Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1641

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Thanks Matt. On another note, I do find it ironic that in a sport obsessed with whittling weight, especially discarding unneeded parts, that wheel pants are de rigeur, or rarely questioned in the quest to shed weight. Do they really reduce drag enough to warrant any increased weight at all? And why do we sport them? A vestige from scale models or do they truly serve a vital function on Pattern planes? I mean, I got schooled for extra Deans, but nobody suggests shedding pants to save weight, right?
    Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]It's pretty simple. Set your clearance to the spinner and bolt it up. I use wooden spacers supplied with the plane or washers will do. Hyperion make some nice laser cut wooden washer in varied thicknesses. They are handy for doing this.

Thanks 88, I read in a post at the beginning of this thread that there were no holes drillled in the firewall, thats why I was looking for tips on mounting the motor. Upon inspecting the Vanquish I just received I see they have addressed this issue, mine has three hole drilled that appear to line up with the silver bullet.Thanks for your help

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well done pants look kool. But many commercial offerings are too fat and clumsy looking, are made from far too heavy a cloth and tend to weigh too much. And then there's the installation of them that's offten iffy

Some of the best looking pants I've seen house some fine butts....oh, wait a minute, wrong subject! LOL....Mebe I should call them what the Brits call'm, "Spads" . Anyhoo, some of the best are Wist Model's. Low profile and very curvy, sexy looking even. I have a mold of these and cast my own; best way to control their weight and strength
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, but they serve absolutely no practical purpose whatsoever on a pattern plane, at any weight? A vanity only? If so, I'd rather a telemetry part if condoning a bit of frivolous weight. To each his own for sure, pilot preference, if bling then it's just weight to be removed or drag it along LOL!?
    Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Frustated. Just made all my adjustments. Using my level and my Smartool Angle tool, I leveled the fuse like I did when I setup the airplane. The Smartool is giving me different readings depending on where I place it on the fuse. The bubble on the level is centered, so I found the spot where I got a 0 reading on the Smartool. The wings are now at .7 degrees positive. I planned on .6, but making that fine of an adjustment is hard. Then I checked the stab. It was .4 positive! Either I screwed up when I set it up or the set screws loosened. They are 0 now. I bet if I do it all again, the readings will be different.

Changed props to the 20.5x14 APC and moved the rx back back and the flight packs will be forward more. I plan on flying it again tomorrow. I wish these had Gator wing adjusters......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, about the fuse. I used a longish, precision, bubble level to establish the baseline. Picked the side of the fuse I felt best suited to the task and stuck with that positioning. Mark it if necessary so that each time going back was consistent. There are limits to precision as it is not a composite surface,+/- 0.1 deg IMO, good enough for what it is. Then realized that the more I tried, the more it was going to vary. For example, once I got it to 0.5-6 deg with the stock adjusters, I decided to leave it alone, even if it can be "improved upon" in theory. Could be that next time around would come out worse.
    About the stabs. Once I got them zeroed, left them alone. When I went back to increase from 0.4 deg to 0.5, I leveled the fuse with reference to the stabs, not the canopy deck. I reasoned that since I did a good job on the stabs before, finding zero incidence there by leveling the whole fuse was more precise than repeating bubble level dance. Then used the bubble level to check my work, and on to reset the wings. That said, I'm not going back for 0.8 deg any time soon! Hope this helps.
    Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you loctite your stab set screws? I had a nasty surprise at the field the other day when I realized my left stab had loosened and was able to flip back + forth a couple of degrees.

Peter+
    ---
    Team Esprit/JetiUSA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great suggestion. I just did. Maybe they did loosen up. I also rechecked the stabs and they are 0

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good. Once those fussy little set screws are Loctite, suggest refraining from revisiting them if at all possible. They will do the job just fine, but I didn't feel that they would take a lot of wear and tear. Once all is zeroed out and secure, I'd leave them be. The hardware is ok, but not high -end which is as it should be to keep costs reasonable. Good compromises all around. Good luck with your trim flights, it's a fun plane and a little tx trim or mixing is a small sin for such a great bargain! IMO.
    Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't use locktite

Use clear nail polish
    It hold just enough but you can get them loose if needed
    I use nail polish on the whole plane including motor mount screws
    Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Blue locktite is not a problem undoing, red locktite is. I used blue. I only use red on helicopters.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you look at the Caelestia thread....Chad has a great method for installing wheel pants. The pant is supported on both ends of the axle so the pant won't twist. Best idea I've seen so far !
    Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes I know but sometimes blue is too much

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: danamania

Ah, but they serve absolutely no practical purpose whatsoever on a pattern plane, at any weight? A vanity only? If so, I'd rather a telemetry part if condoning a bit of frivolous weight. To each his own for sure, pilot preference, if bling then it's just weight to be removed or drag it along LOL!?
    They can and often do produce a rolling moment when in knife-edge. As we get bigger and bigger fuselage volumes, this force is reduced as fuselage angle of attack is reduced, but it's definitely there. Removing or adding wheel pants CAN change your roll mixing with yaw.
    Doug Cronkhite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: danamania

Congrats! It sounds like you like your new Vanquish. Glad that your maiden flights were successful. Wheel pants are a PITA on grass LOL!

Not if you use 2.5 -2.75 inch wheels ...........our field is grass and larger wheels are a must as well as for running larger props.

My other planes wheel pants are in perfect shape ................. and don't glue your pants to your gear, thats just crazy ! [:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maidened my Vanquish today !!

It sure is more stable than my Helios90, what a difference.

Nose heavy gonna end up with packs back about an inch and receiver battery back to its original location on the wingtube.

Flys nice and slow with long steady uplines. Motor has good power but not snappy like my Helios which is probably a good thing.

Shes a keeper !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

They can and often do produce a rolling moment when in knife-edge. As we get bigger and bigger fuselage volumes, this force is reduced as fuselage angle of attack is reduced, but it's definitely there. Removing or adding wheel pants CAN change your roll mixing with yaw.
    Makes sense Doug, thanks for this pearl. Even with larger wheels for my grass fields, I still prefer to leave the pants off. One less thing to break or fall off the plane.

@Flyer88: congrats on your maiden. Glad you like your new ride. Will be interesting to me to see where you settle on a CG that suits your flying style. Keep us posted please!

Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you! That idea was originated by me. I've discussed it many times before in this and other forums
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@Flyer88: congrats on your maiden. Glad you like your new ride. Will be interesting to me to see where you settle on a CG that suits your flying style. Keep us posted please!

Thanks !

Looking forward to getting to know this plane and hopefully perform my sequence with perfection. But that takes lots of stick time.

Will try to keep my setting posted for other to read. I find it very interesting to compare notes. Thats what these forums are good for...................................

Happy Landings
    Flyer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

3 more flights this morning on the Vanquish. The redid wing and stab incidence was great. The new APC 20.5x14E prop was incredible. Plenty of power now. Verticals are done at 3/4 throttle.
    Still need to work on CG. The last flight I moved the batteries back about 1/4" and I think that was too far. What I liked about it was the inverted flight required just a tad of down elevator pressure but the feel of the plane was off a bit. The Vanquish requires more elevator throw for my feel than what my Sequel did back in the 90's. My pattern planes had about 11 degree's of elevator throw and the Vanquish is about 16. When landing, I am using much more elevator to control the desent rate. It might be that the Vanquish is 11 lbs and the Sequel was 9.75 lbs and a smaller airframe.

So far I am very pleased with the Vanquish.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to hear it all worked out for you today. FWIW, I have 10 deg up elevator and 12 deg down elevator on my low rates. More and more I am pitching to airspeed and powering to altitude (sink/descent rate) with these pattern planes as they are so streamline and can float from one end of the property to the other! I also recently learned to use a few mm of air brake (spoileron) to tame landings and this really helps with my Vanquish (thanks Joe L). Will be interesting to see what CG you settle on, please keep us posted.
    Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just read Brian H Triangular Trimming method a few times. Based on his trimming, I am tail heavy before I moved the battery for the third flight. It won't be to next week where I will fly again but I will move the battery forward more. I think I am getting close.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

(( I also recently learned to use a few mm of air brake (spoileron) to tame landings and this really helps with my Vanquish ))I have never heard of anyone having to use spoilerons to slow a pattern plane down and I believe it's a good way to tip stall your plane ??

Have you ever tried running your prop at an idle. It works like a brake and really slows your landing approach and I believe down lines too.

I have always run an idle on my electrics.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well now you have! Yeah, I learn something new everyday hanging around pattern pilots LOL! Why not try it on your Vanquish and see if landing accuracy improves? The effect is very different from that achieved with the prop at idle (or the effect with ESC braking), and is not so much about slowing the airplane down as dumping a little bit of excess lift. For downlines, I have a 3% bottom throttle to down elevator mix (which is reversed when the air brakes are deployed as I don't want this mix for landings).

P.S. EDF pilots use a little bit of spoileron mix (usually with flaps) to add washout and decrease tip stall risk at high AOA during approach to landing.
    Good Flying! Dana
    4449NSRC AMA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

for those pesky set screws, there is or maybe was a "pink" locktite product for set screws. I haven't seen it for a while so I use the RC 56 glue. Its flexible and has the necessary grip. Number of friends use that with 4-40 screws for canopy, split cowels, anywhere these small threads are used.

Friend has used spoilers on his pattern plane for the last maybe 5 to 6 years. I use it on the Integral I bought from him and it does work and there isn't any tip stall charactoristics that I have seen. Its option "B" for landing. Always good to have options.

wheel pants, sometimes they are a P I T A, but compliment the lines of most pattern planes.

Page 44 of 66 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast