Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.
View Poll Results: A poll
picco-z/havoc heli
56.52%
helix
8.70%
mini br
0%
other
19.57%
Micro mosquito
15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Which micro heli?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 06:40 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which micro heli?

My friend just got a micro mosquito and i admit, im jealous of him[sm=red_smile.gif]. Im wondering if its a good heli to save up for (i only have $20) or if i should go with something else?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Which micro heli?

well, i voted for "other" simply because i think its best to buy them all

but, since you're on a budget, like the rest of us, it'll really depend on what you want to do with the heli. there's some good info here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4033572/tm.htm but the jist of it is:

the piccoZ is cheap, fun, and indestructable. however its only 2 channel so overall controll is limited unless you've got it very well trimmed in, and even then doing spot landings isnt always easy. it is a blast to fly though, and looks like a normal heli.

the helix is a tank in comparison to the picco, much heavier, more expensive, but its 3 channel. many folks seem to have problems controlling theirs, but mine flew quite well. since its heavier, it'll move faster once it starts going, and of course its harder to stop once its momentum starts swinging. so because of its weight, its not quite as precise in controll, but its still easy enough to move around and do spot landings. its easier to get out of controll than the picco once it starts losing stability, but once you get the hang of flying it, its a breeze.

the mini BR from radio shack, and the larger version from walmart are two channel. between the two of them, i would go for the mini version, its lighter and flight times are better and the motors wont wear out nearly as fast. since they're both 2 channel, forward movement is set by the CG, so you're either flying forward, or hovering, but not both. despite this, i'd say its manuverability is better than the picco or helix.

the original BR, BRII, and the MicoMosquito are 3 channel, and for precision flying, they cant be beat. they take some getting used to, and they're not as fast as the other helis, but you can put them where ever you want them. they can/will crash easier than the others, but like the helix, once you get used to the controlls, they're fantastic flyers. very stable, very precise controll. there is a 2 channel version of the micro mosquito as well, but for some reason its even more than the 3 channel MM

nick
Old 02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
coleholley

I loved my micro mosquito but I just had problems with mine. The first one I forget how it broke but I think it was somewhat my fault so I took it back and got a new one and it came out of the box broke so I took it back and didn't get a new one but now I'm thinking about getting some kind of helicopter.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

I was flying my friend's micro mosiquito today and and it didnt seem to have any forward/backward control at all. we even put an aero ace prop on there and it didnt seem to work. I think i might just save up for a honeybee mark 3 heli unless we get my friends heli to fly forward really good ill save up for the mm.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Oh yeah, can i have a little more details about the brII? How are they compared to the mm?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

the BR/MM helis are always slow. because of the rotor design, any forward motion is counteracted by the rotors and the heli tries to correct itself and go back to a stable hover. forcing it into forward flight with the tail prop is basically making the heli do something its not actually designed to do, which is why they're slower than the other micro helis.

there are a few ways to get some faster speed though. using a larger prop thats meant for a 4mm motor, something like the piccoZ tail prop, can help. the AA prop is far too big and will actually slow the tail motor down, giving even less thrust, despite the prop being much bigger. you can also add a bit of tape to the blades of the tail prop to give it more area and more thrust. another option would be to swap out the short can 4mm tail motor that the MM and BR uses for a long can 4mm motor like the piccoZ tail motor.

a recent idea was used to add 4 magnets to the rotors, 2 on the top rotor, 2 on the bottom, placed so that they repel eachother. this way, when the heli goes forward and the rotors get close to eachother, the magnets keep them from either clashing or slowing the heli down. i havent gotten a chance to try it myself, but i've seen videos of the mod in action and it seems to help quite a bit.

the BRII is the normal size BR, 3 channel, with a 12 or 13 inch rotor size (cant remember exact size off hand). they're more stable than the MM simply due to the size of the rotors creating more gyroscopic forces. i think they go a little faster than the MM, but the motors tend to burn out due to the amp load they run at. the mini BR is slightly smaller, with 9.5" rotors. its two channel, forward speed is set with the CG like the piccoZ, but with its smaller rotors, the motors last quite a bit longer and flight times are longer.

nick
Old 02-13-2007, 06:00 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

How is the the new airhogs reflex? I think its just the better version of the helix. Seems pretty cool. Does anybody know if they have good control and forward movement?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Truglodite

is this something you plan on flying for a few weeks, getting bored with, and storing in the closet, or something that you'll end up doing as a hobby?

to have a quick go for under $100, a picco z (aka air hogs havoc) is hard to beat.

if you want a more substantial micro heli, the blade cx2 is a far better micro heli for indoors. the blade cp can be a handful for complete newbies, but it is even better for outdoors. not cheap helis those blades, but well worth the money in the long run, and both would end the jealousy.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
fire_racer17

I have olny ever flown one micro heli and that's my airhogs Havoc Heli. I hear good things about the helix, but have never seen one fly. All I know is that my Havoc Heli is some gosh darn fun!!![8D]

Fire_racer17
Old 04-11-2007, 03:00 AM
ICHItheKILLER

get the helix,picco,and the mosquito. the helix flies really good if you get a good one,my first one didnt fly to well,sent it back for the recall