Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

LightFlite Bug

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
tam popo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LightFlite Bug

Fern...what Robot???
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Tam, I was referring to Gerald's Avatar.

A quick flight report. The wind is not cooperating with me. I want to continue my parallel battery experiments and fly the 4-site, but spring has broken out. And where I live spring means more rain and afternoon breezes in the teens. So, since I was certain nothing happy would occur if I threw a Micro into the air, out came Mr Bug. First flight in a couple of weeks. Probably not the last for a while.

I grabbed the 2s batteries first, since those are what I was flying through the winter. I took off and just surfed the wind. I had the power to pull up and roll etc but just played in the wind like a kid playing in the surf. It was a hoot. I even managed backwards flight several times. That is tricky to pull off. Lot's of sideways flying, and I was happy know that I had serious power on hand.

Then came the 3s battery. I haven't flown a Bug on 3s in months, because I was practicing low and slow. Well, wind is detrimental to indoor style flying, and I now remember why I switched to 3s on the Bug. I was able to do nearly anything I wanted to do, with the knowledge that the winds aloft were at 15mph minimum. I also profited greatly from all the rudder practice from the Bipes. Northern flight required 60-70% left rudder. But I was doing it automatically. I didn't realize it until I thought about it.

I hope to get a Micro out there tonight, but I sense that with the season changes, perhaps plane changes will also occur.

Fern
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: tam popo

Wheelnut...its totally new. Built from Artists Board from HobbyCraft stores and is similar to Depron, but just a little heavier but tougher!! The sheets came in 600 x 900mm at £6 for 2 sheets (cheap). Its easy to cut with a jigsaw/hacksaw blade and sanding is easy. I found the plans on RCG by Goldguy, and very easy to follow - its basically round!!! It only has elevator and rudder and I haven't flown it yet, but there's lots of vids on U-Tube.
Its not a replacement for the LF Bug or my BongoBug, but is so cheap its a standby for the car. I still find the Bug the best plane I've ever flown, and I've now got 'The Hang' of it. Just love those High Alpha passbys and 100ft. high hovers - it really impresses anyone who's seen it. I actually feel a little guilty about showing it on this thread, but they are similar in looks etc.
Wheelnut, why don't you drop by on the |Badius thread, this is an invitation, you might find it amusing and informative = the offer is there and I'm sure Farn (Tim) wouldn't mind.
Byeee....I need a new car for my w/chair, 5 seats, 4x4, low boot (trunk??) sill and easy to get into - only one I can find is the new Nissan QuashQuai, and I hate Nissan. Oh, and an auto, and I hate autos....
Byeeee....
Thanks Tam,

I am already on that site as Tail Wind. Tim was the one who originally invited me. I love that site. Very cool guys.

Thanks for the info, so basically you are saying it is a free set of plans?? Do you have a link to it? I think I have a perfect motor to put in it, or should I say, on it? haha.
I would like to build one. I know a great place to get cheap EPP foam.
www.rcskyflyer.com

Do you guys think the EMax CF2805 would work good for this plane? It says it is for 7V to 9V and a 5" to 6" prop.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gerald, you want a blue wonder if you can get one.

Fern
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Wheelnut

So, I guess you are saying the motor I have is too heavy, right?

What about this one?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2069
Old 03-04-2010, 07:11 AM
tam popo

Gerald - I like the Blue Wonder but about 1700Kv, it will swing an 8 x 4 on 2S. But that E-Max 2805 is almost the right motor.....In my opinion the 2812 is ideal 'cos that can swing a 9 x 4 easily. If you want to swing something BIG then the 2822 is the one. Blue Wonder is 70W, E-Max is about 120W.
Mounting couln't be easier with both motors. Get the plastic 10mm stick mount that has a bolt at the end to tighten it up - the BW will go in the hole but thrust angles are hard to set. But, you can use the round bit of plastic that inserts into the hole and bolt the E-Max mount to it. The thrust lines/angles are achieved by using 'shims' to get the offset right. So changing from either motor to the other is easy....and both motors here are about £5 (cheapest motors around!!!).
Downside with the BW is the wires at the back are exposed and can break - motor dies!!! You can protect the wires by wrapping with soft string coated in GWS glue or similar. The E-Max is exposed but as much.
You can build a Nutball from Depron, that artsists board (I use), or EPP. The extra weight of the artists board makes it more stable in winds. I've got 2 sheets of EPP on the way so I'm building 2 more, they are that good.
Byeee for now....Oh, piccys of latest project, a 4-Site 250 lookalike in artists board, very light....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47516.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1390902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95910.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1390903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68598.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1390904  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Wheelnut

About the EPP you ordered. Did you get the 1.3 or 1.9?

I'm currently trying to learn about EPP, but RCSkyflyer isn't replying to my questions very quick. I got the 1.3 and it is very flimsy[]

Is it true that the numbers I am talking about have something to do with the rigidity of the foam?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:37 AM
tam popo

Wheelnut, I haven't got a clue!!!! It was advertised as 5mm but nothing else. Its coming from the same company that sold me my Bongo, which I think is 5mm also. The other choice would have been 9mm but I thought that too thick. You can check it out on their w-site at this www.flyingwings.co.uk - scroll down on the left hand menu to foam supplies.
What glue do you use on EPP....I use UHU Por and its great, and epoxy isn't far behind it. See ya later.....
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Wheelnut

Tam,
I'm not talking about the thickness. The EPP I ordered was 9mm. But I'm talking about the rigidity. The site I bought mine from list it as #1.3 and #1.9 and they list the thickness righ along site it. Like this
Since the 1.9 is more expensive, I am guessing it is more compact or rigid.

6/7mm
12 X 36 1.3 #White $3.16
12 X 36 1.9 #White $3.59

8/9mm
12 X 36 1.3# White $4.48
Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Gerald, I agree with your supposition. Theoretically they are saying that 6/7mm 12 X 36 1.3 #White $3.16, 12 X 36 1.9 #White $3.59 a pound density, so 1.3 LB vs 1.9 lb. Is this hot cut or saw cut EPP? I think I would have to go for the 1.9 for tail feathers, and the primary wing will need CF.

Fern

The Bug is 9mm soft epp I think.

Fern
Old 03-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Wheelnut

Thanks Tim,
Yep, they finally got back to me. The 1.3 and 1.9 are for density/rigidity. I have a piece of 12 X 36 1.3# that is basically useless. I got it to upgrade the stock Depron tail pieces that came with my MS Composite Pitts. I really wanted to build the plane this weekend. Now I don't know if I should go ahead and build the plane with the stock Depron tail or order the 1.9 EPP.
I have been flying my Unique with stock Depron Tail pieces for a year and I haven't broke it yet. I guess it will be fine. I could always replace it if I break it.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

It's been awhile. Since I started getting back into Micros and into a more 3D flying style, the Bug has been sharing batteries with sexier planes. First the Reflection and then the Yak-55. But the Reflection turns into a box kite in some wind, and the Yak is a blast but I am not confident in it's abilities in a 10+ mph wind. But I have close to 90 flights on Bug2, so in the 1100 flight range for the model. And it WILL do wind.

So I took it out, the trim was way off for the first flight, diving left, but old habits kicked in and after a minute or so the plane was scooting, surfing and being crushed by the winds waves. At times I was do towering climbs, inverted spins, no power nose drops, and just acting like a kite. I have flown 2 batteries through it tonight so far. I want to fly the Yak. And I want to try a tweaked Mustang. But, sunset is a while off and if the wind keeps up, more Bug flights will occur.

Such a perfect overall plane.

Fern
Old 07-06-2010, 05:58 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here's a new video. I have been taking the Bug out to fly in other locales and discovered that it is really fun low in decent wind. The video was shot in front of my house though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/FerndaleAirForce#p/a/u/0/wWxZT7dhm1g[/youtube] http://www.youtube.com/user/Ferndale.../0/wWxZT7dhm1g[youtube][/youtube]

Fern
Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
jrdale210

Hijust finally got around to test flying the Bug, c of g was way out and one aileron servo came totally loose in flight, it managed to land ( I did not do much) and minimal damage to landing gear. Now set c of g and dual rates as recommended and ready to try again.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Good luck JR. Mine always flies a touch nose high.

Fern
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here is todays video evidence of the superlative nature of the Bug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9RHiFFwJJY

Fern

This version should have sound, http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...206%20Prop.wmv

The sound works.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here is a video shot from the Bug in flight.

http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...s%20Camera.wmv

I will go get it uploaded to YouTube next

Fern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9k95kk8ro
Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

There are a bunch of new videos on my Youtube site.

I also ordered up a new skin, so I will have a "new" bug. The current bug is undergoing modifications.[X(]

Fern
Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I'm still waiting on the new skin. So here is a Heli vid. [X(]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NQI_HyZtL4

Fern
Old 11-13-2010, 09:13 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Here is the new bug. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iUVghNN5Qo

Fern
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

New video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1zyD6gYeI
Old 02-03-2011, 07:46 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1JSmlSM8tk

Awesome new video. Any viewers?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3M0-uPt1tY

You will enjoy this video. I promise, OK, I think you will enjoy this video
Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Another fun video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpQe65xVL8E

Tim
Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 PM
darticus

Tim are you still flying? Ron Darticus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.