Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Show the run way facing north that would be impressive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its almost impossible to get a good panoramic shot of our field. Maybe from the air ?

Facing NW from the pits....E/W runway

Facing NE from the pits...N/S runway
    Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Big Alberta Sky you need GPS when you crash or you won't find it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It was beautiful skys today, alittle hard to see at times. But a good day.

Helios was trimmed nice . Tried your tweek the ailerons trick for pulling to the canopy and it works well.

You goin tomorrow ??
    Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

See who needs a computer radio, with all that mixing ha ha ha.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello, guys!
    Has anyone trimmed the Vanquish using Brian Hebert's method? If so, what incidence settings are you running? How is the Vanquish flying afterwards?
    In addition, has anybody made a new cut in the fuselage for the warm air to exit or enlarge the original? Maybe this would be an option. The other one is blocking some of the intakes if needed.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Nickolay

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cleaned up the battery leads with grommets to keep them from falling down under the battery tray.

Just need some Velcro straps. Can anyone tell me the approx max forward location of the batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

...Can anyone tell me the approx max forward location of the batteries.
    FWIW the aft end of my batteries are more or less between your regulator switch and where you have those wires coming up from below. Hope that helps. Nice airfield you got there!

Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll take that info to the bank !

Thanks for nothing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Painted spinner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What no flying today? Great day to practice we had the whole place to our selves.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Working !

Started painting houses for a couple builders, with a buddy of mine.

Gonna be busy hope I have time to get away.

Was just starting to feel good on the controls, since I went to the tray.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Flyer88

I'll take that info to the bank !

Thanks for nothing
    You are most welcome. There is a contest today and the Vanquish was already loaded in the car last night so my apologies for the brief reply which was not of value to you.

Good luck with your maiden, please let us know how you like the model and your set-up. Please also post your CG for comparison, there are not many flying these who report back.

Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why is it that all of the photos Ive seen have the batts sitting close with the front edge of the the landing gear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Final finished weight with batteries Zippy 10s 5000 20c is 10.8 lbs or 4.898 kg's according to my digital scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dando

Hello, guys!
    Has anyone trimmed the Vanquish using Brian Hebert's method? If so, what incidence settings are you running? How is the Vanquish flying afterwards?
    In addition, has anybody made a new cut in the fuselage for the warm air to exit or enlarge the original? Maybe this would be an option. The other one is blocking some of the intakes if needed.

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Nickolay
    Sorry have not heard of this method before. I use the method from Eflite.
    And the reputable people Ive talked to about baffling the inlet said it was not required. I was told to leave it as it is. Ive never had issues with air intakes on my dozens of electrics Ive owned in the past. I dont know why it would be an issue now.

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why is it that all of the photos Ive seen have the batts sitting close with the front edge of the the landing gear.
    Good question! I had a brief conversation today with another Vanquish owner at a pattern contest whose packs are farther forward than mine. One possibility is difference in batches. Mine is from last year and it has a different rudder/fin configuration than this year's batches. Who knows what other changes were made since last year? And then there is the weights of the materials themselves. Perhaps the woods used changed with supply variations to the factory. At the end of the day, what matters is the resulting CG and wing incidence chosen for one's flying style. Could also be that I prefer the CG a bit further aft than others on the Vanquish. Say, what is your CG and wing incidence settings of choice? Anyway, all the best wishes for your maiden and trim flights.

Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: danamania

Good question! *I had a brief conversation today with another Vanquish owner at a pattern contest whose packs are farther forward than mine. *One possibility is difference in batches. *Mine is from last year and it has a different rudder/fin configuration than this year's batches. *Who knows what other changes were made since last year? *And then there is the weights of the materials themselves. Perhaps the woods used changed with supply variations to the factory. *At the end of the day, what matters is the resulting CG and wing incidence chosen for one's flying style. *Could also be that I prefer the CG a bit further aft than others on the Vanquish. Say, what is your CG and wing incidence settings of choice? *Anyway, all the best wishes for your maiden and trim flights.

Im sorry but I took it as a misrepresentation, specially when you see the differences in setups. I didnt realize that your setup was so far aft compared to others Ive seen.

Im aware that everyones setup is going to vary a bit according to placement and differences in equipment...etc.

Im looking forward to the maiden and will post my experiance if anyone cares to listen.

My posts were not to influence anyone in anyway just to share my build style with others .

Ive learned from others and I hope someone would have picked up something in my build that they may find useful.

It's all good stuff. What could be bad about building planes to fly , share and enjoy.

Happy landings
    Flyer88

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cygnet

What no flying today? Great day to practice we had the whole place to our selves.
    How was the scale event at the field today ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't know didn't go anywhere near the place,to dangerous for a pattern flyer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Size difference between the Helios 90 and the Vanquish

It's interesting to see the evolution of the designs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: danamania

Good question! *I had a brief conversation today with another Vanquish owner at a pattern contest whose packs are farther forward than mine. *One possibility is difference in batches. *Mine is from last year and it has a different rudder/fin configuration than this year's batches. *Who knows what other changes were made since last year? *And then there is the weights of the materials themselves. Perhaps the woods used changed with supply variations to the factory. *At the end of the day, what matters is the resulting CG and wing incidence chosen for one's flying style. *Could also be that I prefer the CG a bit further aft than others on the Vanquish. Say, what is your CG and wing incidence settings of choice? *Anyway, all the best wishes for your maiden and trim flights.

Dana,

I suspect that Jim's set-up is a bit nose heavy. I think he said that he was still trying to determine best position for his battery. His flying weight is only 4600 grams and that weight allows a little more latitude in setup

Your set-up felt ok to me at least for the one flight I took in calm conditions. Doesn't mean a little tweeking might not get a better flying model.

Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with the statements about batches of the kit. I am using a Dualsky 6360-12 which is nearly 2 oz heavier than the Torque motor. My tailwheel is the F3A Unlimited tail wheel assembly which is epoxied in place. Even if I used 10 grams of epoxy, that far back would result in needing more nose weight. My 1700 LiFe rx pack is as far forward as it can be and I still moved my batteries forward to get the CG about 180mm. I plan on pulling the 1700 for a 850 LiFe, saving 1.5 oz and maybe the Falcon v2 prop which would save 2 oz over the APC 20x13E prop, but then the batteries would have to be moved even more forward to compensate. I do not know if the weight issue is caused by the tailwheel installation or the new rudder/fin configuration, but none the less I would be very tail heavy if I had used a lighter weight motor. Any weight savings I can incorporate or change equipment would be up front so I am not happy about the situation. If I have to change the motor for example, I would be forced to use heavier batteries.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22963.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	1775574  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IMHO that doesn't look too bad!

Some of the older e-conversion models (such as Brio) had the main packs almost touching the motor case. In full-composite birds the additional stab weight also requires a significantly farther forward placement of batteries to achieve CG.

I would be very happy with what you have there.
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RC Accessory

I agree with the statements about batches of the kit. I am using a Dualsky 6360-12 which is nearly 2 oz heavier than the Torque motor. My tailwheel is the F3A Unlimited tail wheel assembly which is epoxied in place. Even if I used 10 grams of epoxy, that far back would result in needing more nose weight. My 1700 LiFe rx pack is as far forward as it can be and I still moved my batteries forward to get the CG about 180mm. I plan on pulling the 1700 for a 850 LiFe, saving 1.5 oz and maybe the Falcon v2 prop which would save 2 oz over the APC 20x13E prop, but then the batteries would have to be moved even more forward to compensate. I do not know if the weight issue is caused by the tailwheel installation or the new rudder/fin configuration, but none the less I would be very tail heavy if I had used a lighter weight motor. Any weight savings I can incorporate or change equipment would be up front so I am not happy about the situation. If I have to change the motor for example, I would be forced to use heavier batteries.

Lookin at your picture, I would move the flight pack forward and put the Rx pack behind the flight pack. I can't tell if you have clearance for the flight pack further forward from the picture.

As far as Rx battery goes, knock on wood, I have been using one 730ma 2 cell lipo with a voltage regulator for a good 5 years now. You can even use a dual regulator with a pair of 350ma 2 cell lipos if you wanted

Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast