RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/)
-   -   Air Hogs Aero Ace! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-indoor-micro-rc-flight-182/3368184-air-hogs-aero-ace.html)

jonny didmo 08-19-2006 05:45 PM

RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

ORIGINAL: vermontflyer

Hello all,

I have been folowing this thread for a while now and have decided to get the ace as my first plane. The problem is there are none to be found in my area (Burlington Vermont). I Se that people have had some probelms with the occasional "dud" and wree able to retrun them. If I buy on lne I would end up paying more in shipping than if I spent more and got a different plane. Any suggestions as to possible other planes that are as user fiendly and easy to fly? The ideal would be that they are about the sam e cost (under $50).
You definitely need an Aero Ace, Vermonter. Money doesn't have much to do with it, spending more isn't going to get you something better unless you spend 10x, then, well I doubt even that. I happen to know that there were several Aero Ace jets Thursday night at the Claremont NH mega Wal-Mart. I say start off with a biplane but don't pass up a jet if you see one. I snagged the last aero ace biplane from the W. Lebanon NH K-Mart yesterday, sorry. I bought a few from the W. Lebanon Wal Mart and they are overdue for a restocking, that was months ago. Weren't any there yesterday. C'mon duder I've driven to Burlington for a burrito! If you do find a cache of Aero Aces, better not let me know I'll walk a mile for an aa ;) good luck!

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 08-19-2006 05:56 PM

I have a source of amusing flight videos for you. WWW.alexisparkinn.com/aviation. Happy Flying, Tim

jonny didmo 08-19-2006 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

If the weight is attached to the upper wing, on CG, how does it cause a pendulum effect? Assuming no aero problems.
Fernale, I have a thought on this. I see this hypothetical above as an inverted pendulum. A pendulum would be weight hung below the wing. But in the analogy of an inverted pendulum, I'm not meaning a back-and-forth motion but rather just a weight below, suspended from a point above, and the result of that. In the case of weight below the wing, you have a force tending to stabilize, whereas with weight above the wing you have a force tending toward less stability.

I do think that weight can be placed above a wing and still have a good flyer. I think it's an easier battle with more stability when you hang it from below.
John

jonny didmo 08-19-2006 08:17 PM

This is good place to put aa vids if you got some. I've been meaning to put some up

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

flyboy138 08-19-2006 09:38 PM

Hey smooth puddin I just bought the aero ace jet about a week ago I have about 35 flights on mine. I get the same thing the birds fly over and check mine out to about every time I fly with a little throttle managment these thing fly great. Best fun I have had for $29.95

ORIGINAL: Smooth_Puddin

Just bought me an aero ace the other day and love it. Thing climbs like no other and flys straight as an arrow. I have something that has happens to it on a daily basis when I get it around 100 or so feet in the air. Birds! Today it happend again, I was flying it up around 100 feet and all these birds started flying around it coming out of trees. There was around 20 birds flying in circles with it and one by one they would go after the plane trying to take it out. Really cool to see, my g/f and neighbors couldnt believe there eyes. Has anything like this ever happened to any of you guys? Tommorow or sometime soon I'm gonna have my g/f tape it and show you guys what im talking about. Pretty cool!

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 08-19-2006 10:20 PM

I have a question about the jetstream and it's affects. In the spring I regularly took the AA up to 200 feet, at least I think it was that high, it looked like a cruciform speck about 1/4 inch long. For the last couple of monthes I couldn't get an AA much more than 60-70 feet high. Tonight I got one into the 100+ altitude. I think this has to do with the jet stream and its overall effect on the winds at different altitudes. Also, when the "heat wave" moved across the country I couldn't get an AA above 40', but I got some awesome aerobatics in the wind. That was when I started putting tails on the planes. Does anyone have a thought or theory? If my assumption is correct, I have 80-90 days of awesome flying coming up. Then it will rain. A lot. Tim

monstermaker13 08-19-2006 10:36 PM

if you want to get youre aa bipe as light as possible , open it up . remove the two sides of the fusalage and trim of all the access foam .remove any foam that doesnt cover the electronics. you can fly it at the first throttle setting. lost mine do to 100+ degree weather. :D outdoor flying season is almost over for aa's. getting too windy due to fall. better start asking the schools if i can use the gyms :) almost have enough for the aa hydro or a walkera ciber bird. witch to buy?[:@] {sorry about all the typing, havnt been able to get on due to moving}

Neurotex 08-19-2006 10:41 PM

Jet streams start at about 35,000 feet but I know what you're saying.
What's happening is that natural air currents are blowing over hills,
trees, buildings and everything else on land. The higher you go, the less
objects in the way, so the wind is stronger.
I'll look out the window, see it's calm and then drive to a field around
the block. When I get there sometimes it's too windy because the
freeway is next to it and that's a quarter mile of open space.
The other field two miles down, surrounded by trees and buildings is
calm- until you get up about 60 feet, then the wind blows it and I'm chasing.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 08-19-2006 11:21 PM

If not the jet stream, then what? My weather machines are also useless, unable to predict the weather, in the summer monthes. I guess reasonable weather predictions during the rain season is OK. But I still contend that the movement of the jet stream changes the flight conditions down to the AA's. What I am trying to say is that the seasons cause different conditions, both on land and in the air. It appears that the jet stream is a major player in YOUR local weather. The "massive heat wave" that hit the east coast was driven by the jet stream. That was when I was flying against odd winds and getting amazing aerobatic results. Now the trend seems to be changing. More altitude, less aerobatics. If only the sun would quit messing around with our planets well being.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 08-19-2006 11:43 PM

Microbuilder, neurotex, I'm going to start cutting down a titan. Does the 1sq inch per gram still apply? This thing is power by 4 ducted fan motors.

Neurotex 08-20-2006 07:54 AM

It seems to me that weather comes in cycles. The earth warming and
cooling as it revolves around the sun causes air to rise and fall creating
wind pockets. Spring, & now Fall, it's going to be windy. The jet stream
no doubt has an effect on the weather down below.
[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream]jet stream[/link]
I haven't noticed any difference though, in the way hot or cold weather
effects my planes during flight. But then my planes aren't foam. I have
noticed that when it's really humid it effects the tissue on my wings and
effects the balsa to the point where it may warp.

Neurotex 08-20-2006 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Microbuilder, neurotex, I'm going to start cutting down a titan. Does the 1sq inch per gram still apply? This thing is power by 4 ducted fan motors.
I try to keep it at 1.5" to 2 sq inch per gram or more because I like to cut throttle
and let the plane soar a bit. Less wing area will need more up elevator or less nose
weight.
Below 1" per 1gm you might need full throttle just to keep the plane flying level.
Like the Spruce Goose- which I don't call flying.

novielo 08-20-2006 08:20 AM

ferndale, what's your titan plane??

neurotex, the plane i've sent a picture yesterday is a heavy 60 grams. that's with everything, like it is in the picture with all the plastic that has to be remove. it got 88 square inch (23" ws - 1" fuse) x 4" chord. still not that bad it makes .68 gram/sq inch... and it could still be lighter.

it was gliding well, when i was just throwing it, but as i said when powered it whent sideways did not realy climb. i changed the wing attack angle by shimming it at the leading edge. it changed the gliding pattern, so i will reposition the wing to have a glide. then i will retry it powered... but that won't be today ... it's raining[:@]

Tommyr 08-20-2006 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Neurotex

The earth warming and cooling as it revolves around the sun causes air to rise and fall creating
wind pockets. Spring, & now Fall, it's going to be windy. The jet stream
no doubt has an effect on the weather down below.
[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream]jet stream[/link]

The jet stream moves and brings us the colder air from Canada or warm air from the far south for those of us in the U.S. It's what moves the weather across the globe. It brings along with it the highs and lows, the sunny or cloudy/stormy weather.

Watch the weather channel and see what I mean!

Neurotex 08-20-2006 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: novielo

neurotex, the plane i've sent a picture yesterday is a heavy 60 grams. that's with everything, like it is in the picture with all the plastic that has to be remove. it got 88 square inch (23" ws - 1" fuse) x 4" chord. still not that bad it makes .68 gram/sq inch... and it could still be lighter.

it was gliding well, when i was just throwing it, but as i said when powered it whent sideways did not realy climb. i changed the wing attack angle by shimming it at the leading edge. it changed the gliding pattern, so i will reposition the wing to have a glide. then i will retry it powered... but that won't be today ... it's raining[:@]
That is heavy but if it glides it should fly. To get it to climb you'll have
to lose some more weight or give it some up elevator.
To get it to fly straight you'll have to adjust the motors a little left or right
or adjust the rudder.

Did you get a chance to put those Defender motors in to jet yet?

Neurotex 08-20-2006 01:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
F22 Raptor I finished up this morning ready for some glider tests.
As it is now it's 9 grams. This foam is heavier than I thought which
means I might have to scrap the idea of building an RX box fot it.
Wingspan is 9".
Length is 13.5". About 2" longer than the stock AA jet.
Needs paint! Which means add another gram.

novielo 08-20-2006 03:28 PM

neurotex, your plane looks very good!!! does it have airfoil or the wings are stright?

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 08-20-2006 06:10 PM

Novielo, the titan is a 4 engine 48" wingspan that spinmaster sold. They are telling me they no longer sell them. With the batteries it weighs 690 grams.

Neurotex 08-20-2006 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It has an airfoil built in from the LE to the tail made from a curved
piece of hard balsa. The fuselage was cut half deep and then split
to receive the balsa strip. This also gave it some dihedral, something
the original F22 doesn't have.
Glides nice after giving the tail a lift. Found the CG about 7.5" from
the nose.

novielo 08-20-2006 06:56 PM

ferndale, do you have a pic of this plane?? sounds pretty cool.

novielo 08-20-2006 07:00 PM

neurotex, that look very good!!

do you deihadral by cutting one wing after the other, or by simply slit the wing piece in the slot in the fuse?
i tried to make dihedral wings ,with a wing that has an airfoil and with 2 mm depron i found it very hard, had to score each 5mm to have the airfoil up to the wing tip.

Neurotex 08-20-2006 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: novielo

do you deihadral by cutting one wing after the other, or by simply slit the wing piece in the slot in the fuse?
i tried to make dihedral wings ,with a wing that has an airfoil and with 2 mm depron i found it very hard, had to score each 5mm to have the airfoil up to the wing tip.
I cut the whole wing and fuselage in one piece, then on the bottom I cutted into
it half deep down the middle. Now I could pry it open to insert the balsa brace.

I have no idea what kind of foam it is but it's easily bendable and has a rubbery
quality to it. Bending it with the stick gave it alot of strength.
It's 4mm thick but I sanded down the edges and rounded the LE.
The tail pieces are made from foam plates 1.5mm thick. They had a curl to them
so I used an iron to straighten them out. I imagine you could use an iron to curve
the foam too.

novielo 08-20-2006 08:13 PM

neurotex, i don't understand what you mean with your balsa brace on the bottom, do you have a pic?

do you use the balsa brace only for streigh and then sand it to an airfoil shape?

Neurotex 08-20-2006 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the bottom slice the foam for the balsa strip. Don't cut the plane
in half. Just cut only half way deep into the foam.
The balse strip has an airfoil shape on top and was sanded into a wedge.
This allows it to be jammed into the foam to produce an airfoil as
well as dihedral. Hot glue holds the foam onto the balsa airfoil.
If you're quick you can glue the whole balsa into place at once.

FERNDALE AIR FORCE 08-20-2006 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm going to do this in two posts. Four pic's seem to be to much for the forum.

Novielo, here are pic's of the titan. At the truly titanic weight of 690 grams, it has barely flown once. It uses a standard 9.6v NiCad. I have never had any luck with NiCads and will try to find another power source, NiMH comes to mind, perhaps LiPO. I have not done the math yet, but I'll bet it exceeds the 1g/1sq" rule. The one time I got it to fly it was a pig. So my goal is to lighten it up and perhaps make it smaller overall. The wings are straight and flat, giving no inherent lift. I might work on that as well. But first I need to get the nominal CG, and work from there. If any of you have one of these, don't bother contacting spinmaster. They have absolved themselves of any responsibility for selling a poor plane. I've been talking to them for weeks about the plane and at the end of the day, They are going to send me a battery. I can't get the batteries to charge correctly, but that was beside the point. Also, the guy I was e-mailing was not a flyer or a reader of these forums and tried to tell me how to fly AA's. That's when I knew I was done. Anyway here are the before pic's of the Titan.