Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Here are pics of a warbird flight and a couple of blow ups.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18535.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	693215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16865.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	693216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34607.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	693217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga76827.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	693218  
Old 05-28-2007, 06:25 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

And finally the pics of the treed plane. These were taken from my front porch.....on full zoom....

Name:	Tr51500.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	693224   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43694.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	693225  
Old 05-28-2007, 06:25 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

neuro, nice lookin birds that staggerwing bipe with the forward and back swept wings is interesting, gotta love the no-stall abilities of forward swept wings! nice work with the inverted v tail too.

nick
Old 05-28-2007, 06:29 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hey I think I'm going to do a w mod on one of my planes shortly, I haven't flown one since November I think. I hav a great candidate for it, an older mono stir stick that isn't as speedy but still loves to fly. Tim

Neuro, that truly is a great looking plane, and I didn't know I was helping my planes stop stalling with forward swept wings, makes them fun though. The sorta death spiral built into the power hawk is cool. I think one of the contributing factors is a gyro effect from the front prop, just a thought. Tim
Old 05-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I suppose I should tell the story of bipe in the tree. About a year or so ago, right after the "new" bipes came out, I was wondering why I could not fly as high as I could earlier in the spring. We talked about it on the thread, I think it was with Neuro and Micro-builder, And I was wondering if it could be due to a seasonal change in the upper atmosphere. I had not yet made the connection between barometric pressure and flyability.

Tim
Yeah, I remember that. People who don't fly are not aware of the simple
weather conditions and the world around them.
That the wind is calm at sunset and at sunrise. Above the trees the wind currents
are stronger. Hot summer days produce strange thermals out of hills and
buildings. That a seagull 400 feet up can soar without flapping a wing is totally
oblivious to someone who doesn't take a wing to air.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:40 PM
ehelibuff

Mine doesn't do that.. Check the wings, stab, fuse for any warpage... Mine flies and floats straight. I have noticed with ALL of my AA's, they turn right better than left.

Eric
Old 05-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: micro_builder

neuro, nice lookin birds that staggerwing bipe with the forward and back swept wings is interesting, gotta love the no-stall abilities of forward swept wings!

nick
Thanks, the forward/backward swept bipe blew my mind when I chucked it.
I've never seen anything fly like that before. When it came out of its loop
into the wind it just hung there like someone stopped the tape, then it hovered
about and landed without making a single dip.
I thought it was a strange flight but it did the same thing over & over each time.
It simply won't stall.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
ehelibuff

can you send me a form of schematics of it, so I can build one for fun?

Eric
Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Neurotex

I have no drawings of it since I cut it straight from foam pie plates.
I'll try and produce some plans of it and post them as soon as I can.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM
ehelibuff

That would be cool. Thnx! It looks like a fun project. I'm an avid scratch builder as well. But Mostly larger gas powered planes... i'm new to the micro electrics... I'm having fun though; it's all good!

Eric
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 PM
iflyrc1012
My Feedback: (6)

neuro, i just saw your foward- rearward swept aa design. you are gifted and talented. . and a little nutz!! if at all possible please make plans available.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 PM
iflyrc1012
My Feedback: (6)

oh and by the way. . are there plans available for the taube??
Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Neurotex

Here's a quick sketch of the basic design for the swept wing bipe.
All the pieces are foam plate and hot glued together.
The fuse section is two pieces in front glued to one tail section
in back since a plate does not allow for 7.75 inches in length.
I used several paper clips for the nose weight.

An AA version would have a wing span of about 12 inches.
No plans for the other plane though except for rough sketches
which doesn't show much detail. Just basic outlines and then I add
the stringers & formers as I go along.

Name:	Ki19138.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	693377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49198.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	693378  
Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Neurotex

Thanks, the forward/backward swept bipe blew my mind when I chucked it.
I've never seen anything fly like that before. When it came out of its loop
into the wind it just hung there like someone stopped the tape, then it hovered
about and landed without making a single dip.
I thought it was a strange flight but it did the same thing over & over each time.
It simply won't stall.
the forward swept wing plane i did last summer did the same thing, when it went up to stall like a normal plane would, it just sat there nose high till it ran out of momentum, then it just sort of fell tail first all the way down. very strange to see, makes me wonder why more planes dont have the same design. i wonder how this would pan out with on an LRF...now that i've got a spare set of AS gear, i might have to try it out, i'd think you could trim the plane to stay in a high alpha state, basically flying in a stall. that should allow things to slow down quite a bit.

nick
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 AM
Garrett1234567

I took my AA and reatached tha lower wing, but forward swept, you guys are right this is a strange flying plane. If it went 2 mph that would be pushing it it just scoots around about 2 ft off the ground, thanks for the inspiration.

Tim, next guess 17
Old 05-29-2007, 12:19 PM
ahaacobbler

My guess for the day is 1.

Ferndale, I think that plane is retrievable. The tree looks entirely climbable.

As I mentioned, I had a pile of new Air hogs waiting on my porch from TRU on Friday. I was a little disapointed to find out that the mini storm launcher was not 3 channel. I don't know why I thought it was. I was really looking forward to using the electronics for some projects. Now, I am thinking that I will probably keep 1 and stick the rest on ebay. I also got one of the power hawks, which I like quite a lot. It seems to turn tighter and fly slower than any of the other AA platform planes. Too bad I only got one of them at $15. I should have loaded up the way I did with the MSLs. I think I will probably have the hawk as a mostly indoor plane and modify it with some landing gear and little else.

I did order another bipe, but they sent the jet. It turns out that the discription was correct for what they sent, it was just the photo that was wrong on the TRU website. Likewise the MSLs came as I was hoping, even though the website had the hawk photo with the MSL description. Anyway, I am hoping that I can trade out the jet at the brick and mortar store for a bipe.

I also got a Havoc, which is fun. However, I am either hugely under-skilled at flying it, or it just really has some control deficiencies. I can't get it to not spin each time I change throttle settings. Its fun, but not like the aces.

Cobbler
Old 05-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Garrett1234567

Cobbler, i may sound like a total dumbass but what do you mean when you say the "brick and mortar" store.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM
ahaacobbler

The regular store made out of bricks as opposed to the virtual store on line. The problem with on-line is the cost of shipping. It's nice to be able to go to the real (brick and mortar) store to make an exchange rather than paying for shipping and then waiting a week for delivery.

Apparently, Toys R Us doesn't even own the on-line business anymore. I heard that they sold it to Amazon.com

Cobbler

ORIGINAL: Garrett1234567

Cobbler, i may sound like a total dumbass but what do you mean when you say the "brick and mortar" store.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Neurotex

ORIGINAL: micro_builder

the forward swept wing plane i did last summer did the same thing, when it went up to stall like a normal plane would, it just sat there nose high till it ran out of momentum, then it just sort of fell tail first all the way down. very strange to see, makes me wonder why more planes dont have the same design. i wonder how this would pan out with on an LRF...now that i've got a spare set of AS gear, i might have to try it out, i'd think you could trim the plane to stay in a high alpha state, basically flying in a stall. that should allow things to slow down quite a bit.

nick
It would be worth a try. At work today I clipped the top wings and attached them as forward swept
along with the bottom wings. It flew about the same except that when given rudder it started doing
inverted rolls. I still would like a small wind tunnel so I can see just what is really going on.
There's a lot more to be discovered (for me anyway) about FSWs.
I cracked the fuselage on my SingleWing mod so I might make that into the F/BSW bipe.
That SW plane beats the AA hands down.

I took my AA and reatached tha lower wing, but forward swept, you guys are right this is a strange flying plane. If it went 2 mph that would be pushing it it just scoots around about 2 ft off the ground, thanks for the inspiration.
That's odd! Why no lift?
I'd like to see some pics of it if you got any.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Garrett1234567

Cobbler, Thats what i figured but i had never heard that before.

Well i just lost my first AA, the wind was pretty calm so i went out for a quick flight, when i tossed it i noticed the tail was a little cocked so i tried to bring it around to fix it and it headed over the hills towards the forest, i got it pointed back at me but the wind was blowing right at it so as i came foward it climbed higher, well it got 200-250 ft up and i lost signal then it caught a thermal and away it wint, i watched it spiral and float higher for 5 min till it was out of site, if it keeps going the way it was when i lost sight of it i bet it will travle 2-3 miles before it comes down, hell maybe more[], sucks too cause i hadnt wrote my tele # on it
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

TRU owns the online stuff again, Amazon kicked them loose around christmas.

Cobbler, the bush under the tree is actually a 40' tree the undergrowth is hackberry or something worse than blackberry. Also it blew away 6 monthes ago.

Garret if you split your lower wing you'll get a flyer, check the mod thread, I think it's under chopped botom wings.

Tim
Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Neurotex

Cobbler, Thats what i figured but i had never heard that before.

Well i just lost my first AA, the wind was pretty calm so i went out for a quick flight, when i tossed it i noticed the tail was a little cocked so i tried to bring it around to fix it and it headed over the hills towards the forest, i got it pointed back at me but the wind was blowing right at it so as i came foward it climbed higher, well it got 200-250 ft up and i lost signal then it caught a thermal and away it wint, i watched it spiral and float higher for 5 min till it was out of site, if it keeps going the way it was when i lost sight of it i bet it will travle 2-3 miles before it comes down, hell maybe more[], sucks too cause i hadnt wrote my tele # on it
ah crap! That sucks!
Bad luck for me too.
I wacked a fence good and split me timbers in two. The tail pulled the antenna
wire which yanked the RX right out of it. At least I have something to glue though.

Name:	Ca82887.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	693823  
Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 PM
ahaacobbler

Yeah, I gotta get my number on all my planes. I like to fly really high. I have never permanently lost one yet, though I have had them lost overnight severla times. Last week I had a new experimental wing take off while I was flying it low in my front yard. I fought it for several minutes, but it just kept going higher. I finally decided to ditch it in the next neighborhood over. I made my best guess at where the street was and tried to put it into a spiral. Then I ran over there and luckily found it in a driveway. There have been several times when I have temporarily lost a plane and I promise myself I will label all my planes from now on. Anyway, I gotta do that.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 PM
Neurotex

Back together again-
Balsa rules while foamies make good fuel!

Name:	Zw69790.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	693855   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43163.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	693856  
Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 PM
msim

I like to fly high too. I once had a perfect AA bipe and was able to get it up so high I had to strain my eyes to see it. It was a dot in the sky. couldnt tell which direction I was pointing, but all I could do was to put it into a spiral. I will never do that again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.