TampaRCGuy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Joe, that is what I plan to do with the 850 life pack. If I can move the flight packs forward enough, that resolve all the issues and get to the weight limit.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:23 AM
danamania

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmm, a couple of random thoughts.  I didn't like the nose heavy feel with the CG at the forward part of the range I tested (181-186).  Too much up elevator trim for my tastes regardless of wing incidence.  After the first 2 flights last fall the batteries moved back half an inch.  That was when the wing incidence was +0.4 deg.  I have since increased the incidence to 0.5-6 deg (err on the + side) and moved the batteries back another half inch or so to get 186.  That might be a tad too much towards the aft end of the CG range, but not much.  A few experienced guys including Matt above have flow it recently with this CG and were pleased right on up through the Masters sequence.  And mine is about 10 lbs, 14 oz!  I did some weight reduction since but had a minor gear plate repair this weekend (my bad) so we are probably still around the same weight.  With the Himax 210, Falcon 20.5x14.5, and Turnigy 20C packs, I have all the power needed at this weight.  May I suggest that you fly yours to see how you find it as you may find yourself sneaking those backs back a bit (or leaving them there with your lighter parts up front)?  Just a thought, others know better!  Dana
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM
jonlowe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Move your speed controller to the side or on the bottom of the structure, and move your batteries forward some more. You have a lot of room there to move your batteries forward. Actually, they are pretty far aft right now.

Jon
Quote:
ORIGINAL: RC Accessory

I agree with the statements about batches of the kit. I am using a Dualsky 6360-12 which is nearly 2 oz heavier than the Torque motor. My tailwheel is the F3A Unlimited tail wheel assembly which is epoxied in place. Even if I used 10 grams of epoxy, that far back would result in needing more nose weight. My 1700 LiFe rx pack is as far forward as it can be and I still moved my batteries forward to get the CG about 180mm. I plan on pulling the 1700 for a 850 LiFe, saving 1.5 oz and maybe the Falcon v2 prop which would save 2 oz over the APC 20x13E prop, but then the batteries would have to be moved even more forward to compensate. I do not know if the weight issue is caused by the tailwheel installation or the new rudder/fin configuration, but none the less I would be very tail heavy if I had used a lighter weight motor. Any weight savings I can incorporate or change equipment would be up front so I am not happy about the situation. If I have to change the motor for example, I would be forced to use heavier batteries.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 AM
TampaRCGuy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Speed controller is already under the structure. My 850 mah Life batteries are due in next week. With the rain all this week and this weekend I am out of town, I will not be able to maiden the Vanquish to next week anyway.

BTW... the Hyperion 90 size wing bags are a perfect fit for the Vanquish. They are about $33 from www.allerc.com.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Flyer88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Speed controller is already under the structure. My 850 mah Life batteries are due in next week. With the rain all this week and this weekend I am out of town, I will not be able to maiden the Vanquish to next week anyway.

BTW... the Hyperion 90 size wing bags are a perfect fit for the Vanquish. They are about $33 from www.allerc.com.
Just got some bags in the mail Friday.

Ordered from Hobbypak.....nice bags good price.

But thanks anyway.....

http://www.hobby-pak.com/
Old 06-25-2012, 06:45 AM
jonlowe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, I guess that is your receiver pack in front of your motor batteries. I agree with the poster above, move your receiver pack aft and your motor batteries further forward.

One thing we are finding is that Vanquishes like lots of incidence. When Andrew Jesky was here a few weeks ago, he increased the incidence almost to the limits of the adjuster slots on a friends Vanquish, around .8 to 1 degree. Flies lots better with more incidence.

Jon

Quote:

Old 06-25-2012, 10:36 AM
danamania

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jonlowe...When Andrew Jesky was here a few weeks ago, he increased the incidence almost to the limits of the adjuster slots on a friends Vanquish, around .8 to 1 degree. Flies lots better with more incidence.
OMG! I may have to start all over again with those fiddly things?! Soooo, what CG did the new incidence setting(s) like? I guess I can just leave mine as is, or go on tweaking. Thoughts?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM
pvogel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: danamania

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jonlowe...When Andrew Jesky was here a few weeks ago, he increased the incidence almost to the limits of the adjuster slots on a friends Vanquish, around .8 to 1 degree. Flies lots better with more incidence.
OMG! I may have to start all over again with those fiddly things?! Soooo, what CG did the new incidence setting(s) like? I guess I can just leave mine as is, or go on tweaking. Thoughts?

What was the reasoning for the increased incidence?

Peter+
Old 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
jonlowe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fixes tail down attitude, corrects pulling to the canopy on uplines, less up elevator trim required. I had almost gotten there by myself (I have Gator adjusters on the back, and I'd been increasing incidence a turn at a time), then Andrew did it to a friends airplane, confirming what I had found. Not sure where my CG is at the moment, and I've started flying a different design. However the Vanquish is still an excellent airplane.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Flyer88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An interesting little fix (adjustment) for pulling to the canopy ( that Cygnet ) told me about was adding .5 degree of aileron droop (or what ever you need).

My plane would land hot and never settle in on landings and pull to the canopy. Now it lands nice and soft , doesnt pull and it seems a little more dampened in flight .

This is my Helios which is fixed incidence not my Vanquish. But im sure it would apply for a quick adjustment , without toying with the incidence that much.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
TampaRCGuy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jonlowe

Fixes tail down attitude, corrects pulling to the canopy on uplines, less up elevator trim required. I had almost gotten there by myself (I have Gator adjusters on the back, and I'd been increasing incidence a turn at a time), then Andrew did it to a friends airplane, confirming what I had found. Not sure where my CG is at the moment, and I've started flying a different design. However the Vanquish is still an excellent airplane.
Sounds like more downthrust was needed. Another test would a horizontal level flight at 1/2-3/4 power and then pull to idle (off) and see how the plane travels from there.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:49 PM
jonlowe

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, everything else was ok. This is a typical fix from Hebert's triangulation trimming method. The incidence increase was the right thing to do.

Jon
Quote:

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jonlowe

Sounds like more downthrust was needed. Another test would a horizontal level flight at 1/2-3/4 power and then pull to idle (off) and see how the plane travels from there.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
strattac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What prop are you guys using with the torque sliver bullet and where are you getting them?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 AM
jetmech43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

think most are running the 21/14 apc
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 AM
mxcop114

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The APC 20.5-14E works good but I found that the Falcon 21-14 worked better.

Lee
Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 AM
strattac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most of the electric props listed for purchase are Thin Electric Props, Would this be the correct type?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Flyer88

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: strattac

Most of the electric props listed for purchase are Thin Electric Props, Would this be the correct type?

Yes thats the one..............
Old 06-26-2012, 05:30 AM
g_mkoch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: strattac

That's correct

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mxcop114

The APC 20.5-14E works good but I found that the Falcon 21-14 worked better.

Lee
Better yet, the Falcon 20.5 X 14.5

Happy Landings
Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Jetdesign

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is the weight of the silver bullet?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
jetmech43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

575 gr
Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 AM
danamania

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A true light-weight!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Jetdesign

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. Arch pointed out that its also in the first few posts. Has the motor lost weight??
I love this place. The weight is not listed on the supplier's web page, yet here we have pictures of motors on scales. Ya can't beat that with a stick!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
danamania

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What you can't beat for the price, power and reliability is the Himax 210 kv, drop-in fit motor. Forget about anything less than the Himax for overall value.  Less is sometimes, well, just less.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:40 PM
TampaRCGuy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have any #'s off the Himax motor? I would like to know prop used, amp draw and watts produced.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
danamania

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Does anyone have any #'s off the Himax motor? I would like to know prop used, amp draw and watts produced.
Just pulled down the data logs from this weekend's pattern contest. 70A peaks @ 2,500W with power to spare (never applied full throttle during the Sportsman sequence, even with strong winds). This is with the Falcon 20.5x14.5 V2 CF and Ice2 80HV with the current firmware and 25C NanoTech 5000s. There is no lack of power with this set-up on my Vanquish. One would have to spend twice the price to top this motor with one of the premium motors for F3A models. Without getting too specific (because I like Extreme Flight's ARFs), I did purchase and immediately return one motor. Enough said my friends.

Search this Thread