Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Rimfire 300 (28-22-1380) SHAFT ISSUE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Rimfire 300 (28-22-1380) SHAFT ISSUE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:22 PM
3D Pal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rimfire 300 (28-22-1380) SHAFT ISSUE!!!

I recently bought this motor off of towerhobbies for my great planes extra 330sc foamy. I need to slide theshaft forward so that I can use the included prop saver mount. I have removed all set screws, c-clips, and washers. I have put a little wd-40 on the shaft but no matter what I do it wont budge!!!! I have tried everything like pliers and research on the internet but it has not worked! Does anyone know how to fix this?

Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
diabolic-mind

Default RE: Rimfire 300 (28-22-1380) SHAFT ISSUE!!!

is the prop shaft threaded? try holding the prop shaft tightly with pliers and then try spinning the prop counter clockwise and see if it comes off. if not at the very least spinning it while holding the prop shaft might loosen it up a bit. and the most extreme thing that you could do if you had a extra prop you could always cut the prop off with a dremel. dont cut the prop shaft but cut down the side of the prop where it goes onto the prop shaft. be carreful not to cut into the shaft though. ive had to do it once before, it sucked but worked
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 PM
3D Pal

Darnit! Sorry diabolic mind. I meant that I had to slide the SHAFT forward. not the prop. i am following the manual`s directions to install the prop saver thing. it requires me to slide the shaft into the motor so the shaft sticks out on the other side.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 AM
diabolic-mind

oh ok sorry, do youhave some pics of the motor? if i could ee it i might have a better idea as to what you could do.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:10 AM
diabolic-mind

3D, i was just looking at pics of it online and it doesnt appear that you could slide the shaft forward at all. if you did there would be nothing on the backside to put the "E" clip back onto. i would say it would seem that you need to get a longer shaft and replace the stock one with one that has the length needed to use your prop saver. but im not sure how easily that shaft will come out. i would imagine that the shaft is designed to sit in there very tightly to prevent the shaft from coming loose and flying away with the prop. it might not even be removable. if it says that it is in the manual for the motor i would look for some info on weather or not the shaft is threaded. i could name a dozen ways you could try getting it out but theres the issue of damaging the shaft or even the armatures of the motor itself. all i can think of is if you have 2 pairs of vise grips as gently as you can, grip the armatures of the motor with one pair and the shaft with the other and try spinning the shaft to break it free. but this is just one of the options i would consider if i were in your position. im sure its not reccomended. if your going to attempt it i would say wrap something around each point your gripping with vise gips to prevent scratching and digging into them as much as possible. but snap some pics of your motor in its unassembled form for me, maybe seeing it apart will spark some other ways of getting that stubborn shaft loose....
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
3D Pal

Maybe if I give you the link to the manual for this motor it will give you some ideas..cause i'm all out! Heres the link for the rimfire 300. http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmg4...-manual-v2.pdf         go to the part where it says configuring the motor and (if you choose to use the prop saver adapter.) If that link doesnt work try this one. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLWT1&P=ML      scroll down and click on the 338GB manual. (Manual 1)   Thanks!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
diabolic-mind

i couldnt find the manual in the second link. the pdf file was darn near impossible to read in photoshop. got a direct link to the online manual for it?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:39 AM
3D Pal

No, sorry I don't have another link. Luckily I called the greatplanes company for help and they suggested tapping the shaft with a mallet till it slides. So I did what they said and it worked! Now I can use the prop saver adapter! Thanks for the ideas though!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 AM
diabolic-mind

np, i dont know why i didnt think of tapping on it lol