Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

DSM2 Transmitter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:36 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSM2 Transmitter Questions

Iam a complete NOVICE trying to make sense of micro-transmitter technology, and hope to ask sensible questions: FOREXAMPLE:Just as the 12C and 14C, The Futuba 9Coffers great versatility - its dependability hasgreatly enhanced my flying experience.

As I looktoward DSM2 technology, there appears quite a range in performance andquality. Iam planningto submerge in MICRO-FLYING, and wouldlike to do so with ONETRANSMITTER - in order to fly things like thenew Parkszone Sukhoi SU-26 BNF, as well scratch built critters of my own design - winter's in the north country can get awfully long.

What are my options? Versatility and Dependability dictate price.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
schuh007

Default RE: DSM2 Transmitter Questions

Im new to the DSM2 set ups as well, but I have been shopping around for myself and I think we might be in the same boat. I have been looking at the Spektrum DX6i. it is mode 2, I guess the previous DX6 wasn't. and you can program up to ten models into it. There is a package out there that comes with an Rx, but if youre home building micros you may want to get your own RX.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Look around, there are alot of heli guys that got the Blade 400, I think it is, and they don't want the DX6i that comes with it. I picked mine up pretty cheap and then found some good deals on receivers as well.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 PM
David Eichstedt
My Feedback: (17)

bindnfly.com lists the complete range of compatible transmitters. Considering what you've described, I would recommend the DX7. There's double the model memory of the DX6i, an extra channel, and more versatile programming options. No question the 6i is a great radio, and if that's what's in your budget I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, but since you're already flying a 9-channel radio, you'll probably get along better with the DX7.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 PM
gi1mo2

I just bought a DX7 for all my previous helis (eFlite MCX, ex-CX2, CP Pro 2) and the new 450 class heli I will hopefully be flying soon. Love the transmitter. I was having difficulty setting it up for my eFlite CP Pro 2, but found my answer in these forums. Horizon Hobby pointed me to the CP Pro 2 BNF manual (I have the RTF version), but pitch was reversed with throttle. The settings from a user post worked for me. The quality of the transmitter is something else. Binding with my MCX was a snap. Stick movement, the precision, the ability to change pitch curve, throttle, sub-trim etc is very easy. The display is easy to read (don't need to put my reading glasses for this). I learned a lot about transmitters and receivers just by playing with the various programming elements of the transmitter. I'm sure it will work with the mSR I'm considering for indoors flying this fall.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some issues with the DX6i binding with the BNF planes. A buddy has one and sometimes it takes up to two minutes for it to bind. Other guys have had the same problems. DX7 is a much better buy especially if you buy the stand alone trans.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I have the DX6i and I guess I am very lucky.
I have 4 receivers on different planes and they all bound very quickly and have worked perfectly ever since, not one glitch. I also have now bound to my Sukhoi (my 5th DSM2 plane) and it bound quickly ans well and after 5 or so flights with it, still no issues.
I guess sometimes it is the luck of the draw. I know that they had a recall on some DX6i models. Make sure to check with the Spektrum site to make sure you don't get one that is on recall or you have to send it in. I have heard that after you get it back, there are no problems.