Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:24 AM
danamania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Another way to look at the problem: most of us that are posting have the stabs set to 0 deg incidence anyway. I do not recall anyone posting that they change stab incidence once set to zero. That said, perhaps there is another way to fix the stab without using the adjuster set screws? Is it possible to get the correct incidence on the culprit stab and lock that in with an "L" bracket or two under the stab? Am not near the fuse at the moment so just thinking outside the box a bit. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: danamania

Thanks Matt. On another note, I do find it ironic that in a sport obsessed with whittling weight, especially discarding unneeded parts, that wheel pants are de rigeur, or rarely questioned in the quest to shed weight. Do they really reduce drag enough to warrant any increased weight at all? And why do we sport them? A vestige from scale models or do they truly serve a vital function on Pattern planes? I mean, I got schooled for extra Deans, but nobody suggests shedding pants to save weight, right?
They are worth 10 to 14 mph on my Pitts Special when I raced it at Reno, depending on how closely I closed the tire/wheelpant gap and it had a fairly perfect 90 degree strut/wheelpant intersection.
On models, how light they are and their frontal area and shape probably will make differences on effects of vertical CG and drag reduction. I'll bet when one removes them, there are trim changes to be made.
Aesthetically speaking all of these models are ugly enough, without wheel pants they are hideous.
Chris...

Old 07-26-2012, 07:44 PM
strattac
My Feedback: (9)

Dana, thanks for the suggestion. Locking it down at 0 is probably the best idea. I have a small amount of the stabs sheeting removed already when I removed the stripped adjuster. I think I can set it at 0, then lock it down with a plywood spacer and a 1/4" wheel collar. Then replace the sheeting.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM
dando

Hello,
I've got a question for you. I'm trying to get the Futaba S9650 servos in the elevator halves, but haven't managed to yet. I filed the servo bay in one of the halves about a milimeter each side lenght-wise, but the servo still doesn't fit in there. Should I file out around half a milimeter more each side and get closer to the pre-drilled screw holes, or use another method of inserting the servo? Should I just push it straight in there or I'd have to tilt it to one side so the cable goes in first?
My other thoughts are about the servo horns used on the plane. The ones from Dubro with 3/4" (~19mm) distance from the servo shaft center to the hole are recommended for the ailerons and, I believe, for the elevator. Wouldn't this induce too much throw (more than 20-25 degrees)? Has anyone used a cut S9650 four-sided horn (like one of these)? I'll be using Futaba S9650 servos for the elevator halves and Futaba S9551 servos for the ailerons.
Also, is the double-sided horn in the Dubro package alright to use for the rudder servo horn?
I am aware that Dubro horns are a little sloppy on the Futaba servo splines.
Some servo installation photos would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Nickolay
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

ORIGINAL: dando

Hello,
I've got a question for you. I'm trying to get the Futaba S9650 servos in the elevator halves, but haven't managed to yet. I filed the servo bay in one of the halves about a milimeter each side lenght-wise, but the servo still doesn't fit in there. Should I file out around half a milimeter more each side and get closer to the pre-drilled screw holes, or use another method of inserting the servo? Should I just push it straight in there or I'd have to tilt it to one side so the cable goes in first?
My other thoughts are about the servo horns used on the plane. The ones from Dubro with 3/4'' (~19mm) distance from the servo shaft center to the hole are recommended for the ailerons and, I believe, for the elevator. Wouldn't this induce too much throw (more than 20-25 degrees)? Has anyone used a cut S9650 four-sided horn (like one of these)? I'll be using Futaba S9650 servos for the elevator halves and Futaba S9551 servos for the ailerons.
Also, is the double-sided horn in the Dubro package alright to use for the rudder servo horn?
I am aware that Dubro horns are a little sloppy on the Futaba servo splines.
Some servo installation photos would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Nickolay
I also have the S9650's in the tail. You will have to remove some of the ply mount to where the servo screws would be, maybe 2-2.5mm. Just keep trimming until you can get them in. It took me about an hour for the first one and then about 20 minutes for the second one. Also, if you use the Dubro servo arms, you will have to trim the opening. I elected to use metal servo arms that I already had which are much thinner than the Dubro arms. I have the Dubro arms on all other servo's.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Flyer88

Hitec servos, no slop in this setup.

And no carving up the opening. Perfectly centered fit. Keep in mind you dont use tons of travel so you don't need lots of room,

and you don't require rubber mounts on the servo for electrics...this might help center the servo in the openings.

(( I did get some ball bearing type ends from Hobbycity and will slowly swap everthing over to ball bearings.))

Happy landings

Flyer88

Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM
dando

Hey again! I've got some new information regarding the mounting of Futaba S9650 servos inside the elevator halves. I made some measurmenets:

o the distance between the pre-drilled mounting holes in the elevators is 38,5 mm;
o the distance between the mounting holes on the S9650 is 43 mm;
o the length of the slot right now (I filed around 1,5mm total) is 34 mm;
o the length of the S9650 is 36 mm and of the JR DS3421 - 33mm;

My model was bought from lindinger.at and is probably one of the first batches. The cowl is not removable. The servo, horns, tubes, wing screws and cooling holes are also pre-opened in the covering.
In conclusion I could say that I'd have to open the slot by at least 1,5-2mm more and re-drill two of the four mounting holes (most probably the ones that are opposite to the servo cable) 4,5 mm apart from the old ones.
Could you please check whether my thoughts are correct and give me an advice? It'd also be appreciated to see some other people's experiences with the Vanquish and S9650.

Thank you!
Nickolay
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
sandyspad
My Feedback: (2)

Just a quick note, My wings are .4 stab 0, don't really know about anything else, except that the plane took 1st at Tulsa, 3rd at Pittsburg and 1st at Omaha. Advanced class. I think it is one great plane for the price and quality. And if it can win with me flying it's got to be OK. Oh yeah motor AXI 5330 F3A.

Sandyspad
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
danamania

Congrats on the wins, awesome!

I have a new favorite prop on mine, a PT 20x13. It give a bit more ground clearance, is a bit more efficient and speed a little easier to manage than the 20.5x14.5 had on it before. What prop size is working for you?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

ORIGINAL: sandyspad

Just a quick note, My wings are .4 stab 0, don't really know about anything else, except that the plane took 1st at Tulsa, 3rd at Pittsburg and 1st at Omaha. Advanced class. I think it is one great plane for the price and quality. And if it can win with me flying it's got to be OK. Oh yeah motor AXI 5330 F3A.

Sandyspad

Yes, you were doing really well!! I saw you had AXI 5330 F3A, but thought you were using the Himax. When did you change the motor?
Congratulation on your winning at Omaha!! I will see you at least at the Fort Scott.

Are you Springfield guys going to Hillsdale?

I am going to practice more based on what I saw from you and George's flying at Omaha. I need to win over Jay.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 AM
KenChoo

Hi guys, could you please share where you've mounted your arming plug and rx switch? Pics would be great, if possible.

Thanks!
Ken
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Sandyspad
Congrats on the results, glad you are enjoying the plane, just goes to show everyone that it will fly well regardless what incidence you have, as long as you are comfortable and confident with the plane you will do well.

Lee
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
sandyspad
My Feedback: (2)

Dana, I'm using an APC 20.5X14 on my AXI. I've got a backup with a HiMax 210 running a 20X15, makes it a little fast especially with new battery packs Zippy Compact 10s 5000 packs 25C Castle HV85. I've got a 20X13 I may try and see how much it slows it down. Thanks everyone.

Sandyspad
Old 08-11-2012, 04:42 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yesterday I received a notice that the Vanquish is back in stock. They get out of stock quickly.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 AM
g_mkoch

Dana, I'm using an APC 20.5X14 on my AXI. I've got a backup with a HiMax 210 running a 20X15, makes it a little fast especially with new battery packs Zippy Compact 10s 5000 packs 25C Castle HV85. I've got a 20X13 I may try and see how much it slows it down. Thanks everyone.

Sandyspad
Which motor do you like best. I want to build a sencond vanquish and the Q60 is no longer available, so I'm between the AXI andthe Himax. Also could you post pictures of the AXI install.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:09 AM
swk550

Here are a few pictures of my Himax 6330-210 installation. I am 10#-13oz with a APC 20.5x14 prop, ICE80 ESC and Sky Lipo 4400mah batteries and TruTurn spinner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35922.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1790892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82884.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1790893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87492.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1790894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93388.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1790895  
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 AM
g_mkoch

did the X-mount for the Himax fit in the existing blind nuts
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM
swk550

No. I had to plug the existing holes with a wood dowel and re-drill the holes. No big deal. You can use the buttons and bolt the engine directly. I believe the kit comes with firewall spacers to set the proper length. There is a previous response where someone discusss this mounting option.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 AM
danamania

Yup, mounted the Himax directly through the firewall Pletty 3-hole pattern with the EF supplied spacers. Needed slightly longer bolts than supplied with the Himax, got those at Lowe's. The rest of the hardware came with the motor. Works fine, check the bolts every few flights, easy.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 AM
dando

Hello,
Thank you for the advice! So I wouldn't have to re-drill two of the mouting holes, instead of that just keep trimming as close as possible? Are you using the supplied grommets and eyelets?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Nickolay

ORIGINAL: RC Accessory
I also have the S9650's in the tail. You will have to remove some of the ply mount to where the servo screws would be, maybe 2-2.5mm. Just keep trimming until you can get them in. It took me about an hour for the first one and then about 20 minutes for the second one. Also, if you use the Dubro servo arms, you will have to trim the opening. I elected to use metal servo arms that I already had which are much thinner than the Dubro arms. I have the Dubro arms on all other servo's.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:14 AM
david hancock

Looking for some help/info. Would using 2 5000 Mha 4 cell packs work with the recommended EF motor or do I need to run 5 cell packs in the Vanquish? If I can run 4 cell packs, what performance difference would I be looking at. Just getting into the electric side of pattern and looking for some info. Thanks.

Dave
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 AM
danamania

In general, electric motors are spec'ed for a particular voltage range which we casually refer to as "S." A10S motor would be expected to underperform on 8S unless the mismatch can be overcome with a different prop. If one is going to stick with 8S in the long run (why?), a different motor choice might be considered. When new to large electrics, I always suggest sticking with the recommended set-ups or known equivalents (like the excellent and cost effective Himax 210 kv motor on 10S, for example). Will it be for pattern flying or sport flying?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: david hancock

Looking for some help/info. Would using 2 5000 Mha 4 cell packs work with the recommended EF motor or do I need to run 5 cell packs in the Vanquish? If I can run 4 cell packs, what performance difference would I be looking at. Just getting into the electric side of pattern and looking for some info. Thanks.

Dave
You need to use 5 cell packs, or choose a different motor. With 4 cell packs you will have lower voltage thus needing a higher "kV" motor to achieve the same power. If you go that route, you will get shorter flight times as you will be making power with current instead of voltage.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 AM
david hancock

Thanks for the info guys. 5 cell packs it is.

Dave
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

One of the things to consider in batteries if you are sport flying vs running a pattern sequence is your power on vs power off. Running a pattern sequence, you have many power off moments in 45, 60 and 90 degree downlines. In sport flying, you have the power on a lot more. Many of the more experienced pattern pilots have very good throttle management skills. Depending on the class flown and power management, I have seen a lot of guys drop down to 4200-4500 mah packs (still 10S) because with good throttle management they can get through the sequence. 4200-4500 mah packs also weigh less as well.

Once I was through the major trimming of the Vanquish and started to run some patterns, my flight time increased by 2 minutes. Between only using 3/4 throttle for up lines and and the power off down lines, that is how the extra 2 minutes was achieved.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.