Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Jeti Spin 99 Brake and End Point Settings

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jeti Spin 99 Brake and End Point Settings

Can anyone familiar with this controller please advise whether it is best when using fixed end points to set the "stop" end point a few millisecs above the actual Tx output setting to ensure brake actuation or is the controller smart enough to go to brake for a pulsewidth equal to the set value?

Regards

Malcolm
Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 AM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jeti Spin 99 Brake and End Point Settings

Malcom

I'm not sure about your brake question, but I had poor results on the Spin 99 using fixed end points. As the temparture changed from Spring to Summer or morning to afternoon the controller would drift and sometimes not even arm. This happened to me on two different Spin 99's. I gave up and went to "automatic endpoints".
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM
f3a05

Hello Malcolm,
I've never had any problems with the brake actuating,using the following:
My Spin 99's lowest setting,on "manual set", is 1.0 msec, so, with the Tx throttle trim set at the mid point, I then set the Tx low-throttle travel adjust to be 1.0msec also, as measured by my jeti-box thingy.
Then I put the low-point throttle setting on the Spin99 to "Auto".
As an aside, my Tx full-throttle highest setting is 1.90 msecs, so I put that setting to "manual" on the Spin99, and dial in the same timing on it with the jeti box-and put "auto inc end-point" to "On",in case I ever bend the throttle stick past the top of the gimbal....
Additionally, I use two throttle curves on the Tx, identical except for the lowest start point.
One curve starts at 0, which I use for the brake-on(and which I have as the default arming position).
The other one starts at whatever small number above 0, will just maintain the slowest-possible idle.
I can switch between the two curves at will ,usually having the brake "off", except when wanting to have a slower down line for stuff like the 4-point vertical down, or 1 1/2 rolls down, in F11.
Kind Regards,
Alan.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Viper Driver
My Feedback: (1)

I use the manual endpoint for full throttle and the automatic for low end. I found the low end is quite sensitive, using the automotic gave me the most consistent low end.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Can anyone familiar with this controller please advise whether it is best when using fixed end points to set the ''stop'' end point a few millisecs above the actual Tx output setting to ensure brake actuation or is the controller smart enough to go to brake for a pulsewidth equal to the set value?

Regards

Malcolm
Malcolm, If you want to be able to enable and disable the brake you need to be able to set the low transmitted pulse width to a few microseconds below to a few above the fixed set point in the Jeti Spin. I do this with "Idle Down" which is really a second throttle curve. So set the Spin to 1.00 msec and set the bottom of the two throttle curves to .950 to enable the brake and 1.050 or whatever to give a good low idle. I also set a throttle cut to about .945 which is a good safety feature as the throttle stick is disabled and the motor will not start if you accidentally hit it. Either switch, the Idle down or the throttle cut will arm the ESC at the .950 setting.

My Pletty will not start at idle but all it takes is a slight jog of the throttle stick to start. Once I'm in the air I enable the brake and find the motor won't stop as long as there is some forward airspeed. I also have a YGE and it will start at idle which is really neat as there is no deadband between brake and idle when landing.

Jim O
Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Flew my Advance 30 with the Spin set similarly to Jim's description. It too needs a "jog" to get it spinning which was never the case with the Schulze KA80 but other than this it performed very well.

Perfectly smooth startup with this combination unlike reported by others.

Malcolm
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 AM
talk the torque

ORIGINAL: OhD

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Can anyone familiar with this controller please advise whether it is best when using fixed end points to set the ''stop'' end point a few millisecs above the actual Tx output setting to ensure brake actuation or is the controller smart enough to go to brake for a pulsewidth equal to the set value?

Regards

Malcolm
Malcolm, If you want to be able to enable and disable the brake you need to be able to set the low transmitted pulse width to a few microseconds below to a few above the fixed set point in the Jeti Spin. I do this with ''Idle Down'' which is really a second throttle curve. So set the Spin to 1.00 msec and set the bottom of the two throttle curves to .950 to enable the brake and 1.050 or whatever to give a good low idle. I also set a throttle cut to about .945 which is a good safety feature as the throttle stick is disabled and the motor will not start if you accidentally hit it. Either switch, the Idle down or the throttle cut will arm the ESC at the .950 setting.

My Pletty will not start at idle but all it takes is a slight jog of the throttle stick to start. Once I'm in the air I enable the brake and find the motor won't stop as long as there is some forward airspeed. I also have a YGE and it will start at idle which is really neat as there is no deadband between brake and idle when landing.

Jim O
Sorry for the ignorance. What is a YGE?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Jason Arnold

YGE= Young Generation Electronics http://www.yge.de/

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 AM
talk the torque

Thanks Aussie that helps

I seem to also be having an issue with my brake. Does anyone else have this problem. I have a throttle curve that starts at 0% and then a second throttle curve that starts at 11% for an idle. I can then switch between both so I have brake or no brake. I arm the Spinn 99 on the curve that starts at 0% and the idle always works well and all is good. Now I changed the Spinn 99 to my new plane and have noticed a brake problem. I dont know if this is a new problem or if it was doing it on the previous plane as well. I'm using the manual brake and had the settings as 0.0s for the dead band, then 0% for the initial brake and 40% for the second brake with a time of 1.5s going from initial to end brake. Recently I noticed when hitting the brake the prop wasnt doing anything besides slowing down normally. At home I starting fiddling with the Spin 99 brake settings to a point where I set both to 100% but still no brake. Then while fiddling with the dead band time the brake started work then after decreasing the time again it stopped working. I havnt carried on yet but try again to see what is causing this. Has anyone else had this problem. Is there a time that has to be set for the dead band and second brake time that would cause the brake to stop working. What else could possibly cause this? I'm sure I'm arming it correctly and have never had any problems here. Any help please [:@]
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM
talk the torque

Ok here is something strange. If I plug in the Spin 99 first and then only switch the TX and RX afterwards then the brake works properly [&:] Any idea why this might be happening?