Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Hobby king lipoly batteries

Old 11-28-2010, 01:37 PM
awat65
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobby king lipoly batteries

I have been looking at the Rhino, flightmax and zippy batteries sold by hobby king. Does anybody know what are the actual weights of the batteries. When you first look at the batteries, the weights are higher but when you click on the battery it gives a lower weight. which one is correct?.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:01 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hobby king lipoly batteries

My pair Rhino 4900 weights 1246gr
Old 11-28-2010, 02:28 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the higher weight is the shipping weight.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:18 PM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

apereira

I would caution you about Hobby King Rhino 4900's.
I ordered and received 9 of the 4900's for entry into electric. Because I wanted all the equipment for my Visa here prior to receiving the aircraft 30 days lapsed after I RECEIVED the batteries before I was able to fly them. On the first full power flight one of the packs lost a cell [went to 1.1 volts] I immediately e-mailed Hobby King customer service and was basically told "Tuff-S___" the batteries werer only warranted for 30 days period. I responded back as to the situtation explaining how they were broken -in and out of 45 cells for only one to be bad it was not something I did but was obviously a defective product. I was again told "Tuff-S___" they were out of warranty and I should have checked them prior to the 30 day warranty period expiring! We are talking less than 45 days over the warranty. At the time I sent the first e-mail I told them I wanted to order another 9 packs [four for me and 5 for a friend] if they would warranty the pack which would save them any additional freight charges on getting me the replacement! Did not seem to matter!

At this point I would not oreder anything from Hobby King nor would I recommend them to anyone!

I am probably going to order a couple of Chris Moons packs and see how they compare even though they are twice as exspensive!

Dick

Old 11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
J Lachowski

Found this. Black Friday Sale at Hobbypartz.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000mah-5s1p-185-20c.html
Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: pattratt

apereira

I would caution you about Hobby King Rhino 4900's.
I ordered and received 9 of the 4900's for entry into electric. Because I wanted all the equipment for my Visa here prior to receiving the aircraft 30 days lapsed after I RECEIVED the batteries before I was able to fly them. On the first full power flight one of the packs lost a cell [went to 1.1 volts] I immediately e-mailed Hobby King customer service and was basically told ''Tuff-S___'' the batteries werer only warranted for 30 days period. I responded back as to the situtation explaining how they were broken -in and out of 45 cells for only one to be bad it was not something I did but was obviously a defective product. I was again told ''Tuff-S___'' they were out of warranty and I should have checked them prior to the 30 day warranty period expiring! We are talking less than 45 days over the warranty. At the time I sent the first e-mail I told them I wanted to order another 9 packs [four for me and 5 for a friend] if they would warranty the pack which would save them any additional freight charges on getting me the replacement! Did not seem to matter!

At this point I would not oreder anything from Hobby King nor would I recommend them to anyone!

I am probably going to order a couple of Chris Moons packs and see how they compare even though they are twice as exspensive!

Dick

So why would you expect them to honor their warranty after the stated warranty period has expired?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM
pattratt

"So why would you expect them to honor their warranty after the stated warranty period has expired?

Burtona

Circumstance, customer good will, replace an obvious product manufacturing defect, show company integretity, company good will, and probably 1000 other reasons. The fact you asked the question leads me to believe you are looking for an argument. I am not!

Good Day
Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Hobby King batteries are like 1/4 the price of the name brand. If 3/4 batteries you buy from them are bad, you are still 'breaking even'. Millions of people use them, and we all know that 3/4 of the batteries you get will not be bad, so they are worth it.

They post 2 weights - 1 for shipping (heavier) and 1 for pack weight. The common trend is that the batteries actually weigh a few grams less than posted. Maybe not always the case, but most of the time.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

''So why would you expect them to honor their warranty after the stated warranty period has expired?

Burtona

Circumstance, customer good will, replace an obvious product manufacturing defect, show company integretity, company good will, and probably 1000 other reasons. The fact you asked the question leads me to believe you are looking for an argument. I am not!

Good Day
So...................

Order the next batch of batteries. When the shippment gets here in a week or so contact them and tell them one of that order died.

Tim
Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

''So why would you expect them to honor their warranty after the stated warranty period has expired?

Burtona

Good Day
Nope, not looking for an argument, but I just would expect them to do only what the warranty terms called for. I think you are unfairly bad-mouthing a company that is doing what they say they will do in their warranty.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:04 PM
pattratt

Hey Joe

That used to be true but Chris's 4900's are only twice the price! LOL

I had heard that roughly one in ten Rhino's would be bad from the "get go." That's why I ordered nine packs. I also heard they would make good on the bad ones but it could take several weeks for that to occur. If you do not have a flight ready aircraft there is not a good way to duplicate a 80 amp test discharge to determine if a new battery is good! The battery that failed went thru four 1/2 power/1/2 ampher hour break-in flights and only failed on the first full power/full 80% discharge cycle. I was also told that to insure battery life one should break-in new packs. In my case I had to finish the aircraft and then fly 16 flights before a full power test. All of that takes time a lot of time!

I guess that's the price of buying "CHEAP" which on 9 packs was not a huge percentage but what about the guy who ordered 2 batteries? That's a 50% penalty!

I own a business and if I treated my customers with a "one size fits all" attitude I would not be in business very long!

The purpose of my post was a "Buyer Beware" message based on my experience. I recomend anyone buying these batteries to run them hard soon after receipt to make sure they are free from defect. My Rhino's weighed 1244g wired for 10S with connector. I am hoping to save at least 2 oz. per 10s pack with F3A's 4900's. That and a carbon-fiber prop would put my Visa at 10 lbs. 11 oz.

Thanks for the reply.

Dick
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 PM
pattratt

Hey Tim

Each battery has a warranty tag with a number that is traceable to a specific order.

Dick
Old 11-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Mastertech

Hey Tim

Each battery has a warranty tag with a number that is traceable to a specific order.

Dick
DOH !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Hobbyking actually provided me with RMA for a Turnegy pack in which one cell is slow to accept charge. It was a couple of days after the 30 day warranty period. I did not use the pack though.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:28 PM
patnchris

Not sure why some of you have so many problems with Hobby King. I have placed at least 20 orders with them over the past 2 years. I've purchased motors, ESC's, and numerous other parts from them and always got exactly what I expected or more. As for lipo packs, I've purchased 36 packs of Zippy, Turnigy, and Rhino and have yet to have an issue with any of them. I've had a few that came with cells that were out of balance, but after several cycles balanced perfectly. My oldest packs probably have 150 cycles on them and are, just now, starting to show diminished capacity. Of course, I balance with every charge, use a quality charger, don't over amp them, and don't discharge them past 70%...I've found, for the price, they can't be beat....As far as "CUSTOMER SERVICE"....Since I've never had an issue, I can't say how they do...

Now....To be honest, I have to say that on my 3300ma and 4000ma packs, I don't think I've ever approached discharge rates of 100 amps, even though they say 30C. I have, on several occasions, lit 60 amp ESC's on fire, though....LOL.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
pattratt

Hey patnchris

The other 8 packs are working great and I am very happy to hear yours are still going strong at 150 + cycles. That's good news for all who have purchased them, including me!

My biggest problem is not being able to actually talk to anyone via phone unless you try and call in the middle of the night and their "one size fits all" policies! Other wise I have no complaint. If I ever order from them again it will be with the knowledge that their customer or product support is lacking [IMHO] and the low price is the trade-off. What you get IS pretty much what your going to have! I will say this, I think our Pattern community is way better off WITH them available as a vendor as long as you understand going in what to expect. I do now. A Turnigy 5S 20C at $36.40 or a Zippy Flightmax 5S 20C at $41.21 has to be considered! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...9&LiPoConfig=5

Dick

Old 11-30-2010, 06:09 AM
J Lachowski

F3aUnlimited has a special on lipos

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/specials.html

$159.00 a pair
Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 PM
pattratt

Hey Joe
Yep, I ordered two pair this morning.
Dick
Old 11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
awat65

It is funny how threads will get off topic. All I wanted to know which is the real advertised weight of hobby king batteries and we went from how good this pack is compared to another pack and customer service, not arguing and ordering batteries. LOL
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM
pattratt

Hey awat65

At least on my post #11 I did give you my Rhino weights ready to go! LOL

Dick
Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM
awat65

Much appreciated !!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: awat65

It is funny how threads will get off topic. All I wanted to know which is the real advertised weight of hobby king batteries and we went from how good this pack is compared to another pack and customer service, not arguing and ordering batteries. LOL
Read here and please feel free to add to the list!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9539972
Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Mastertech

My Turnigy 5S 20C as shipped were 656 avg over 6 batteries.

Tim
Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Anybody knows the actual weight of Blue 5s 5000mah sold by Hobbypartz.com?

The claimed weight is 610 grams (http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-5000mah-5s1p-185-20c.html).
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
J Lachowski

I'll let you know sometime soon. I orderd two sets a couple of days ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.