Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Which Battery Charger to buy

Hi Chris,

Not exactly, with the 820 you can charge a 5s on each port at up to 20A (4C) if you can supply the power to it. So you would not have to parallel packs, but then you would be restricted to a single pack per charger (which we are now anyway). With parallel you could do a 2C charge on each 5s paralleled pack, but again you need to get it 800W (400W per side) at 24V.

Supposedly (I have not yet tried) you can wire the output of two Iota DLS power supplies in series to give you 24V. When I get my 820 I will probably give it a go, and pray I dont let the magic smoke out of my two DSL-55's lol.
    Chad Northeast

www.f3acanada.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: can773

Hi Chris,

Not exactly, with the 820 you can charge a 5s on each port at up to 20A (4C) if you can supply the power to it. So you would not have to parallel packs, but then you would be restricted to a single pack per charger (which we are now anyway). With parallel you could do a 2C charge on each 5s paralleled pack, but again you need to get it 800W (400W per side) at 24V.

Supposedly (I have not yet tried) you can wire the output of two Iota DLS power supplies in series to give you 24V. When I get my 820 I will probably give it a go, and pray I dont let the magic smoke out of my two DSL-55's lol.
    Yes, that's what I meant but you are right, you are not parallel changing them on one output channel, but using one per side. One 5S per side on the TP820CD so you can't charge 2- 5S packs hard wired together.

I spoke with a tech at Iota a while back and he said that you can run them in series to get 24V.
    F3A Unlimited

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Chris,

You could do two 5S in parallel on each port to get 2 packs going at the same time, that should be a nice plus

Have you tried to wire the two Iota in series yet? I don't want to be the first lol.

Chad Northeast

www.f3acanada.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All,

Anyone have any experience with the Thunder Power 820CD charger (good or bad)

I started this thread a while back and I am finally in a postion to purchase - are there any other new products worth considering?

Thx

Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PeterP

Hi All,

Anyone have any experience with the Thunder Power 820CD charger (good or bad)

I started this thread a while back and I am finally in a postion to purchase - are there any other new products worth considering?

Thx

Peter
    New for this year is the Cellpro 10XP which is capable of output of 600 watts and can handle input voltage up to 32 volts, and can handle pretty much all chemistries and is custom programmable with the USB link.

I have 2 of them using a single Meanwell 1000-watt (24volt-43A) power supply to run them simultaneously. I can charge 2 pairs of 5S 5000mAh at 2C with recharge times of approximately 40 minutes for approx 3000mAh. It could be faster with a bit more amperage in the PS, but plenty fast for me already and nothing gets hot.
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a pair of iCharger 1010B+ and had an original 1010B that I gave to a friend when I purchased the second 1010B+. My luck with them has been great as I use them for everything from my RC packs to my lawn tractor battery. You might consider a 3010 if higher rate charging was needed. There are a lot of guys I know who use the CellPro chargers from F3a Unlimited and love them as well, they almost replaced my iChargers but it was less money for me to buy one iCharger than to go through selling my two and learning the menus for a new charger.....just lazy I guess.
    Team YS, Team Airtronics
    Pattern Junkie, Revver Brother #82, Gear Head

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    Before you get seduced by the high charge rate numbers you need to bare in mind that the higher the charge rate the faster you destroy your battery capacity. Battery manufacturers would all love us to charge at 2C or above because our batteries would only last a fraction of the cycles they would at 1C. The Battery is one very big investment and you need to balance out convience with getting the best life out of them.
    I always charge at less than 0.9C but I take four or five packs out with me at one time and only field charge if I am away from home.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm, I've been charging at least 2C for several years and haven't noticed this. Charged 3C last year without any problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had one TP G6 pack last year that I practiced with for the WC. Since I was only using one pack, I was charging at 4C all the time. Must have had between 100-150 cycles on that pack, and it never missed a beat. Too bad my velcro wore out and I ejected it at the Eli field in Champaign or maybe it would still be going!

I have also used the F3A Unlimited packs and charged them at 2C without any noticeable decrease in performance.

I am sure some packs don't like the high charge rates, but my experience is at least the TP's and F3AU packs don't seem to mind it. For me the TP 820 or 1430 and a big power supply charging as fast as you can is the only way to go anymore!
    Chad Northeast

www.f3acanada.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    If people are happy to charge at greater than 1C that is up to them. The advice i was given many moons ago was to treat your packs with kid gloves to get the maximum out of them. If more modern battery construction is more tolerant of higher charge rates then that means by being even kinder to my packs i will get even longer out of them, and with a 10S 5000Mah pack costing in the region of £160 quid, I would like to get every d**n penny of my investment back.

However I am very interested if people are finding that higher charge rates are not unduelly damaging packs on the odd occasion I can get out on short notice.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you think about it, its less expensive to buy the least # of pks, and charge faster. I only use 2 sets of the f3a unlimited and can fly constantly charging @ 3C. I'd think your batts would be deteriorating more over time than charge rate, but to each his own.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    Maybe so, I have had my Hyperion G3 for three seasons and are still going strong I am happy to say.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No problem with E-Flite 30C packs charging as fast as my chargers will do them. Mostly 2 to 3 C. I haven't seen any issues.
    TonyF - Team Horizon, Team BJ Craft, Team Contra Drive, Neu Motors
    2010,2009 US Masters Champion,2011 Masters Also-Ran

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The new Thunder Power series of Lipo Batteries are way ahead of the other chemistries. They can be taken to faster charge rates and deeper cycles than the other chemistries can be pushed. So it is not the same discussion when we are referring to them. They are a new formulation of Nano stuff that sets them apart.
    John

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have there been any new developments with battery chargers. What is the current charger of choice within the F3A ranks?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PeterP

Have there been any new developments with battery chargers. What is the current charger of choice within the F3A ranks?

TP820CD gets my vote. Runs nice and cool unlike the Cellpro 10S/XP.

Regards,
    Jason.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been using a pair of Hyperion EOS610i DUOs for a few years now. Mine are the original DUOs and if I ever needed a new charger I would buy the Hyperion EOS720i SuperDUO

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos-0...de-p-6044.html

At 500 watts per channel (on 24 volt power) it can charge a 5S pack at 20 amps if you want to. I typically charge all my lipos at 1C. Typically takes 45 minutes to get a 100% charge and it treats the packs nicely. My packs tend to give me a long service life as well. Go figure. These chargers also charge in what they call "Synch" mode, which means it charges two packs and balances them together as if they were a single 10S pack for instance. Really nice when running packs in series.
    Team Futaba - RClipos.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12