Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Reflex Heli Help Page

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:24 PM
mkim340518

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Hogs Reflex Heli Help Page

This page is for anybody who has a REFLEX and anybody who has any suggestions or mods for the REFLEX. Please help us newbies cause.....um...we need it. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:43 PM
StangIT

Default RE: Air Hogs Reflex Heli Help Page

I currently have a few Reflex Spare Parts available for sale if anyone needs them.

1 - Set of Rotor Blades + 2 - Additional Blades.
1 - Main Rotor Assembly
1 - Factory LiPo Batter
2 - Remote Controls
2 - Chargers

All of these parts are from the YELLOW model, NOT the blue one... So the Remotes will NOT work on your Blue model.

Asking price is $25 + S&H from 78727 area code. (Austin, TX)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34732.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	686386  
Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Good plan mkim, If we had started the aeroace mods thread sooner there would have been less work to get it going. Tim
Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
leo_g

Well it's only been a little over week, and I just had to make some changes to a near perfect bird.

On the transmitter:
- Removed throttle spring (fly one handed!)
- Removed metal restrictor rod in the direction stick (no limits, full 360 rotation)
- Added longer antenna (only complaint on these things is the poor reception)

On the bird:
- Removed foam body (less weight and bulky)
- Added Custom fabricated canopy
- Added longer antenna wire (much better reception!)
- Added tail boom (more stable, better center of gravity)
- Removed plastic fan shrouds (much more thrust, and less weight)
- Added a little oil to the bearings (noticeable diffence in left/right stability)

WHAT A DIFFERENCE ALL OF THIS MADE!!! It has the stability and control now of a bigger bird only smaller!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:05 PM
b_hauger79

I just bought this little bird to play with around the house. I've never had a helicopter before, but I am some what experienced with airplanes, still sort of a novice though. I have found that it is very tough, as i have crashed a lot, trying to do too much with it in a small living room. Now however I am experiencing some problems and wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem, or knows how to correct it. I was hovering in the living room when I got too high and hit the lights of the ceiling fan with the blades. Ever since then when it hovers, it will hover in a circle...... The Helicopter is pointing in the same direction, but continues to make a circle that get progressivly worse... Needless to say, I cannot fly it this way. I have tried adjusting the trim, but all that does is make the heli spin as it hovers in circles.... lol! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2007, 08:31 AM
plastic
My Feedback: (4)

I have the exact same problem, it will start out in a nice hover, then starts to circle wider and faster. Please someone offer advice. I have tried to alter the lateral balance , but this doesnt seem to help

thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2007, 04:32 PM
peeweecranson

Will these parts fit the Air Hog Helix ? peewee
Old 07-02-2007, 01:46 PM
plastic
My Feedback: (4)

OK, looks like we will have to solve this problem ourselves, I modified mine similar to leos, however to get it to balance back to front correctly I need a lot longer tail peice, which looked kinda dumb, so I cut a shorter peice of antenna tubing for it and inserted a small dia carbon rod in the end, looks pretty cool and acts as a micro balance adjustment, as all I need to do is move the carbon rod in and out as needed to acheive perfect balance. As for the circle of death I have been trying to fabricate a small plactic winglet to add to the oppisite side. Seems to work but I have not got it fine tuned as of yet. any other suggustions to combat this spiral effect?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
rusty24

I have recently purchased the Air hogs helo as well. A guy at work had one and now I do. My problem is that as soon as you press the up lever for it to take off, the tail wants to spin directly to the right and crash.

Rotor is working fine, and it worked fine onthe first charge.

Suggestions?
Old 07-11-2007, 10:20 PM
peeweecranson

I need those parts.
[email protected]
Old 07-12-2007, 07:22 PM
peeweecranson

Has anyone got a rotor shaft, I can buy for the Reflex? peewee
[email protected]
Old 09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
ltmccluretx

I am having a problem with my helicopter. It will no longer take off. I have double checked that the batteries are fully charged and still have this problem. I am new to all of this and any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
peeweecranson

Have you had the rotor blades off,and maybe switched them around?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM
brian in PA

I was wondering if any spare parts are available for the reflex. I need a lower rotor balance shaft. Thanks! Brian
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 AM
kgbull710

Question, would you by chance still have the parts or know where I can get replacement blades? My son got one for his birthday and of coarse didn't read the instructions. By the time I got to read them, he had already went through 3 blades. then I told him we needed to trim the blades. He got another week of use and now the last blade broke and I can't find any replacement blades.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 AM
redvtr1000

Best I can figure with these reflexes on the spiral problem is....Take the sucker back to walmart and say it only worked ok on the first flight. For 60 bucks the thing ought to be a little crash worthy. C'mon, they sell it in the toys section.

I have returned mine about 5 seperate times lol! I keep letting my friends fly it around and you can only stick it to the cieling so many times before it starts doing the spiral of death. Kinda looks cool as it happens though....wheeeeee Fast Forward Flight out of a reflex
Old 10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
redvtr1000

Something fun to do with reflex!

Go outside (no wind if possible). Power up to full throttle and see how high you can get it before it cuts off and falls, see if you can recover :P

Or, try and catch it when it falls.

Funny watching this little thing fall out of the sky
Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 PM
hvf

do you have the main rotors for the helix airhog helicopter?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:10 PM
hvf

how can I purchase that?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
mredowling

so i need parts to like everyone else. is anybody selling them as of 10-23- 07?
or did anyone finde where to buy them? plese e-mail me if so at [email protected] if so
thank you
Old 10-31-2007, 06:01 PM
lrochin2000

I am interested in your parts, do you still have them???
Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Couch-pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=645721&page=3

Maybe this will help......
Old 11-09-2007, 05:51 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

ok guys im seeing that your in desprate help with this heli. i know a lil about helis as i have owed a few different ones. first off my experience with helis is as follows. ive owned a helix, 4 havocs, a blade cx-2 and a blade cp+. with the helix, when your trimming it using the dial on the top rotor head be carful not to over adjust it, the dial and threaded shaft are both plastic and it will either stip, or break if too much force is applied to it. ive been researching alot about helis lately as ive upgraded to a cp "collective pitch" heli and the learning curve needed to fly these is highly difficult yet more fun. this reflex you are flying is reffered to as a fp " fixed pitch" helicopter, meaning that the pitch of the blades never changes, its always in a solid state. on a cp "colective pitch" the blades use a servo to change the angle of the blade while spinning to increase the positive and negative pitch of the blades for more or less lift with a constant rotor speed. on the cx-2 its similar to what you are flying now, it uses a fixed pitch meaning that when you want to ascend or desend the rotor speed increases or decreases to give lift. the problem your all having with the "death spiral" or "toilet bowling" effect is balance. on my helix it was the same as it was on my blade cx-2. which is just a better more efficent and realistic version of what you are flying. there are some thing you will need in order to balance you helis for a nice smooth flight the tools needed are as follows.

blade balancer
digital scale
tape

first step is to use a blade balancer. either by using a comercial balancer, or homeade. remove the top set of rotor blades from your heli. using a small piece of tape, tape the 2 blades together so that the ends that connect to the rotor head are just touching each other and are as straight in line as possible. next use a ruler and balance them on the thin edge of the ruler right at the center point of where the blades are touching. clear tape will make it easier to find the exact center. look for a slight tilt in the blades, if one blade leans downwards and the other is high then your blades are out of balance. this step is know as statically balancing. once you have found the heavier blade separate the blades. now take the heavier blade and balance it on the edge of the ruler till you get it as close as possible to balanced. once you acheive this make a mark on it to show the exact center of gravity of it. then lay it evenly on top of the lighter blade and make the same mark on the lighter blade. now using this mark, put the lighter blade on the ruler at this center of gravity point and and see which wy it tips. the side that is higher needs some weight added. so using clear tape, or whatever you have, cut a small peice and barely stick it onto the high side of the blade. if it slightly adjusts the balance, but doesnt correct it then remove it and move it slightly outwards on the blade. continue doing this until its balanced. if you rteach the end of the blade and its still high then use a slightly larger piece of tape starting at the center point you marked and moving outwards. once you get it balanced put them back on your heli and repeat these steps on the lower set of blades. once you have completed these steps then your helis blades are staically and dynamically balanced.

i know this seems like alot of work but its key to getting a smooth stable flight out of your heli. this is how it goes with the scale sized hobbie grade helis. its a pain but it works, and the fun factor goes up as well. just as a note, you might want to go into the forums and read about some of the scale helis to get a better understanding of how things work. even if it doesnt apply directly to what you are flying the same basic priciples aplly. the reflex is basically the little brothe to the blade cx-2. they are both coaxial helis, mean that they have counter rotating blades that counter-act the force of torque from one rotor head to the other. the diffrence between them is that the reflex uses a set of small props for forward and reverse and left and right where as the cx-2 uses servos to change the pitch angle of the blades at different rotations for forward, reverse, and left and right straff, and uses head speed to change the left and right turning of the heli. so do a lil research on the cx-2 and you'll find the similarities and ways to improve your flights and fun factor. hope this was useful, if you have any questions feel free to pm me, chris
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 PM
waterboy

Wow! Thanks Chris. Balancing the blades was the problem. I feel stuped with all the time I waisted. Thought the problem was c of g.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 AM
crazychris46dividedby2

yeah you would be surprised with some of the issues i deal with on my cp+ just from something as simple as the blades being out of balance. glad to see that this info has benefited someone. you will learn to love these forums as it is the best collection of knowledge for this and other hobbies. chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.