Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Broken Heli

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 PM
helisrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Heli

Hello guys!

Just thought I would let you know what I thought of my heli. I really enjoy it and am starting to get used to flying it. Unfortunately, I broke the front part of the landing skid and I cracked the piece that covers the infra-red sensor. I think I could probably just get a new IR unit to fix the plastic piece, but I was wondering about the landing skid because it seems to be in a weird spot. Any tips or suggestions on either part would be great. I always looking to save money if I can! [img]images/smiley/msn/regular_smile.gif[/img] I have posted pictures. Thanks!

<fieldset><legend accesskey="I">Attachments</legend>

Click for fullsize
</fieldset>
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Default RE: Broken Heli

Helisrock, I would see about new landing gear and then think about the IR unit. That break is common on the mCX and the mSR. If the IR unit still functions just seal it with some tape.

Fern
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM
helisrock

Just to clarify, the part of the landing skid that broke off is stuck in the plastic tube that is coming down. So I don't think I could install a new landing skid without basically taking the whole thing apart and installing a new frame as well. I looked to see if there was any way to push the broken piece out, but there is now way I can get at it. I hope I am clear in my explanation. Please let me know any suggestions u have? Glue?(what type?) New Landing skid? and how to install without taking the whole frame apart? (if possible) Thanks!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

It is a bit of rubber tube the allows the LG to be installed. And the rebellious bit of plastic should be reasonably easy to evict. Far easier than the drunk guy at your weekend party, The lg pin is normally square, and square on the frame. so at all cardinal points you should have a flat spot not in contact with the tube. Try a set of straight pins, push them into the tube opposite each other. Push them in until they make contact. Pull back a touch, now pull the head of the pin away from the rotors and push in back in until you have contact. Do this on both sides. Now push the pins up equally. The top of the post should appear. They you can grab it with nail clippers, small pliers, etc. Give it a twist as you extract it.

I think heat produced in manufacturing is why the first one is so hard to extract. You might consider going to an auto parts store and buying a 1 use package if Sil-Glide. This would allow the new lg to install easier as well as potentially not break off as easily.

Here are a couple of tool sets you might want to have on hand, http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-94931.html and http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-66836.html

Buena Suerte.

Fern
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
helisrock

I understand what you are saying, but how am I supposed get at the tube without taking the whole heli apart?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

From your second pic, you are there. You should be able to pull the pin out. Here is a particularly bad pic. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=FCE2022

Tim
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 PM
helisrock

Tim,

I think I might have made the problem worse now.... I tried sticking a pin in and pulling the plastic piece out. As I was sticking the pin in I pushed it up pretty far so now I dont know if I would even be able to get at it with the pliers you suggested. I thought I could maybe just push it up enough to slide a new landing skid in without taking the piece out, but it wont budge anymore and it is nowhere near being up far enough. I say it is in about 1/8 of an inch farther up then what my first pic shows. Sorry to keep bugging you but any other suggestions would be great. I guess its all part of the learning process. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:24 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Try pushing the pin through the side of the tube and then levering upward. You could also try to gently pry the rubber tube off of the heli's frame. I do not think that side is glued either. But the pin as a lever through the tube should do the job.

Tim