Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Greatplanes Pluma vs. RC Universe flatout

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Greatplanes Pluma vs. RC Universe flatout

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
dilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greatplanes Pluma vs. RC Universe flatout

I'm looking for a Christmas present and can't decide between Electrifly's Pluma or their RC Universe Flatout. By budget is $50 for the plane and any helpful advise will be appreciated. If any of you have flown these two and can break out the pros and cons to both that would be even better. I am an experienced foam flyer and jsut recently had to retire my Ikaris Yak and need a replacement.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 07:06 PM
sonicjet

Default RE: Greatplanes Pluma vs. RC Universe flatout

Get the pluma or the new yak-54 the flat-outs are non-fling brittle heavy trash.
yak-54: http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../gpma1131.html
Heres a video of Jason Noll flying the yak as his competition plane. http://video1.hobbico.com/gallery/gp...-jn-deluxe.mpg
warning,33MB

Old 11-13-2008, 11:18 PM
dilly

Thanks...... the yak seems perfect. Is it going to be ok outdoors with a 1300 2C lipo and axi 2208?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
sonicjet

ORIGINAL: dilly

Thanks...... the yak seems perfect. Is it going to be ok outdoors with a 1300 2C lipo and axi 2208?
[sm=biggrin.gif] uh no...maybe with an 500 mAh 3s lipo and a 19g motor,it is a indoor 3d/pattern plane designed for a flying weaght of about 4.5 oz-5.5oz,for that equipment I would suggest this:http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2300
Old 11-14-2008, 07:22 PM
dilly

4Good to know....... so in your opinion....... would you prefer the 260 over the pluma for out door use?

Thanks, I really appreciate your input
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
sonicjet

Yes,less drag and heaver,it will be a good flyer with your power system,what's your radio and servo setup?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
dilly

I have Futaba 9C with HS 55's and either a 4 or 6 channel GWS micro receiver.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM
sonicjet

That will be perfect for the extra,BTW if you have a LHS they might stock the plane,as it is an horizon product. Also the axi motor caculater recommends that setup for the EA260 size plane.
http://www.modelmotors.cz/axisetupho...ce=&hmotnost=o
They did a great job with the plane,beautiful.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
aramsdell

I oly hae experience with the Great Planes Foamies. Very brittle. I had a Flatana and I am flying a Pluma now. Pluma flies outdoors even in a moderate wind. Anyone going the G Pl. route might want to reinforce the wings with clear packing tape first to prevent them shattering. maye tape a light carbon rod to the L.E. My Pluma gains weight everytime I don't land.... It looks like Franken-Plane now with all the epoxy and CA on it.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:08 PM
dilly

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with the Eflight Extra 260. Haven't flown it yet, but i looked through the kit and it looks good. I'm excited to see how it flys.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 PM
sonicjet

Cool,hope you love it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

I had the RCU bipe.. and since this is in the indoor section.. I'm guessing you're interested in it's indoor capability. Stupid me thought it would be fine in a small gym, and it really wasn't. Too heavy and brittle IMO. Had to fly too fast to enjoy it indoor. Flew nice outside though. They are fragile though.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
jaime.mi

Guys do your self a favor stay away from the pluma! I maiden mine this morning, and it was looking as pretty as the pictures in the magazines. I was psyched, CG was perfect, had plenty of power. I took of vertical did a couple of turns to trim it out. I had some altitude and the plane was flying great! I dove it and and made a sudden elevetor pull to iniciate a hover... thats when the wings tore of the plane. Those morons give you extremely thin carbon fiber rods, which you have to pierce into the foam and glue hoping to achieve secure mounting. If someone ever gives that plane for free, I would score the wings and enforce them with a solid CB rod. those little rods are a pain to install, and obviously useless with gauge of foam they use for the wings. Thank you Electrifly! You have managed to wow us with pretty pictures, only to rip us of with a poor design!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^Booooo! Pluma's, if built right, are an awesome lil' plane! Yes there is need of some little extras in the building process. Isn't that what makes kits fun to build? The thing can take a beating and still be able to fly, Franken Plane as has been said. The GP Yak 54 has its issues, but is also a great flier. Its a foamie, homie!