Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

LightFlite Bug

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LightFlite Bug

Its built!! Just got the wiring to tidy up and ask Fern and you guys some questions, like......

(1) I'm using a 1400Kv, 60W motor and 8 x 3.8 prop, on a 500 2S Tipple Loong Max lipo - but the motor seems a little 'warmer' than I feel it should be....any suggestions!!

(2) What does everyone think of these lipos....I've never heard of them but they are the price of a Beer each, light, small etc. There must be a catch....

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/rcmodelpar...-p-403788.html

Also, what 'range' of lipo sizes will I need - I already have an 800 2S, 500 3S, 500 2S Tipple Loong Max and might get 2 of those listed above....all my lipos are Looong Max for personal reasons!!!

(3) what is the best way of attaching the lipos to the Fuse? I'm using Velcro on the fuse and on the lipo, but I don't think it would 'hold' in-flight. Ant other fixings that might be bullet-proof?

(4) Does anybody have suggestions for settings to use on the Spectrum DX6i and AR6200 long-range RX (Expo, Diff, anything etc).

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10691.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1345647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79175.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1345648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48549.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1345649  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Tam, is that prop and motor the recommended set up? The Bug spins a direct drive gws 10x6. The warm motor bothers me as well. To get warm it is working too hard.

Here is the 2s battery that I am having fun with, http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Ah_2S1P_15-25C It will power out of a hover, and with minimal throttle management I get 10 minute flights with out the cut out.

I use velcro on all my planes and only big birds get a safety strap.

I'll find my manual and let you know if someone else does not answer first.

Fern
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Dual rates are set at about 45% ( for absolute beginners) or 65% (experienced) of full, and are highly recommended for first time Bug pilots until you become familiar with the Bug’s hyper maneuverability and quick response to input. Most pilots find the use of approx. 65-70% exponential control on BOTH high and low rates beneficial and make the Bug less sensitive to stick input at centers.

Fern
Old 12-31-2009, 06:58 PM
tam popo

I'll check out that motor again.....its exactly the same stats as the recommended motor by the manufacturer. I'e set the rates almost the same as you mentioned as well. Thanks.... Happy New Year guys!!!!
Oh, and check out th added-on V10 mufflers behind the motor

Name:	Vt56324.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1346009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52246.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1346010  
Old 12-31-2009, 07:03 PM
darticus

Just, Happy New Year All! Ron
Old 12-31-2009, 10:04 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Happy New Years guys. Try not to hurt yourselves.

Fern
Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 AM
darticus

I wore out the elbows of my sweat shirt walking home. Ron
Old 01-01-2010, 11:49 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

[X(]
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 AM
tam popo

Anyone want a home-made Bug? I know its not a LiteFlite but it is a Bug of sorts.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2MkSp9QETM
Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

After a couple of nice 2u-26 flights, we had a big earthquake. After ensuring that everyone was ok and that I had no major damage, and restarting the Dryer, I flew the Bug for a minute, just as a bit of bravado. I will fly some more today, as well as move things back to where they go and cleaning up detritus.

Fern
Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
darticus

Hope everyone is ok. Keep flying. Ron
Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Ron, everything is fine. The funny part is that in the adrenaline rush I lost a 10 minute 2s bug flight. That was actually the last bird out last night, pre and post earthquake.

Fern
Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM
tam popo

Hiya guys....Bug is ready for Maiden (when snow clears!!). A few changes made: bigger SlowStick wheels, stiffer control rods for less 'flex', and I ended up buying 2 300 2S lipos (£2.88 each) for use on my hols to Turkey. The lipos are bloody light and small, I am amazed.
I checked out the heating problem of the motor and its OK now, but I also bought a Blue Wonder motor, the one I believe Tim uses. This will be for my next Mini GeeBee (similar to Bug).....but its far more powerful than the motor I'm using in the Bug - should be 'interesting'
Here's the stats of the new motor....
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/blue-wonde...-p-404459.html

Still snowing, so Byeeeeee..........
Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Then I flew the Bug for 10 minutes, somehow even when the plane is wrong and the plane is in a bad spot, after over 1000 flights with that frame you can bring it home. And I did. But I had doubts at one part. The dsm2 held exactly where 72mgz failed. I had not planned on going there, until I was there and the radio performed flawlessly. I have to think about that. I "knew" I had lost the Bug. What I was doing was a sort of flying a kite on rc. So I had the Bug very nose up, and had all 4 channels in motion with a see through airplane at 400 yards. This is the point that I lose planes. High Alpha, a couple of hundred yards away, poor light which prevents long range vision of inverted, or banked airplane.

So I am at Bug 2 is lost. And I feed in a twist. Here is the point that I should have known that i was good to go, the twist works, and lets me aim in for home. I rolled the Bug until I was comfortable with the approach and landed the Bug. I think today proved to me that DSM2 is the answer.

Fern
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM
tam popo

Tim, I agree that the extra cost of DSM2 is totally justified. I 'lost' my fave Easystar because it was 35mhz (normal channel here) and it went just out of sight behind a small rise in the ground. I lost control and it landed on a major road without incident. I went round to the plane but just before the local NEDS (Non Educational Delinquents) were loading it into a tarted up car, never to be seen again. Next day I scraped together the neccessary £100 and bought a DX6i and long-range AR6200 - and never had problems again, ever. I'm running the same AR6200 in my BongoBug, even though it will only be used in the space of a tennis court.....just in case!!!
Eileen and I did a range test 6 months ago....the plane was at the maximum of my vision area and still in 'contact'.
I've decided to get a Mini GeeBee Bug-thing for my holidays in Turkey (early May). There are 7 tennis courts to play in and the 'plane' will be taken un-built in my suitcase. The motor will be attached, as well as the servos etc in the UK but the whole thing will be assembled by the pool....next to all the scantily-clad young women - hope I can keep my concentration!!! Eileen isn't happy, but its my plane and my holiday - tough!!!
Byeee.......
Old 02-16-2010, 10:17 AM
tam popo

Flight report: Took the Bug to a large field, only 2 spectators and little wind. First hand launch, not enough power. Sond launch, off it went upwards and away!!! Brilliant, until I decided to bring it back and it wouldn't turn the way I wanted, even with rudder input. Anyway, it shot off over a fence into a tennis court and 'landed'.....hard. Damage was a broken cf loop at front. tried again but turning was not as expected.
Its a week now since that happened and I feel a right idiot....I had the elevons set up in reverse - what should have been right turn was a left, and so-on. Damage repaired and ready to go again. I've got an order in for a micro Su26 and 4-Flite and an outing to an indoor event tomorrow. it should be interesting, will keep you all informed, Byeeee.......
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Good for you Tam. I had a flight with mine last night. First in a while. Fun but I have my trims set for slow flight and I wanted rip.

Fern
Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
tam popo

Guys, I'm just back from yet another flight with the Bug - this is catching!!! All the controls were set up right this time and using a 2S 800 she flew well and very predictable. No mega-speed or anything but she would hover easily, but nothing to set the sky alight. I think a more powerful motor might be in order (Blue Wonder??) and going up to 500 3S. Only damage was (again!) a broken cf bumper and a slight cut in the EPP, but nothing that can't be fixed in 2 minutes. I had to walk 200 yards and I was knackered, the pain in my hip joint is quite painful, so next time I'll just use the w/chair and impersonate Ironside!!!! Can't give up the flying......
Indoor event tonight: I looked at the rules of this Flying Club and it states 'all members must reside and live within 8 miles of the flying site'....what a load of cr.....!!!!!!! This is 2010 for Gawd's sake, they are living in the past, and if they refuse to let me join because of my disabilty the brown stuff will hit that fan!!! I live 20 miles away from the site but only 10 miles from the indoor sports hall.
I'll keep you all posted......
Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Once you get the handle on it, you should be able to land close.

Fern
Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Tam, good luck on that, I hope they let you fly.

If it were my club, I would make an exception for anyone in your condition.
I would also make an exception for anyone with a mental handicap like me
Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 AM
tam popo

Wheelnut, you crack me up!!! Well, I went by following the map instructions from the I-Net - absolute rubbish!! I got there too late,[:-] they had all packed up and gone. And the gym is only 6 miles from where I live but I put 70+ miles on my 'clock' []
I'm going to take a look at my Bug and see if its possible to put a more powerful motor on it - a 2806 of 2000Kv and about 150W....might be just too big. Or better still an E-Max 2812 125W swinging a 9in. prop. I'll still use 2S 800 though. I'll keep you informed.
I'm also in the process of a Depron-build of a GeeBee Nutball with (again) an E-Max 2812/2822. An easy build.
Byeee for now.....
Old 02-22-2010, 08:05 PM
tam popo

Yes guys, I know this is the Liteflite thread but here's a pic of something 'similar'....a Nutball!!!!
It took 1 1/2 hours to make, cost £3 in foam and I've been told they fly great....we shall see
Its now got a 2208 with 8 x 4 and 2S 800, 2 E-Max servos and AR6200 RX etc. the motor is toooo powerful (150+W) but the new BlueWonder (80W) died.[][][>:]
It won't replace the Bug but is a stand in....and its called the 'ZebraNutball'....

Name:	Jh15264.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1384850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69152.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1384851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34008.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1384852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16201.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1384853  
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Is that the same one as you pictured above that was red and white?

What are the differences in flight characteristics?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 AM
tam popo

Wheelnut...its totally new. Built from Artists Board from HobbyCraft stores and is similar to Depron, but just a little heavier but tougher!! The sheets came in 600 x 900mm at £6 for 2 sheets (cheap). Its easy to cut with a jigsaw/hacksaw blade and sanding is easy. I found the plans on RCG by Goldguy, and very easy to follow - its basically round!!! It only has elevator and rudder and I haven't flown it yet, but there's lots of vids on U-Tube.
Its not a replacement for the LF Bug or my BongoBug, but is so cheap its a standby for the car. I still find the Bug the best plane I've ever flown, and I've now got 'The Hang' of it. Just love those High Alpha passbys and 100ft. high hovers - it really impresses anyone who's seen it. I actually feel a little guilty about showing it on this thread, but they are similar in looks etc.
Wheelnut, why don't you drop by on the |Badius thread, this is an invitation, you might find it amusing and informative = the offer is there and I'm sure Farn (Tim) wouldn't mind.
Byeee....I need a new car for my w/chair, 5 seats, 4x4, low boot (trunk??) sill and easy to get into - only one I can find is the new Nissan QuashQuai, and I hate Nissan. Oh, and an auto, and I hate autos....
Byeeee....
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Tam, I think I know that robot[X(].

Fern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.