Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub: L-4 Grasshopper Conversion

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub: L-4 Grasshopper Conversion

Old 02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
webdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub: L-4 Grasshopper Conversion

I'd like to show you all my Ultra Micro Cub. I converted it to an L-4 Grasshopper. This was a very quick and easy conversion. If your interested in making your plain yellow cub unique, heres how to do it.

First, peel off all the stickers. The black cub stripe down the side helps hold the fuse halves together so you will need to put a few drops of CA on both sides to keep it together.

For paint I chose Tamiya Olive Drab acrylic, flat white, and flat black. All paint was shot with an airbrush and masking tape. I didnt do alot of prep work except sand the whole plane with 400 grit to remove the dots from the fuse and to give the paint a good surface to adhere to. Even after that the paint liked to peel up some when I removed the masks for the stripes and windows. A quick touchup with a brush fixed all the spots.

You'll need Plastruct .040"x.125 Styrene strips and .025" styrene round rod for the wing struts. The struts are attached with foam safe CA. Cut the struts to your desired length and ca the ends together, then push them into the foam fuselage right behind the landing gear. Your goal is to make a little indentation to fill with CA and reinsert. To attach the strut to the wing, just use a drop of CA and thats it. The round rod was used to mimic the tail feather wire and support bracing for the strut. Remove the foam tires and shoot the whole plane with olive drab. Mask your invasion stripes and windows and your done!
Im going to add the stars and bars as well as a few numbers as soon as I make the masks.

Total weight in stock form is 26 grams
Total weight after conversion is 29 grams
Only 3 grams added with struts and paint! Not bad, huh?

The weather is pretty bad here so I will maiden her as soon as the wind dies down. Stay tuned!
Matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95621.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1372305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13921.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1372306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67110.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1372307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66920.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1372308   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99630.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1372309  
Old 02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Default RE: Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub: L-4 Grasshopper Conversion

Nice job Webdr,
Looks nice
Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
smackdn775

Default RE: Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub: L-4 Grasshopper Conversion

Looks good. I had light winds here in north Texas and still got in a few flights tonight. so far she is a good flyer. tried to do a loop but could not get over the top.