Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Anyone have an electric Focus 2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:26 PM
jayjayneri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have an electric Focus 2?

Has anyone converted a Focus 2 to electric? I need pics and tips if possible. A friend has an old Focus 2 and has asked me to convert it to electric. I have absolutely no experience with this so it will be sort of an experiment for us. Don't know yet what motor we will be using but for sure it will be something not to expensive. WE are looking at the new Dualskys or maybe the Axi F3A or the Scorpion F3A. Any advice would also be appreciated. I especially need ideas on how to mount the motor in a Focus 2. Do I have to make a mount or are there mounts for sale that would bolt to the firewall? Help.....
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
lsjpeng

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone have an electric Focus 2?

Here are some pics of mine two years ago. The plane was quite heavey even in nitro standard. I removed the dummy pilot, replaced the wing tube and landing gear by carbon fiber products, trimed out lots of unnecessary enforcement. With Himax 6332-230 and TrueRC LiPo, mini servos and 710mAh LiPo and regulator for Rx. take-off weight was ~5100 grams. Today, you may use Himax 6330-200, carbon fiber prop to save more weight, then you may have chance to close in 5kg.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wu59969.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1508722   Click image for larger version

Name:	kh17795.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	1508723   Click image for larger version

Name:	ni24142.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1508724  
Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 PM
jayjayneri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics Luke. I am not too concerned about the weight since this will be mainly a practice plane. What is important is that there will be enough power to do the P and F schedules. How did you attach the wooden box extension for the motor mount? Did you glass is on the inside or something? From the pic, it just looks to be glued to the existing box. Did you have enough power with your setup? Thanks.

Jayjay
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 AM
lsjpeng

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jayjayneri

Thanks for the pics Luke. I am not too concerned about the weight since this will be mainly a practice plane. What is important is that there will be enough power to do the P and F schedules. How did you attach the wooden box extension for the motor mount? Did you glass is on the inside or something? From the pic, it just looks to be glued to the existing box. Did you have enough power with your setup? Thanks.

Jayjay
Power is not an issue.
Extension box was enforced inside by 1/16 plywood. Electric has no vibration problem, that's enough. Mine has more than 760 flights, no issue.
Focus II was an early 2000 design, the rudder authority was not so good. You may have trouble to do the roll integrate loop maneuver. I won't recommand it for practising P-11 or F-11.... just my opinion.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:26 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Jayjay,
   Merle Hyde makes some mounts depending on the motor you decide to go with.