A newcomer to the full-size F3A models

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

A newcomer to the full-size F3A models

Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM
dando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A newcomer to the full-size F3A models

Hello! My name is Nickolay. I'm 18 years old and live in the capital of Bulgaria - Sofia. I like 3D flying, but my true passion is pattern. So far I've taken part in two simpler than F3A pattern classes (National and Sport in Bulgaria) and had some nice wins in them, although there aren't many people flying pattern these days here. I'm currently flying a glow model with 1.20 4-stroke engine, which has small side area and is quite heavy, so it's not very suitable for F3A.
However, I've decided it's time to get into F3A flying with a full-size 2m/2m model. With the huge support of my family and flying fellows, I'm slowly getting a model built. A modeller near me is building a composite F3A model for his son and me. The problem is I suppose it wouldn't be very easy to get it in the 5kg limit.
My main issue is choosing the proper equipment. I think it's best if I could invest in quality servos in the first place. I'm considering either Futaba brushless digital servos or their coreless equivalents, but for me brushless is the right choice. What do you guys think? I'm looking for the most appropriate servos nowadays for all control surfaces. I read that AJ recommends Futaba BLS352 for RUD, 2xFutaba BLS651 for ELE and 2xFutaba BLS551 for AIL, but maybe this is a bit older info. I prefer spending a bit more on servos, but have them in my next F3A model(s).
The other doubt is the motor/ESC/prop combo. Which motor would be most suitable for a very close to 5kg model - a Dualsky, a HiMax, Axi, Scorpion (I think it's out of stock for now), or other? If the Dualsky would be a nice choice, I could buy it from an online shop, relatively close to me. As for the ESC, I'm considering either CC or Dualsky, but am open to recommendations.
For the radio system, I think I'll try FrSky's 2.4GHz module for Futaba, as I have the 9C Super on 72MHz. I consider the 8-channel RX will be up to the task. For powering the RX and servos, maybe the PowerBox's Digi Switch is the best choice with a single Lipo.
As for the batteries, I'm in doubt between Rhino 4900mAh 2x5S1P 20C or Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 2x5S 25~50C. What Lipo would you recommend also for the RX and servos? Something in the 1000mAh range? I'd prefer Hobbyking products, but am open to all suggestions
For charger, maybe one iCharger 3010B is a nice choice, or two 6-8s chargers (also would like advice on this one). In the beginning, I may use truck or larger car batteries on the field for charging, as the money are a problem in my case, and later a generator.
I'm sorry for the long post, but I'd be very thankful if I get responses on the all-around setup on a relatively competetive F3A model
Thanks in advance!
Nickolay
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Mvelez

Default RE: A newcomer to the full-size F3A models

if you already know you'll have weight problems i'd go with a plett motor, wether it is the advance or the 30-9. it is a very light option in both cases.

i'd also go with the new G6 TP 4500 mAh. we are using 4000 mAh zippy lightmax but if you have some cross wind taking the plane out and you need to fly big, you'll abuse them. therefore, you need to be very careful on throttle managment. if you are considering 5000 mAh.  also consider F3A unlimited batts are very good and light

for rx batt a 900 mAh batt will last more than 8 or 10 flights per day. Powerbox is also a good choice... I'd suggest you not to use hobby king batteries for RX. the 900 rx batt is around 20 to 30 usd on thunder power. not worth the risk.

i also use the BLS servos and i can only tell you they are AWESOME... 

good luck on that!

Marcelo

Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 AM
dando

Thank you for the response! The biggest issue in my case is the money. Therefore I'd like to get a bit cheaper motor, as the Plettenberg is about three times more expensive than the Axi/Dualsky/Himax. For this same reason I think the HK batteries will be up to the task for their price.
I'm still open for recommendations on the equipment
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So far after about 30 flights I'm VERY happy with the Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries. I haven't flown any of the big ones yet, but the little ones on my 3D airplanes have been great. I'm ordering a couple sets of the 5S-5000 Nano-Tech packs soon.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nickolay,

You can save a few dollars by running non-brushless servos. They still work great and they are what I'm planning on using on my 2m Vanquish when it arrives for the build/review. These servos are virtually identical in specs, but for less money.

Futaba 9551's ailerons
Futaba 9650's elevators
Futaba 9155 Rudder

They are all still excellent servos, and while I have switched to the brushless setup in my 2m Winds, that does not mean that the stuff that is a couple of years older isn't fully up to the task,

Arch
Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
dando

Doug Cronkhite, rcpattern, thank you for the advices! I guess I'll see which combination fits my budget better and will go with it. Maybe I could even combine brushless and coreless servos, because for a couple of the models the prices were very close here in Europe.
I guess I'll go with the Turnigy nano-techs for batteries .
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
wagen017

Dando, before spending a lot of money on trying to get your model under 5 kg, first check if anyone is actually measuring this at your contests. As far as I know, only at world championships and European championships will this be done. Mostly everybody is very happy that another person takes the interest to compete.

We have a scale at our contests for those that are interested to weigh their plane just to have it at a calibrated scale. We just want everybody who can to compete and enjoy himself.

Volkert
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 AM
dando

ORIGINAL: wagen017

Dando, before spending a lot of money on trying to get your model under 5 kg, first check if anyone is actually measuring this at your contests.

Volkert
If I have to be honest, here in Bulgaria models are never measured and weighed. But maybe on open championships in Europe, people are more strictly following the rules.
We'll see how much will weigh the ready plane and will go from there
Thanks!