
Old 02-27-2007, 12:44 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

TR, check with mega-byte 2. I think he has a rig to allow more power to motors. If your asking about the mini sl, the electronics are completely different. Tim
Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Djstinger

In regards to Palm Z, Yesterday I talked to customer service about how much shipping would be ( $ 38.74 ) for my pre-order, ouch. Here is the responce that I received.

"Hi Tim,
I am not aware when they will be released, I am speaking to our supplier about our order tomorrow, I will ask if he knows anything, and get back to you.

I would however contact Areo Ace distributors, if there are any in your area, they should know, I am under the impression that they will not be released in the US for some time though.

Will also look in to a cheaper but maybe slower shipping option, and update you.

Thanks Ben

Info

Id Est Bristol
10 Clifton Down Rd,
Clifton,
Bristol,
BS8 4 AD"
Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I will ask a fellow in the UK about this. Tim
Old 02-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: trroadster

Will the AA receiver handle the load of those motors? Or does it need to be modified? If so, how?

TIA
Tim is correct, the AA RX would need to be modified for the larger
motors.
As for the mini sl it's yet to be known if it could handle a geared set up.
Just throwing out some ideas for future mods on making a possible larger
more powerful inexpensive park flyer.

I have flown a larger AA with the N20's with Defender props with a 20" wingspan
and it flew great. No gear box either.
Lots of extra power making it the perfect park flyer. It climbed quickly and flew
into winds that a stock bipe would have trouble with.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

i gave a little peak inside the mini SL, wanted to see the RX. i guess i was expecting something the size of the AAs RX, but its at least twice the size. the motors are the N20 size, very strong feeling, so the RX must be able to handle a pretty good load, i'd guess somewhere near an amp per motor. going with a geared system would certainly be within its range, as gearing usually gives more thrust at a lower prop RPM and lower amp draw.

DJ, i wouldnt be surprised if the palmz ended up on ebay shortly after its release. i think the people who now sell the our little micro RTFs are keeping an eye on these boards to find out what people are wanting. the palmz will no doubt be on the "i NEED one" list. i'm sure shipping wont be cheap, but it should be cheaper than nearly 40 dollars - i dont see how they could even charge that much in the first place, unless it was like 3-4 day delivery. i've ordered from china a few times and my shipping was never over 20 bucks. we'll just have to wait and see what ebay says

nick
Old 02-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Neurotex

I'm glad to hear it's got some guts.
It seems evryone is hesitant on cutting up the mini sl. They want
to keep it as is, which is understandable, but...
when I get my hands on one it's going on the chopping block![>:]
Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Djstinger

MINI SL Landed in Dayton today
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I thought I posted the pics of mine when I had it opened up. Tim
Old 02-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Neurotex

Check out this Corsair/bailout/crash
[link=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9161106816384837258]corsair[/link]
Old 02-27-2007, 03:08 PM
andrewtexas123

I posted earlier that my gear for my AA and Tyco were coming apart i found a guy who is going to fix them so i am looking forward to 2 scratch builds!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Tony, I am wondering if I clip the charge lead from whatever M3 is and jump the charge port to the battery, leaving the original pos wire from the bat to M3, could I thaen charge off of the lipo charger to the charge port? Right now, if I hook to the charge port it always says the battery is charged. Also have you seen the new batteries? They have some sort of board attached across the terminals. Tim
Old 02-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Djstinger

Fern, I took my mini SL apart last night. The battery looks like a miniture 7.4v 2 cell w/balance tap. I will take some pictures and voltage readings later tonight when I put one of my light kits in, but only if the battery is 3.7v!!! It has to be, lipo's only come in 3.7v per cell, I thought.

The Tx takes 8 AA's and 30 to 40 min. to charge, it also says up to 3 flights??? Yes, I think it has a timer in it. Can someone conferm this.

I have taken the throttle spring out and took some close-up pictures of the Tx, I will post pic's if requested.

I did get a couple of min. flight time yesterday, it didn't cliumb that fast at all and takes wide turns, compaired to AA. I am hoping that after a few charges it will become more powerful.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Djstinger

I just found MSL forum, nice pic's Micro.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:27 AM
GantryG

I thought that I would show what I came up with for landing gear for the AA Sport Flyer. The wires are .032" servo wire, the wheels are Hot Wheels low-rolling-resistance wheels, and the wires are taped on the fuselage with Scotch tape. The wheels are kept on the wire with a dab of epoxy on the end of the wire. Some Scotch tape sticks to the foam like crazy, some doesn't. The landing gear protects the props, which is badly needed on the sport flyer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30643.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	631546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12267.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	631547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx42014.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	631548  
Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 PM
skunkworks2006

I picked up a second AA sport today. Now I plan to do the channel mod and paint it. I could hardly resist picking up a mini SL. They have them on the shelves at Target here in MI.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM
skunkworks2006

ORIGINAL: Djstinger

The plane is made by a Co. called MGA Entertainment ( Land-Air R/C ). K-mart is the store.
The wing span on the cloud cruiser is much shorter.

Here is a pic of my house w/lights. Slightly over 8000 of them.
I got one of those planes for the airframe. I then installed the guts from an XPV. I left the geared props and housing but melted in the larger motors from the XPV and put the gears on the shafts. Then I painted the plane (mine was all white with optional decals) bright red on top with a couple of stripes under the wings. I now have a FAST! 2-channel park flyer that has turn without throttle and glides really well. Yet, it's sorta heavy for it's size so it cuts the wind well. I'll post some pics soon. If you can find one of those planes.....DO THIS MOD. It is really fun and flys very well. Climb up high and flat spin.....pull out and climb back up. It does rolls and hammer head stalls. By far the most acrobatic 2 channel I've ever seen. It will just about maintain level flight on the lowest throttle setting too. Lipo, EPP, and speed...looks great in the air. Sorry to babble, but this is sooo much fun. If I ever stop flying it, I'll put a full write up here.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:37 PM
skunkworks2006

can someone show me to the channel change mod quickly?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
MegaByte-2

Tim,

If you are referring on the charge roblem to the mini SL.....I don't own one.
Price seemed high for another 2ch and I figured the Rx would be a brick.
Thats just the opposite of the direction I want to go.

The palmZ sounds interesting. I cant find much on it though.

Tony
Old 02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Djstinger

Skunk, I can not wait to see your creation. a guj on RCG did a complete mod including servo's ya gotta check it out, search for MGA rc plane.

Here is a pic of the board, in the upper right side yuo will see the letters C 52 B. there is 3 pads there if you have A ther is no solder connecting to either C or B. If you what to have a B ( the BEST of the 3 ) just solder from the 52 pad to the B pad and vise versa.

Nice to talk to people from my home town, I migrated to Dayton from Chaska almost 6 years ago, I miss Ice Fishing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39486.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	631683  
Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: MegaByte-2

Tim,

If you are referring on the charge roblem to the mini SL.....I don't own one.
Price seemed high for another 2ch and I figured the Rx would be a brick.
Thats just the opposite of the direction I want to go.

Tony
It is a bit in weight. I'm still figuring what to do with it. With the AA you can get
away with a fairly heavy build and still get a good flyer. With the mini sl you're
going to have to take the weight issue more seriously and build it lighter. Building
in foam might be a problem but not if it's got some power.
Building in balsa means a good smack may leave you with a pile of sticks but if
you've got some hours in on the smaller AA you should manage it.
I think its got promise. See what micro comes up with.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Neurotex

It is a bit in weight. I'm still figuring what to do with it. With the AA you can get
away with a fairly heavy build and still get a good flyer. With the mini sl you're
going to have to take the weight issue more seriously and build it lighter. Building
in foam might be a problem but not if it's got some power.
Building in balsa means a good smack may leave you with a pile of sticks but if
you've got some hours in on the smaller AA you should manage it.
I think its got promise. See what micro comes up with.
i've got something cooking in corel draw right now, a slick looking racer (mostly inspired by your orange/black one, that was one fast looking bird, she'd make a great conversion for your SW!). the weight of the electronics is pretty high, but the empty MSL comes in at nearly 25 grams, so even a big plane out of balsa or foam could come up lighter than that. the one i'm working on now will be a S&T build, but a rather beefy one, probably use basswood or plywood for the formers and some 1/16th balsa for the stringers, i might skin parts of it in balsa to help add some streangth too. i'm hoping to have the drawings finished tonight and can start cutting tomarrow - we're supposed to have another big snow storm, so hopefully i wont make it to work due to bad road conditions

nick
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Tony, I'm refering to our ace. I have one that I wired a micro deans plug to the battery and it climbs it a turn. I would like to fore go the deans and use the existing charge plug. That plug is soldered to whatever M3 is. My question is, If I leave the original wiring from battery to M3, and cut the charge port out of that circuit and jump it directly to the bat+, will I be able to charge the battery from my lipo charger?

I took a pic of the plane charging through the Windshield, But my camera is on the fritz.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.