Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Phase 3 Mini Spitfire ep

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 PM
drypipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phase 3 Mini Spitfire ep

Does anyone know if the new Phase 3" Mini Spitfire" is a 3 or 4 ch. airplane ? Does it have ailerons?

Plane Nuts.
Drypipe.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
jjaypops

Default RE: Phase 3 Mini Spitfire ep

I just ordered 1 and the advertisement said it was a 3 channel with Ailerons, Elevator, and Throttle.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
drypipe

Great. Can you report back to me on it's flight performance and workmanship? Do you know if it has a brushless motor-if not, what kind of brushed motor does it have-with a gear box? It looks like Phase3 is trying to cash in on the success of the very popular Cox "Micro Warbird" series.
I will wait till after the Holidays to see if the price will go down. I'm guessing around $60-70? It will be interesting to see what other warbirds Phase3 will develop in the near future. I think they are floating a trial baloon here to see if this new product will...FLY..... with the micro/mini crowd!

Plane Nuts,
Drypipe.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Where can you get one? I have been looking and can't find it.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:10 PM
drypipe

Wheelnut, go to www.hobbypeople.net Search Phase 3 mini Spitfire.

Plane Nuts,
Drypipe.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Wheelnut

Cool, not bad. I think they meant rudder. I would be a little suprised about a plane that has ailerons without a rudder.
Can't wait to hear jjaypops report.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM
drypipe

The Cox Micro Warbirds weighed in around 5oz. with a wing span around 20" and length of about 17.5" This Phase 3 Spitfire weighs around 6.5oz. with a span of 21". I'm sure it must be a can motor/geared stick mount type, perfect for a bl upgrade using the new c-20 series outrunner motors from www.blackdogrc.com. A TowerPro 10A ESC for $15.00 is just the thing. 2S 450mah Liop. The small C-20 motor can be stick mounted with an optional adaptor-fast and less work than a fire wall mount.
Brushed motors are used by companies like Guanli who still continue ( hopefully not for long), to manufacture junk airplanes. Although they have placed brushless motors in some of their warbirds ( good start), the motors overpower the eggshell foam construction of the aircraft in question, causing stress and failure. They are also very fragile, just one wrong bump and it's epoxy time. GWS is starting to wake up and produce better quality foam products along with the new brushless/EDF technoloy. I think this new revoluton in better quality airplanes made in China is due in part to the increase in the living standards of the Chinese factory workers. They are getting increased wages and improved living conditions in company owned apartments. This will bring an increase in retail prices to U.S hobby consumers. If there will be better pay and living conditions for the Chinese toy and raido control model worker, I will be happy to pay a little more money for my Thunder Tiger FW-190ep. As for Phase 3, although ahead of Guanli and Grand Wing Systems, they are also working to improve their products. ( But the mini Spitfire still really needs a brushless system!!!! )
A little off the subject, but I thought it was important to post this fact to all fellow Raido Control Hobby People out there in the U.S. wether our hobby interests may be r/c trucks,cars, boats,helicopters, tanks or planes.

Plane Nuts,
Drypipe.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM
drypipe

Wheelnut. No there is no rudder control. I'm very sure of this. This spitfire is designed to turn by aileron control, just like the Alfa warbirds are designed. She will make a somewhat left or right banking motion. The turn motion will not be as sharp and smooth as a fighter with full four channel control. None the less, a turn, is a turn, is a turn, as they say. I think this warbird will complete its mission.

November 2008 issue of "Model Airplane News" Page 26,: They did a small report of the Mini. It is a PNP with throtle, elevator and aileron control. One cell Liop? I don't think there will be much flight time. They should have included at least a 450mah( @ 26g) 2S w/ a 7.4v esc. The mod crowd will be happy.

Plane Nuts,
Drypipe.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
drypipe

I emailed Global and they told me that the Mini Spitfire only has a " custom brushed motor of 180 size". Looks like upgrades are needed. I think that Phase 3 is testing the market in the U.S., to see if the consumer is still interested in mini/micro warbird products. Several years ago, the Cox mini warbirds were a big success and Phase 3 is not willing, at this time, to go through the added productiuon costs of adding brushless electronics if this new product is not going to fly in U.S. markets. Maybe next quarter we will see a new round of the Phase 3 brushless mini warbirds on store shelves.

Is the micro craze still alive for r/c warbirds in the U.S.?

Plane Nuts,
Drypipe.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:26 PM
tubamike78

i was in at my lhs last weakend and saw this sitting in there. looks like a nice solid airplane. i think i may be going back their today to get it unless someone else beat me to it. if i do get it i may fly it today yet, snow on ground here in ohio but wind is not to bad. will report back soon.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 PM
ShokWaveRider

I got mine for $42.50 Shipped to my door from eBay, it is a great deal. Still in the box though. I will build it in time.

SWR
Old 11-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Wheelnut

I just did a search on ebay for Phase 3 Mini Spitfire ep and nothing came up.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 PM
ShokWaveRider

Check the closed auctions for "Phase 3 Spitfire".

regards,

SWr
Old 11-22-2008, 07:59 PM
drypipe

You are correct Wheelnut. There is no such thing as a listing for a Phase 3 mini Spitfire on ebay. I think Shockwaverider is blowing some smoke up our asses.

Plane nuTS,
Drypipe.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:16 PM
drypipe

ShockWaveRider. I take back about you blowing smoke up our asses. You were very correct. Please let me know on the Mini Spitfire's flight performance. ENJOY!!!! And Happy Thanksgiving you sly ebay man![sm=punching.gif]

Plane nuTS,
Drypipe.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Wheelnut

Would someone mind letting me know what it is listed under then???
Old 11-23-2008, 12:59 AM
drypipe

Wheelnut. I found it by googleing " ebay Phase 3 Mini Spitfire". It came up under Bobs Hobby Shop. www.bobshobbyshop.com . I think he sell hobby stuff through email and on ebay. Could not find the Mini on his website, but I emailed him to see if he has any more spits on his shelf.

I hope this helps.

Plane nuTS,
Drypipe.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:45 AM
ShokWaveRider

ORIGINAL: drypipe

You are correct Wheelnut. There is no such thing as a listing for a Phase 3 mini Spitfire on ebay. I think Shockwaverider is blowing some smoke up our asses.

Plane nuTS,
Drypipe.
Typical: Spout off first, think later.

SWR
Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 PM
tubamike78

i picked mine up at my lhs last night for $73.00 and put it together last night and flew it this morning. using dx6i radio with ar6100e, left it at 100% throws and added 35% expo. did my test flght at the airport so i could try rog, took off just fine but sun was in my eyes at airport so landed and took it out to the club field where i could fly with sun behind me, removed landing gear since club field is grass, only requires a light underhand toss to get in air. the brushed motor seems to have plenty of power, took 3 clicks of down elevator trim to get level light, no aileron trim was needed. flyes pretty fast but can also be slowed down nicely for landing. loops from level flight were great and rolls were pretty solid. i'm not sure on flight time yet, for temp at flight time was 22deg. and wind was blowing at 7mph, so after 8 minutes of flying my fingers were to numb to fly anymore. but at 8 minutes it still had planty of power so not for sure just how long it will go. this is a fun little bird to fly and i'll keap my eyes open for other phase 3 warbirds. i don't think rudder is really neaded with this bird, but it looks like it would be very easy to add rudder if wanted.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:29 PM
tubamike78

put in another flight on the spit tonight, got 10 min flight time out of her, about 70% of flight was full throtel and 30% betwen half and 3/4 throtel. she is a pretty fast little bird and a lot of fun to fly. inverted flight needs about 1/2 down elevater to hold level.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
drypipe

It seem that Phase 3 is developing some good performing PNPs. There will be a release of a larger PNP model P-40 Warhawk w/ bl electronics for $170.00 soon.

Plane nuTS,
Drypipe.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:43 PM
drypipe

Thank You. Drypipe always corrects his statements even when confronted with an undocumented statement.

Plane nuTS,
Drypipe.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 PM
tubamike78

i saw that, it even comes with retracts and full 4 channel.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
drypipe

It certanily got my attention this summer, but I will wait until the Newness of the novilty wears off and the price goes down before I decide to buy this P-40. By that time if there any bugs in the system, Phase 3 may have made the necessary corrections in productuion. Its interesting what kind of foam material they are going to use? I hope they make a smart move and make this Warhawk out of the new EPO foam, and not ESP foam, like GWS has done with their new P-40 Warhawk kits and the Banana Hobby RTFs AT-6 Texan and Corsair.

Plane nuTS,
Drypipe.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM
ShokWaveRider

Anyone got an idea of the throws on the Ailerons and Elevator? Mine seems awfully small, really small. I cannot find them in the manual.

Not sure what to set the radio to.

Thanks

SWR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.