Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Share your transmitter setup

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 AM
insalacosm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Share your transmitter setup

I'm setting up my first 2m electric and was curious how others have their transmitters setup. To date I've been using triple rates on a single switch, but I know there are sophisticated techniques some of you use as well so I'm curious to see if these may work for me. Some basic questions I have are:
1. How are your rates setup?
2. Do you use flight conditions?
3. Switch layout (i.e. where do you like your rate switch, motor kill switch, idle up switch, etc)
4. Do you use idle up/down for braking when switched to idle down?
5. Do you use any switches to turn on mixes?

Thanks for sharing!
Steve
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: Share your transmitter setup

Steve,

I think transmitter setup has a lot to do with the sequence you are flying. In the lower 2 classes, about the only real rate switch you might want to flip is a higher rate rudder for stall turns. In Masters I have a normal flight mode where everything is at a comfortable rate for me. I naturally fly in high rate rudder so I don't flip any switches for stall turns and such. I have a snap condition that I use for snaps and thats all the conditions I have. I do have a couple of idle positions. One for normal flying with a brake on, and then a low idle and a higher idle. I use the higher idle switch only when I enter a spin as it keeps the prop spinning at slow airspeeds. For stall turns I've learned to just keep a couple of clicks of power on to stay off the brake.

My flight conditions are setup on the small switch on the far left face of the TX. Switch A for Futaba. My idle up switch is the larger 3 position switch next to it.

That is all I use. Any mixes I have, stay on regardless of conditions..

Arch
Old 02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
insalacosm

Thanks, Arch! I'll be in Intermediate again this year since last year was a bust, flying Larry's 'old' Gaudius and using the Futaba 8fg (which is amazingly capable for a mid-level transmitter). With the weather the way it is I'm guilty of tinkering with things I really shouldn't be too concerned about, but it's fun I'll probably continue to use triple rates, although I'll probably always fly on the lowest rates, use a motor on/off switch for safety, and a three position idle switch.
Steve
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly on super low rates on everything but rudder. Plane looks graceful (to me) when it rolls slower and pulls bigger. It also causes me to use most/all of my stick travel, so my inputs are very deliberate.

I use high rates on rudder all the time though, with a bit of expo to soften the middle. I am just moving up to intermediate, so I'm interested in not worrying about switches yet. I'm with Arch in using some clicks of throttle in stall turns and just keeping the brake on.

I do use a 'throttle kill', ie a switch that puts the motor at -150%, for the safety of my caller; I've never been comfortable with someone carrying an armed plane.

I do have a (triple) rate switch, obviously it affects mostly aileron and elevator. Can't remember the last time I used it.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 PM
VerneK

I use switches to tweak certain maneuvers, or more acurately, groups of maneuvers. The first thing to do is fly your schedule and adjust your rates so that it's comfortable to you most of the time. Eventually, you'll come across some maneuvers where you'd like different throw rates to make it easier to do the maneuvers and that's where you can take advantage of the radio features. Like Archie, I fly with the rudder at high rate most of the time except for takeoff and snaps. I prefer a lower rate rudder on takeoff so I'm not snaking all over trying to keep it straight. That same switch actually sets a couple of different things. It puts my throttle trim to zero to activate my controller and also activates my timer as soon as I switch it off. That switch is never flipped again throughout the flight. So with that switch flipped on, my timer is running, the brake is off via throttle trim, and my rudder is at a good rate for stall turns. That's where I'm at for 90% of the flight. I also have switch rate settings for snaps and spins. All of this stuff varies from plane to plane so nobody is going to be able to tell you where to set your rates. You'll need to fly it and figure it out. Personally, I don't like taking my hand off of the elevator/aileron stick so I only use switches on the left side of the Tx, but that may not matter to you or someone else. As I said at the beginning, it's all about tweaking maneuvers or groups of maneuvers and you can't do that until you're convinced that a rate change will actually help you improve the maneuver. I'd rather not throw switches because it's distracting and it's very easy to forget to turn the switch back off, especially in competition conditions. Hope this helps.

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: insalacosm

Thanks, Arch! I'll be in Intermediate again this year since last year was a bust, flying Larry's 'old' Gaudius and using the Futaba 8fg (which is amazingly capable for a mid-level transmitter). With the weather the way it is I'm guilty of tinkering with things I really shouldn't be too concerned about, but it's fun I'll probably continue to use triple rates, although I'll probably always fly on the lowest rates, use a motor on/off switch for safety, and a three position idle switch.
Steve
Old 02-27-2011, 04:53 PM
4ptrol

Steve,
I had the Gaudius set up for three conditions. I found the rudder to be very effective. Flying the Advance pattern with it I had normal flight mode with a rudder capable of stall turns with a high percentage of expo. The other two condition were used for for snaps and spins. If you need starting percentatges I can give you a hand.

Larry
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM
insalacosm

Larry - Thanks, we discussed the basic deflections and expo when I picked up the plane so I'll use those as a starting place. The one thing that could be helpful though is the throttle curve. Would you be able to PM that to me, please? The percentages should translate between Futaba and JR. I set the curve to advance quickly, but I didn't do a complex throttle curve so it's just a smooth curve. Also, did you use breaking for landing or down lines?
Thanks
Steve
Old 03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Steve,

Whatever mixes I have stay on all the time - very limited mix for KE and for downlines. I use high rates on elevator only and that is only for landing and spin entries - it is on a switch. I also use a switch to set an airbrake for landing. I also have a switch for killing my motor (electric) which only becomes effective at idle throttle (I only use this when I plug in my batteries and arming plug).

All my conditions are activated by stick movement - I have two conditions - positive snap and negative snap. Full aileron and full elevator activates the condition and it sets rudder/aileron/elevator throws. I fly with very little throw - enough elevator to get me through the sharpest radius that I would need and enough aileron to give me a 1 1/2 rolls in the down line in several hundred feet. I also use a dual rate rudder which is activated with my throttle - full rudder throw at idle to get my through a stall turn - otherwise my rudder throw is enough to get me through a rolling loop. I do have one extra switch to give me more rudder throw to allow for rolling circles and the bottom of the figure M (in F3A) that requires one to roll through the bottom and be at KE at the bottom.

It sounds like I may be flipping a lot of switches but I don't... only 3 switches are flipped in a flight. The first being on the 1st maneuver in F3A, the 2nd being on the spin entry, and the 3rd when I set up for landing.