Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: LightFlite Bug

The Bugs in the videos seem slow moving and they are able to do a roll so maybe speed is not my problem. Ron
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZs4...ightflite.com/
    Thanks for your help Guys, FORGEDABOUTIT! Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's the 47in. extra super large giant sized bug Roll rate is all in your choice in the setup of throws, as to how fast it rolls or how much ail.you give it.
    Gord
    Dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron I have rates at 75%, which is about 2.25", full defection is about 3.25". I usually fly with my expo at 20%. I hope that is helpful.

Tim
    \"...never stop flying the airplane...\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Tim
    Did 6 packs today, now I should do a 6 pack.
    Still can't do a roll. I did get inverted by the wind and pulled out in a loop so that's something, at 10 feet. Really don't know what Expo means but mine is set at 65. Do you know what it means? The loops I'll get just got to get a little more nerve and speed. When I try to roll all I do is turn with a lean. Maybe I should have A closer setting to 100% on the flaps (aileron, elevon). Can you get a roll just by moving the right stick full right or full left? If so maybe its my flaps, they only move about 1 1/4 inch from flat. If I throw the 3 switches on my radio I would have full travel which might be too much. I could try the full travel, crash, than I should tell something about a roll.
    What causes the servos to chatter? Flies fine but they flicker when standing still.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron, many questions at once.

OK, first expo is the amount of sensitvity to the center of the stick. For example, 0% expo is pure stick movement, and on this plane pretty close to proportional. That is how I taught my self to fly this plane. The more expo you have the more gently the plane flies. For the DX radios that is + expo, for Hitec it is - expo. As I said earlier I use 20% expo, it gentles the plane a bit for minor flight adjustments. I lost the plane to a roof 3 times since I have had it. 2 of those time were when I was playing with 50+% expo. I have found a home at 20% expo, but am thinking of reducing it, maybe.

I think this is why loops and rolls are hard for you to do. By the time you have the stick in the correct position the plane is in a gentle turn, that turns into a dive due to the major last minute change. Your radio may have d/r for expo. Mine does not. I would recommend trying lower expo in stages. If you are really comfortable with the gentle turns, the difference will be huge if you drop to low expo fast. For example, I'm used to flip/rolling out of trouble. When I was playing with hi expo I was unable to do that. A flip/roll changes your direction in about 40".

Elevon deflection: According to the instructions you want between 2 1/4 low and 3 1/4 high. Mine are set about 2 1/4 for low. The easy way to adjust this is to measure up from the wing, mark your spot then keeping the ruler square, mark the rudder. You should be able to adjust that height with your radio. Adjusting the rate % higher should give you
    more elevon travel. Try this before messing with your expo. I know that is too much expo for my radio, but you have a better radio.

Servo clicks: This is a problem I have left behind. I assume this is when the tx is on? If so the options are a carppy servo or poor connection, or interference from something else. Since you are using dx tech I doubt the latter. I tend to think it is going to be the servos themselves. I have hitec hs-55's on my bug with no issues at all.

Ron you might want to really look at the rc book, it has helped me a lot. I hope this is helpful.

Off to fly out some batteries,

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Tim
    Maybe the Expo should be dropped on my to 30. I do have Dual Rates set so flap movement is adjusted. Switches in one one direction make flaps 50-60% active and switches the other way 100% active (rudder aileron, elevon). Maybe I should adjust these to 75% on the low side as movement only looks like 1 1/4 inch on aileron and elevon. Did you say you could do rolls at 40% expo? Guess I have to experiment!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got the nerve to flip the aileron and elevon switches so they both have 100% and elevator also has 100%. Wow! What a difference. Now loops are at will and tight small loops are doable. Have to still work on rolls! Still didn't move the Expo but this change is night and day. Have to be careful not to over turn. Should I just leave it at full???Have to experiment more and think about that expo setting, maybe 40% would be a good test from 65%. Thanks Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ANOTHER QUICK QUESTION
    What would cause the electric to cut out after the first 15 seconds of flight and come back on 30 seconds later and work fine for the total remainder of the flight? Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A loose battery connector in your radio??

Try raising your low rate, At speed high rates can be challenging. Try 75-80%?

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Timster
    I have the rates at 100%. All flap full travel. Any reason not to run this way? Still have expo at 65%. Thanks Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron, the only drawback is that at speed, 75% or more, mine gets squirrelly on full throws. I also use less expo, so my inputs come faster.

I got myself a new radio. Optic 6, the big brother of my flash 5, it has far more mixing ability than the flash 5 however.

Only one flight yesterday, it's a bit windy. Still blowing now.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Tim My Man
    COOL RADIO! GOOD LUCK WITH IT! ABOUT TIME!
    Got 7 packs in today but two days of rain coming. My Expo was at 65 and Ron at lightflite said go higher 70-75. can you tell me what would be the feel difference between 70 and your 20. It it quicker bursts at 20 or less? Is 20 slower or faster moving. I still haven't done a roll but plenty of loops.
    How about fly time, I was getting almost 9 minutes with slow flying and 50% throws but now only getting about 6 minutes. Whats your fly times?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bug has a servo in it that chatters. Checked the gears and they are fine but still chatters but works fine. It actually moves the aileron real fast about 1/4 inch even during flight. Don't really notice during a flight. It is the servo as I checked against a new one. Anyone know why they chatter? Wonder if I can post in another section of RC UNIVERSE?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron, just try out a little less expo. To me the times I tried 50 and 70 expo the controls felt really mushy compared to what I'm used to. My flight times are coming up to about 10 minutes each, now that the trim is better.

If your servo is chattering and the rx is good, something in the servo, either gears or wiring is going bad.

Tim

Big talk about battery life is proving wrong today. 6-7 minutes per battery. Near perfect conditions, light wind, sunny( I prefer some clouds) and about 72*. I'm flying high and far. Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

More battery observations. Batteries 1 and 2 have about 100 charge cycles on them, most of which are done back to back. They are giving me about 7 minutes each at 75% power on, and seem a bit sluggish. Battery 3, which I got about 2 weeks ago seems good to go for the full 10 minutes. I usually landed after 8 minutes to keep from over-extending the battery. So the question becomes, How many cycles will a battery take?

I assume most folks fly their bug once or twice a week, as this seems to be the normal pattern of flyers. With that math I have almost a years worth of flight from the batteries already. What is considered a good lifespan on lipo's?

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I better get some batteries at 6-7 packs a day. Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron, I don't think it's worth worrying about. The new battery is just that, new, and I was making time yesterday. If I flew a bit slower I would get a bit more time. That was more of a observation than a problem statement.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a couple of Thunder Power 730 ma., 2 cells that are dated 06, and are still going strong. Probably not quite as much run time but the difference is hardly noticeable. As long as you don't run them right out (ESC is set for 3 volts per cell) , or try to draw to many amps, hard to do on a bug, , they will last a long time. Name brand batts. helps too.
    Gord
    Dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys
    Whats the best batteries for the bug (buck). I need to get two. What about size 460mah or bigger 15c or bigger. What about a good price? Does Ron at Lightflite carry good batteries?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use Zippy 500mAh and polyquest 800mAh cells (2 cells) - I can feel the difference in weight between the 500 and 800mAh cells on the plane.
    I think the smaller ones are better for inside - I normally fly in the early evening, I start with the 800mAh and if/when the breeze has died I use the smaller batts.
    regards
    Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do you have a special site to get them? Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got them from my LHS - I think getting good/known brands and light weight (due mainly to battery capacity) is the best approach.
    regards
    Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron, there are lots of places to get batteries. I like the batteries from Ron, and the price is good.

Tim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats what I''ll do. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Speaking of the radio, WOW. I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference in the air, but I was wrong. The few times I flew the laser 6, I thought it was nice and crisp. Then I got the flash 5 and started using it all the time and got used to it. I guess the processor(s) for the sticks are faster. I feel like I have a better progression through the sticks, if that makes sense. For example the airhog bipe that is making the rounds has 7 steps from 0-full power. The flash might have fifty, the optic feels like 100 or truly proportional.

This translates to really crisp turns, and I will have some relearning to do. The bug would not fly at 50% on the flash, I needed to have closer to 60% to just sort of float it along. Now I can just float with barely steerage power, at 50%, right where it's supposed to. While a fancy radio won't automatically make you a superstar pilot or make a newby a practiced pilot, it will help tremendously in flying the plane as designed. I am truly impressed with the Optic 6.

OK, I cut that from a post on the B.O.C. thread, but the difference is quite noticable. I thought the flash 5 computer radio was great, and it is a good radio, but the difference is quite noticable. Similar to the dx6 radios i'm sure. And I have yet to figure out the advanced mixing, or to couple the right slider to the elevator trim, or even more trick mix the ele with the throttle, so that as I increase power the ele lowers a little to maintain even flight.[X(][8D]

Battery 4 is ready and 5 is charging. I did not get my second charger this week, hopefully it will be at the PO on Monday.

Tim

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast