Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Dean Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Jeff-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dean Connectors

OK, here's the problem. The turnigy batteries come with some bullet connectors and everything else I have is set up for Dean connectors. So how do you solder 10gage wire to Dean connectors? I've tried a couple of times without sucess. Is there some good way to crimp them together first?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dean Connectors

You need a soldering iron that can put out some heat and maintain temperature....also tin the wire well. I tin the wire and the connector then give the end of the wire a little squeeze with a pair of pliers to make a flat on it. Then its a simple matter of holding the two together and applying heat while feeding in a bit more solder. It sounds so easy doesn't it?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Pete, You are a genius!!

RC P.S. Flew the INTEGRAL!!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Jeff-RCU

Petec,
Yes, sounds easy. I've done some smaller gage wire successfully, but I don't think my soldering iron is up to this larger gage.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Fixed Wing

Tin the 10G wire and let it cool. Use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the center of the end of the tinned wire. Push Dean's tab into the cut slot. Should be a snug fit. Use solder iron to heat and bond. Cover with shrink wrap. Works like a charm.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Jeff-RCU

Thanks FixedWing, I'll try that one. Did I mention I welded my needle nose to the connector?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Fixed Wing

ORIGINAL: Jeff-RCU

Thanks FixedWing, I'll try that one. Did I mention I welded my needle nose to the connector?
LOL, I bet you saw the "sun" when that happened...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Rendegade

I've noticed that Deans connectors were getting a warmer than I'd like hauling 80A out of an 8s pack. I've since upgraded to 5mm EC5 connectors.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

I'll second Pete's recommendation for an iron with a larger tip, a little 25W one like you use on regular electronic soldering just won't cut it. You're heating up a lot of mass.

Scott
Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

A $25 Weller soldering gun from Lowes or HD works fine. One positive thing about Deans is it's almost impossible to short two batteries together which is easy with the Hobby king connectors. I've done it twice now. Yikes that hurts. On the other hand the deans on the charger end is exposed.

I still prefer the Hobby King connectors and they're only a few grams heavier than Deans with much more surface area.

Tim
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Jeff-RCU

I brought the batteries into work and had the controls guy show me how it's done, what solder to use and the resin. He has mulitple sizes of Weller units to choose from. He did it just like Pete said (pre-tin both components and then bring them together). He appears to use the solder to conduct the heat into the part, rather than heating the part and adding solder. Seems like the industry ought to standardize on a connector. Preferably, for guys like me, a connector that you can crimp onto the wire first to make soldering easier!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: petec

You need a soldering iron that can put out some heat and maintain temperature....also tin the wire well. I tin the wire and the connector then give the end of the wire a little squeeze with a pair of pliers to make a flat on it. Then its a simple matter of holding the two together and applying heat while feeding in a bit more solder. It sounds so easy doesn't it?

+1

'xactly!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use a Weller 40 watt for most of my larger soldering jobs. It gets plenty hot enough to do the job. I tin the wire, AND put a small amount of solder on the Deans connector tab as well. The idea about squeezing a flat into the wire is good as is cutting a slot. Either will work.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Gulliver

The best way I have founf to solder large gage wire to a Deans connector is as follows: (there is a simple picture of this somewhere, but I can'f find it so I will try to describe)

Cut off about a 10mm length of 3/16 brass tubing.
At the midpoint cut a slot half way thru the tube.
Slit half the tube lengthwise.

Now spread the slit end and crimp the 10g wire on
Force the other end over the Deans lug

Gently clamp the connecter with wire attached and solder everything together. (Tinning some of the parts may be a good idea, but it works OK without it.)

After the first one, making the little fittings goes fast and is well worth the trouble.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Jeff-RCU

Thanks Gulliver. I'll try that.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main thing is soldering iron with enough heat to quickly melt solder on wire/connector. too small an iron will not do. Also use resin core solder.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Gulliver

The best way I have founf to solder large gage wire to a Deans connector is as follows: (there is a simple picture of this somewhere, but I can'f find it so I will try to describe)

Cut off about a 10mm length of 3/16 brass tubing.
At the midpoint cut a slot half way thru the tube.
Slit half the tube lengthwise.

Now spread the slit end and crimp the 10g wire on
Force the other end over the Deans lug

Gently clamp the connecter with wire attached and solder everything together. (Tinning some of the parts may be a good idea, but it works OK without it.)

After the first one, making the little fittings goes fast and is well worth the trouble.
There was an article on that in a recent Model Aviation. I thought it was a pretty good idea. I still prefer bullets (EC5), primarily because I never felt comfortable soldering a round, braided wire to a flat metal tab. There is more meat and IMO more security plugging a wire into a bullet. I also can solder up bullets really fast, not so much with the Deans.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

Could go a better way by using the Traxxas plugs which are rated at 100 amps. as opposed to the Deans at only 60 amps. Traxxas plugs are much easier to pull apart and solder.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

I found these soldering adapters from Maxx Products to take all the challange of soldering heavy wire to Deans plugs. It's item number 2818 EZ Soldering Coupler for Dean's ultra. Here's a a link: http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-5.html
Dave
Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Lazer
My Feedback: (27)

I fail to see just why so many people want to keep using the Deans Ultra plugs when you have to find other after market items to help make it easier to solder.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:44 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lazer

I fail to see just why so many people want to keep using the Deans Ultra plugs when you have to find other after market items to help make it easier to solder.
It just comes down to personal preference I guess. I like the Deans because of the enclosure of the voltage side contacts and they keying of the positive and negative leads. Also I wonder if the load rating is for sustained or intermittent peak current.

I spent years soldering wire on a daily basis, aftermarket items are not needed just the right tool and technique. I have a Weller soldering station with an 800 degree tip and have no issues. There are cheaper alternatives to what I use like a Tenma station for $35 from MCM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Many of the helicopter guys are now using Anderson Power Poles. Crimp on, no solder, and apparently the connection is better (their arguement, not mine). Here is a review by Model Airplane News:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8ODI8fAU_k[/youtube]

I still use Deans and have don't have a problem with 10 gauge wire or pulling them apart when connected. But that is all due to the iron... a wide tip that gets hot and stays hot... as with most things, the right tool makes all the difference.

Tom M
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM
2Sunny

Short answer already given . . . "right tool" meaning an appropriately rated soldering iron, but long answer and my only reason for posting is to second the Anderson Powerpole conversion. 2nd year going with no problems and way easier than soldering
Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: Lazer

The reason for using the aftermarket items with Deans stuff is because it makes the process better and easier for me. I got lots of ESC and battery packs wired with Deans Ultra plugs and I see no reason to change away from something that works for me to another system that would not be compatuble with what I already have.