Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

micro scratch builders

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 AM
diabolic-mind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default micro scratch builders

i thought it would be cool to have a single thread to post all our scratch built micro sized projects in. as of right now i have 2 sets of electronics to use for building micro sized planes. the first set of "gear" i have is from a pakzone suhkoi, it is all stock including the aileron servo. with it the radio that i got is the radio from a blade cx-2. the second set of gear i have is from a erc micro p-51 mustang. for the suhkoi gear i plan on using it in the bipe that i built. if it doesnt work out in the bipe then the bipe is going on display as just a model and im going to attempt using the suhkoi gear to build a jet. ideally i would like to make a ducted fan jet, or possibly a pusher prop jet similar to the stryker that micro builder made. im also considering using the erc mustang gear to power a dual bipe, by dual bipe i mean a bi plane that has upper and lower wings in the front, and upper and lower wings in the rear. and instead of having a single fuse to connect the 2 down the center it will have a fuse on the ends of each wing that connects it all together, and a single prop in the center of the whole concoction.

i know some of you dont think your any good at building but post your homemade projects here, even if they didnt fly lets get a collection of homeade planes together here for the community to share.

P.S. microbuilder, i know you have an abundance of planes too, feel free to post any plans your willing to share here, i seen your youtube slideshow and you have alot of sick looking planes.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:18 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Default RE: micro scratch builders

Hi guys. I found a site that might please your micro building hearts. Hobb e mart. http://stores.ebay.com/Hobb-e-Mart I just picked up a complete CX3 RTF for $60. Everything is a return, but they check out the stuff first. Just ensure you read what they say is wrong. And in my case they were really nitpicky. The heli looks like new to me.

Fern
Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 PM
diabolic-mind

CHA-CHING!!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:41 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I thought that you might like the site.

Fern
Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
diabolic-mind

yeah thats pretty sweet. ive been eyeing it for some micros
Old 06-17-2010, 09:45 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

There's a couple picture threads a few pages back I think with some nice models folks have built, but heres the micro Stryker (again). Got the servos installed and soldered up, rear hatch in place (thought bare wood would look good, but I think it needs some black). All thats left is soldering up the battery pack and making the battery hatch! Hoping to finish that tomarrow, as its supposed to be pretty nice out finally, AUW looks to be around 70 grams.

Where'd neurotex go again? He's got some great models!

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92231.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	467.5 KB
ID:	1454614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70535.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	582.5 KB
ID:	1454615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65315.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	1454616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19729.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	561.4 KB
ID:	1454617  
Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

That is sooooooo coooooool!
I hope you are as good of a pilot as you are a builder or I would be scared to fly it
It's too nice to crash
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Aircraftfreak15

i would agre with weel nut it is to nice to crash ita an awsome looking plane.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 AM
diabolic-mind

looking sharp micro, im looking forward to a flight report and hopefully a video of it. that color scheme is very nice too i might add.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 PM
micro_builder

Thanks guys, it actually came out like it was supposed to (its usually pretty hit or miss ). I've been flying the big Stryker for about 6 years now, so if this little thing handles anything like its big brother, I should be able to fly the wings off it! It should handle a crash pretty well too, there's lots of thick balsa - the nose is almost completely solid, just a hole dug out for the lipo to fit. I'm actually more worried about the launch, since there's no easy way to hold it. I'm gonna have to make a little tab on the bottom so theres actually something to grab.

I just started soldering up the lipo pack and fried the cells in the process [:@] I knew it seemed like it was all going too well... Hopefully the local hobby shop will have something that will supply the current and be small enough to fit!

Nick

edit: The LHS just happened to have a 250mah 20C 3S pack that fits like a glove. I'm heading out to a friends to give it a maiden (hopefully!), I'll get him to shoot some video.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Good Luck on the Maiden
Old 06-18-2010, 09:00 PM
diabolic-mind

hey micro i have an idea that might work wonders for your launching issue. i seen something similar before for ducted jets also. but if you could come up with  sling shot type of lancher that uses large rubber bands and a smooth surface for the plane to sit on you could simple set it on the launcher and fire it like a sling shot. i would say make it rather long with a decent incline. and for a kicker you could have some type of foot pedal that you could press with your foot to release it so that you could have both hands on the controls. ive thought of building something like it just for the sake of launching planes off of it.

from the pics too it looks like you might be able to hold it from the top near the canopy and under arm toss it. i do that with my planes when i lauch them. but i cant waitfor a video and flight report, best of luck
Old 06-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Aircraftfreak15

good luck man hope it flyes well. you need to ask parkzone for a partnership.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:46 AM
micro_builder

She flys! And quickly too. It took a couple launches to realize it launches just like its big brother...you need lots of throttle and be quick on the elevator! Once in the air I realized I hadnt dialed in any expo, and I should have...you can see the plane rocking back and forth a few times, thats me fighting to keep it level - very sensitive. Despite the twitchy behavior, it cruised out quite well, untill the motor started making an awfull sound (about 35 seconds in the video you can hear it, its quite obvious!). I think someone at HobbyKing accidently gave me crushed gravel, not ball bearings. The vibration definetely robbed some power, but it still moved out nicely (hard to judge the speed in the video, but I can tell you it was a little rocket!!)

I had to put in about 65% expo to calm it down, and once I did that it was smooth as silk. Rolls were ridiculously fast, will have to set up dual rates. Despite weighing nearly 3 ounces, it still went verticle till it got pretty small, which didnt take very long, lots of power. Inverted flight was a cake walk, pretty surprised at how well it flys upside down, better than its bigger counterpart. By the time I had things dialed in, it was too dark for the video camera, so I'll try again tomarrow morning before the wind picks up, but here's the first flight, the landing wasnt very pretty, she comes in like a bullet. Seems to handle the rough landings and bad launches ok. Launching from the nose was ok, but not great, I had thought about holding it from the canopy as Diaboilic mind mentioned, but I was afraid of getting my finger in the prop. Just need to glue in that small tab to the underside so there's something to grab.

Overall, very pleased, the flight was very reminicent of my first flight with the big Stryker - wobbly knees and shaking thumbs and a big grin, just how it should be Now I must put some color on the rear hatch, shorten up the lipo wires, and make the canopy hatch...oh, and do something with those gravel bearings too.

I'll post more info tomarrow in my Stryker thread.

Nick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znd2f8sx9v0
Old 06-19-2010, 08:23 AM
diabolic-mind

BRAVO, very nice man, for a second there i forgot it was a micro version. in the air it looks and sounds like its big brother. it deffinatly has some speed and attitude to it. nicely done. its always good to see the final product working the way its supposed too. if only i were having the same luck with my bipe lol.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Wheelnut

Freakin AWESOME!!!!!!!!
The first two tosses had to be disappointing, but it just needed more speed. That baby definitely won't fly slow
VERY NICE JOB!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Great video. It makes me wonder about an ultra micro bug.

Fern
Old 06-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Aircraftfreak15

omg that is so awsmoe are ther any more coming in the near futer?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM
micro_builder

Thanks guys! I got 2nd video with it dialed in...sure wish youtube would upload it as the HD video it is...it turns into a pixle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF-uSMjoepQ

Nick
Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 PM
diabolic-mind

dude that thing is a bullet. i wish you had a radar gun so you could get an official speed on it, it seems wicked fast in the high speed flyby. i noticed too that you still having issues with those pesky gravel bearings! awesome, awesome, plane though man. i love the lawn dart landing too, how does it handle coming in hot like that and stopping abruptly? id love to see parkzone take a hint from that little badass bird and put out a production model of it, perhaps you could contact them, maybe get some cash in your pocket. nice work though man, cant wait to see your next build
Old 06-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Wheelnut

Super cool.
Scale speed must be like 300mph
Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
micro_builder

I finally got youtube to recognise my video as an HD, so I took a new video today at the field I usually fly at...I feel much more comfortable there. I nosed it in pretty hard a few times, no damage to be seen, just had to wipe off the clumps of dirt clinging to the nose I switched props and used a prop saver that weighs more than it should. I think the extra weight helped the motor bearings calm down a bit, sounds much better and seems faster.

I've posted the plane everywhere i thought people would like it, in hopes of ParkZone noticing the attention. I'll be sending this HD video to ParkZone directly though. I doubt I'll get anything for it if they produce one, but thats ok just as long as they do produce one

HD vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3rCneAZSHM

Nick
Old 06-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Wheelnut

Yeh, it would be like the old Ford and the windshield wiper story
Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 PM
diabolic-mind

alright i think its time you get some plans for that bird on here along with what electronics your using in it. that is just awsome. it deffinately sounds better, and seems way faster than it was in the last 2 videos. im not an expert on the strykers but if i had to guess, i would say that your micro is faster than the larger ones. it was freakin smoking on those flybys. if you have the time to post some plans id love to try building one, its  true work of art!
Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Wheelnut

Yeh, it would be alot easier for one of the big guys to steal it that way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.