Hacker A50 12S

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM
pattratt
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hacker A50 12S

Arch or Dave L

I obtained an Osiris and I am powering it with a Hacker A50 12S, CC Ice Lite 100 ESC, with 5S 5000 LI-Po's on a 16x10 APC. Need suggestion on speed control set up I am getting a screeching on startup and braking make noise?? I had 30% brake strength, no delay, immediate brake ramp, medium (59) start power, motor timing 5, PWM rate outrunner. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am going out today killing the brake and setting the timing to zero to see what happens.

Thanks
Dick
Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: Hacker A50 12S

Dick,

I will have to verify tonight what mine is set for on my A15 16S. Not exactly the same, but should be similar. I'm sure Dave will have the answer right off the bat.

Arch
Old 03-17-2011, 08:30 PM
pattratt

Ok Arch.
Thanks
Dick
Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dick I know you like to use the brake, but I have never seen the need for the brake function on any of my planes. I just fly with the lowest possible idle. Even with no brake it is still better than the 2-stroke glow setups I was flying prior to moving to all electric a few years ago. Obviously, there are some maneuvers it might come in handy but for the most part, I see absolutely no need for it. Personally, I try to stick to the KISS principle on my stuff. I don't know how some guys can manage to constantly flip switches throughout a flight. For me it is imformation overload. I only flip switches for spins and landing. Thats it. My guess, reduce the brake strength a little and see what happens. I know Dave L. knows the answer
Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 AM
pattratt

Joe
The brake depends a lot on the aircraft. I few the Osiris yesterday and it has a very high drag nose and requires very little brake. I reduced it to 20% and softened the motor start setting to 39 and everything was great no screech! The 7" c/g Andrew called for is 40% of the wing cord and was to far back for me and required a lot of rudder elevator mix. I moved it to 35% and only had to add rudder aileron in one direction only for a left rudder adverse roll. I also have a lot of down elevator trim at straight and level trim and have no way to get it out as stab and wing are fixed. I am going to try raising the ailerons one turn and see what that does. I also had to increase down elevator throw and reduce down elevator expo to get the "feel" I wanted for inverted flight. I split my other Blue pack so I now have four batteries to work with on the aircraft. I was pulling 76 amps at around 7300 rpm with the APC 16x10. it was very windy yesterday and will need to get a 15x12 for better speed on windy days. today will be winds of 5 to 10 so I will get a better idea how it will trim out.
Dick
Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 AM
wattsup

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dick, you're going to find the Hacker A50 12s is a "battery eater" if you run the APC 16x10 as recommended! I agree with you after many flights and changes to the CG and throws trying to get the right feel, I also realized the need for a 15x12 e prop but have not been able to find one. To the best of my knowledge, APC does not make one. It should be noted, my setup will generate 90+ amps on a fresh battery! It's been a great little plane to fly out of my front yard, but, it will never feel like my 2m planes. Looking forward to more of your findings and comments. BTW, Dave Lockhart and Joe Lachowski has been a great help. Thanks___Everette
Old 03-18-2011, 12:32 PM
houckj

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"></input><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"/>
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
pattratt

Hey Everette
I am not sure how you and Andrew are getting 90 amps. My 5000 Blues are brand new and all I can get is 76 amps at 7350 RPM! These batteries all have IR of 25 for the 5 cell pack and I have four of them and they are all the same? I change the motor timing to 5 degrees and it made no difference. The motor is running well under 100 degrees and the battery pack is temping at around 105 to 110 degree. I did put in a little down thrust in the motor and that corrected the elevator down trim and tail low flight attitude. I had also put in a turn of up aileron in both wings but took that back out. We had 15 knot plus winds again today but it handled them pretty good considering it only weighs 6 lbs. and 14 ounces. The best thing it does are the snaps both positive and negative including the 1&1/2 negative snaps. What ESC, setups and batteries are you using? I like how the aircraft rolls at c/g of 40% but is more stable and less mix at 35%! I really need a no wind day to trim further.
Dick
Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 AM
wattsup

Dick, I also have 4 of the Hobbypartz "Blue" 5000 mah 5s packs that I started running in my 2m plane last fall. They lasted approx 35 flights before becoming unuseable due to losing power as the voltage dropped below 19.250 volts. Note, their last IR's were 3.7-5.0. Needless to say, I was disappointed and now realize I was taken in by their price. Enter the Osiris. I run the same setup you run but use the HobbyKing 4000 mah 5s 25c-45c Nano packs which probably is the reason I am able to turn 90+ amps. My all up weight is 6 1/4 lbs. So, needless to say the vertical performance is outstanding. Motor and battery temps are generally 65-85 degrees F. I "found" my Osiris flys the best all around when I set the CG at 38% and have not had to resort to any mixing. If you experiment with moving the battery pack forward, you will "find" the right place to eliminate the pitch to the belly on knife edge flight. After watching the DVD on this plane, you will realize the most important parts of how to put this plane together properly was left on the "cutting room " floor! It's unbelievable to hear some of these guys talk about "building" a mama san "shake and bake" and call it a build! Most, on their best day are well served to be able to plug the wings in and fly! You are right, the snaps are spectacular and predictable. Realistically, it will never fly like my 2m planes but it makes for a nice change of pace and is never boring and it allows me to stay at home in the evenings and fly out of my front yard on a grass strip that is 200 feet long. Note, I overfly an area of approx 18 acres. It is important to trim this plane in calm air. Hope my imput has helped. Regards, Everette
Old 03-19-2011, 07:50 AM
pattratt

Everett
I could get close to 6.25 lbs by replacing the prop with carbon, using exepensive control linkage, and removing the wheel pants and using alumnium axles but I chose to use everything as it came with the kit and saved my money for outfitting De Ja Vu #2. I did the Osiris for a quick late afternoon flight and no hassel! I am very suspect of the Blues and will never purchase again! I have Rhino's and F3A packs but do not want to split them. In batteries it appears you get what your willing to pay for as far as performance. My Rhinos are great packs but the F3A's are slightly better but more exspensive!
Dick
Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 AM
wattsup

Dick, I admit I did some major surgery to the airframe and accessories for the sake of performance. At 6 1/4 lbs the performance of my Osiris is "magical"! Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Regards, Everette
Old 03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
pattratt

Everett
Put four more flights on it today and moved the c/g a little more forward which seemed to add a little more stability to the flight.
thanks for the help
Dick
Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 AM
slipkid
My Feedback: (4)

Hi All,
I could not help but take notice here, as I have also acquired an Osiris and am powering it exactly the same way as the person who began this thread - A50-12S, CC 100 lite, 16X10 APC E. I am using Nano tech - 45-90C 5S 5000 and was hoping to find what esc settings you guys eventually decided would be good for this motor/esc. I have not flown it yet ( still cold here in Michigan ) , but was hoping for some definitive answers from those in this thread that have actually flown. I see that a post by Pattratt shows a slow start at 39, with a slow 20% brake - did this work? - also, any other settings I should alter from default? - Also, I see folks describing CG as % of chord. One individual says 38% and it appears from my math that the recommended setting for competition is 7", which appears to be about 40% - from reading above, it appears this causes a some non trivial coupling - anyone have a flight tested position for CG they like? - Could you also translate to inches from the leading edge at the root for me?

Thanks

Joe
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
wattsup

Joe, I'm following up with some imput for you. I started with the "recommended" CG of 7 inches from the leading edge. My particular Osiris pitched and rolled like a "wild dog in heat"! I reset the CTG to approx 6 1/2 inches and the plane became very friendly and predictable. As far as esc settings (CastleLink V3.27.0) I used__Airplane,fixed throttle end points, throttle response:low, brake 40%, delay .3 sec, ramp:very slow, soft cutoff, motor start power:low, motor timing:low, direction: forward, outrunner, beeper:enabled. I believe these settings are close or for sure will get you started in the right direction. Anybody else care to share their settings with Joe? BTW, I recently sold the plane to a sport flyer at the field and he loves it! Regards, Everette
Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM
slipkid
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Everette,
Thanks for the great info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I will adjust my parameters tonight, as it looks like it might be good flying weather this weekend for once.
Thanks again!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
pattratt

Hey Everett
I am same nplace on C/G and do have very minor coupling that I have mixed out. if I go furhter forward on CG I can get all Mix out but do not like the roll characteristics as well. As for the brake I amcurrently at 20% and do not like it! If nI goro to 40% I get a terrible screeching sound out of the motor? I will try again to move it up some as I feel at 20% I have no braking! I now have over 50 flights on it and found it makes a great airplane to use to learn a new sequence with. [F-11] We have have had a very windy spring this year and the Osiris makes a great windy weather platform for learning "how" to deal with wind!
Slipkid
You will love flying the Osiris and won't believe how well it does P-11 & F-11.
Dick
Old 04-22-2011, 08:33 AM
kkhlam

Help!!!

I just installed everything and prepared to start up but it didn't work at all.
The prop can't rotates but just oscillate back and fore when i tried to apply throttle!
Tried various setting from default to something as posted here....
it is same hardware set up as per DVD.

Can any body give me some advice ???
Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Apologies if I missed it previously, but what ESC are you running? I get a little of that sometimes but once I advance the throttle a little it goes away.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
kkhlam

thanks for response.
The ESC is CC ICE100 lite. It can't go away but just oscillating terribly
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the timing settings in the ESC. Do you have the Castle Link interface so you can adjust settings on a computer instead of programming with the throttle stick?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:43 AM
kkhlam

I have CClink. It seems that I have already tried low timing. But it didn't work out.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:51 PM
kkhlam

brand new everything. the CC ESC said the motor is locked/jammed!
apparently there is nothing jammed
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

If it is osciliating, you may have a bad wire out of three (between the motor & ESC). It can be bad connection on solder joint on bullet, or bullet connectors etc.

Reset the ESC to factory default. Choose outrunner. Airplane setup. set the timing lowest. no brake. Auto Lipo for the cutoff.

NO PROP on MOTOR.
Take the ESC out and hook up to another brushless outrunner (substitue) to test it. It doesn't have to be same motor. any brushless outrunner will work. just make sure that you use correct voltage for the motor. If the motor works good, you have bad motor on the Osiris.

If the substitute motor does the same thing, your ESC is bad.

My Osiris has 12S & 100Lite 16x10E.
Not sure which class you are flying, but for me flying Intermediate, I don't see the need of Brake at all.

I used onboard BEC, but am planning to add a regulator with small lipo pack as back up.

Let us know what comes out.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:03 AM
kkhlam

thanks for advice....it was actually due to bad soldering on one connector.......