Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

That the size (falcon) I'm using on my Q60 works well..
Old 07-11-2014, 02:35 PM
jadamian75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I read somewhere that someone like the 20.5x12W. That may be a good one to try if the 20.5x14 seems to fast to complete your maneuvers.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Dansy

Originally Posted by jadamian75
I thought I read somewhere that someone like the 20.5x12W. That may be a good one to try if the 20.5x14 seems to fast to complete your maneuvers.
Well I have different Falcon sizes and some PT props. the speed is a very subjective thing and how I fly shouldn't influence anybody to try the same....some fly close some far at different speed...I like far so I tend to fly a little faster.

the thing is to try different sizes and what I don't use on this plane I may use on other planes so it's not lost $$$ just money in the bank so to speak )
Old 07-11-2014, 03:53 PM
jadamian75

I like the look of the Falcon Props especially if it comes with the blue prop covers they have. I'm not as much of a fan of the PT models just because of the yellow they put on it with there name.
I'm surprised that I don't see much mention of Xoar props. I really have liked there big electric props. They also have a electric F3A style wood and electric F3A style carbon props. I may try these once I figure the pitch and diameter using an APC.
http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propeller...ber-Propeller/
http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propeller...ood-Propeller/
Old 07-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Delicious J

I might pick up a 20.5x 12 what about the 21x14?

Flight time is important I want to get 7 minutes easy.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 PM
jadamian75

Originally Posted by Delicious J
looking forward to a maiden this weekend with my 2m vanquish.

Build went smooth, everything looks good. Only complaint is the screws that keep the cowling on. What is that about?? lol There must be some trick. Lets just say, I hope I don't have t take the cowling off anytime soon.

BTW, I am starting with a 20.5x14 on the Himax motor. Hopefully its a good fit.

What other prop should I try if any?
I found this post #1000 from Danamania

ORIGINAL: RC Accessory

Does anyone have any #'s off the Himax motor? I would like to know prop used, amp draw and watts produced.
Just pulled down the data logs from this weekend's pattern contest. 70A peaks @ 2,500W with power to spare (never applied full throttle during the Sportsman sequence, even with strong winds). This is with the Falcon 20.5x14.5 V2 CF and Ice2 80HV with the current firmware and 25C NanoTech 5000s. There is no lack of power with this set-up on my Vanquish. One would have to spend twice the price to top this motor with one of the premium motors for F3A models. Without getting too specific (because I like Extreme Flight's ARFs), I did purchase and immediately return one motor. Enough said my friends.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 PM
jadamian75

Delicious J ,

Here is another post I found that may help

Post 693 pvogel " 20.5x14 should be fine, I like 21x14 but the 1/2" of pitch shouldn't matter.

"
ORIGINAL: lee101

next question , i will be using a himax 210kv motor and bought a 20.5 x 14 prop. is this a good combo? or a bigger prop ?.. sorry this is my first 2x2 planes and i usually fly gasser

thanks!
I have approximately 500 flights on 2 Himax 6330-210's with APC 20.5x14 and Falcon (CF) 20.5x14.5 and you will be happy with either, although the Falcon spools up a bit quicker and seems to have a little more thrust, probably because it is lighter (by 2.07 oz [59gr], as I recall) and a little stiffer. I have not used the newer 40 gram Falcon, however.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:37 AM
jadamian75

I'd would be interested in trying these. http://www.espritmodel.com/xoar-prop...-f3a-pjhe.aspx
To bad the closest sizes to the ones you are looking for that are in stock is 20x14 and 22x14. I have one on a Sebart WindS 110e that looks nice.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the look of the Falcon Props especially if it comes with the blue prop covers they have. I'm not as much of a fan of the PT models just because of the yellow they put on it with there name.
I'm surprised that I don't see much mention of Xoar props. I really have liked there big electric props. They also have a electric F3A style wood and electric F3A style carbon props. I may try these once I figure the pitch and diameter using an APC.
http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propeller...ber-Propeller/
http://www.xoarintl.com/rc-propeller...ood-Propeller/
IIRC, if you buy the Falcon CF props from Mike at F3AUnlimited, he includes the blue prop covers/protectors.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 AM
ltc

I'd would be interested in trying these. http://www.espritmodel.com/xoar-prop...-f3a-pjhe.aspx
To bad the closest sizes to the ones you are looking for that are in stock is 20x14 and 22x14. I have one on a Sebart WindS 110e that looks nice.
This weekend I ordered (from EspritModel) a 20x13 Xoar F3A prop to compare with a PT CF 20x13.
I will be curious to see how these both compare to a Falcon 20x13, using the Mezon 90 ESC to provide electrical measurements.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:02 AM
jadamian75

Originally Posted by ltc
This weekend I ordered (from EspritModel) a 20x13 Xoar F3A prop to compare with a PT CF 20x13.
I will be curious to see how these both compare to a Falcon 20x13, using the Mezon 90 ESC to provide electrical measurements.
Please include, the motor, c rating of your batteries and your altitude. I bought some wood Falcon props for a 74" 3D plane in 20" and 21" sizes along with some Xoars. I like how the Xoars have a gloss like finish vs the Falcon. The other big difference was the Falcon hub was much thicker than the Xoar and I could not get the prop nut on as well as I would have liked to.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:14 PM
jadamian75

Is there a preference over these two.
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/jaccio-perfect-switch-6-0v
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/tech-aer...g-model-plr5-i
My other choice was using a CC BEC pro as a regulator on a 2s lipo but it does not seem like many people are doing that. It may be a little heavier as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 PM
ltc

TechAero is programmable, Jaicco is fixed at time of manufacture
(I just took a Jaicco unit apart to reverse engineer the schematic...just curious.)
The TechAero also has an integrated charge plug with the switch; the Jaicco does not.
They are both "Switch Fail safe" designs.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:20 PM
ltc

The Scorpion BackUpGuard is comparable (in weight) to a 2sLipo and external regulator ... Just another option, especially if you want a backup to a ESC BEC ir redundant battery/switch.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
jadamian75

Thanks for the info. I will have everything ordered tonight.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 AM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Torque silver bullet bearing replacement - Any one know how?

Hello,

After 25 flights I have come to realize that the rear bearing is a little loose. I ordered a replacement set from Extreme Flight but it came without instructions. I am wondering if anyone else has had to replace bearings.

I have been able to take the motor apart, but as it turns out the rear bearing appears to be pressed onto the shaft which also holds the coils. I can probably cobble something out which supports the bearing and allows me to pop the shaft off using a rubber mallet but I am wondering if anyone may have a better idea. Also, once I put the new bearing in, I want to make sure that it is located correctly.

When I order the replacement parts I did ask about instructions but got no reply from Extreme Flight and hence this post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Teo

Last edited by viva_peru; 07-28-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Trikken
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by viva_peru
Hello,

After 25 flights I have come to realize that the rear bearing is a little loose. I ordered a replacement set from Extreme Flight but it came without instructions. I am wondering if anyone else has had to replace bearings.

I have been able to take the motor apart, but as it turns out the rear bearing appears to be pressed onto the shaft which also holds the coils. I can probably cobble something out which supports the bearing and allows me to pop the shaft off using a rubber mallet but I am wondering if anyone may have a better idea. Also, once I put the new bearing in, I want to make sure that it is located correctly.

When I order the replacement parts I did ask about instructions but got no reply from Extreme Flight and hence this post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Teo
Did you ever figure out how to do this? I have a Silver Bullet with enough wobble that I don't think that I should fly it. Should a bearing go out at 25 flights? That seems unlikely to me. I have contacted Extreme but haven't heard back yet on this. Does anyone have any advice that has had or is familiar with this issue on the Silver Bullet Torque motor?

Thanks,
Ken https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpA44e3Q7Rw
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 AM
kobago

Hi ken

I also have the same experience as Ken.
In my case, a cause of the deflection of a main shaft was distortion of a bell.
It is three photos and explains my repair method very briefly.
1) Disassemble a motor and separate a bell.
2) Measure distortion of a bell with an easy measuring instrument.
3) The bell was put on the cylindrical 冶 implement, and distortion was struck and corrected with the hammer etc.

kobago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060027.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	2031280   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060150.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2031281   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060147.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	2031282  
Old 09-12-2014, 04:31 AM
JerMilosek

I used a drill press to remove & install bearings. You might want to try one first before resorting to a mallet.

In my limited experience the bearings are closer to a tight slip fit than one requiring heat/cold and a ton of pressure to install.

J e r
Old 09-12-2014, 04:34 AM
viva_peru

Hello guys,

In my case, I am fairly certain that the issue is the bearing. I do not have a picture with me, but after a few flights I noticed that the inside of the cowl had splatter marks in the shape of the ring. My first thought was that the motor was throwing off grease as it spun. The splatter marks line up with interface shown in Ken's video. After I took the motor apart, I was able to take a look at the rear bearing and the inner race is definitely loose. I compared it against the replacement part sent by extreme flight and the difference is noticeable.

At the rear bearing support, the outer case appears weak as it has holes cut into it and it has a taper. The possibility that it had deformed also crossed my mind. If that is the situation, then I think that the motor is done for.

I am still flying the plane with the motor as it is. The season is almost over and once I am done with the next contest I will take it apart and replace the bearing. If the issue is with the case being deformed, then I will probably buy a different motor. In the mean time, as a precaution, I am using a wooden prop which is quite a bit lighter than the APC prop. This should reduce the gyroscopics loads on the motor bearings.

Teo
Old 09-12-2014, 06:32 AM
Trikken

Thanks guy's. I think that I will check and replace, if necessary, the rear bearing as a starting point in trying to figure this out.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Trikken

Follow up,

So this morning I heard back from Extreme Flight. I asked them about repair services and sent them a link to the video. Their reply was that they don't offer any repair services and that bearings were available from them. I was disappointed that they didn't acknowledge that they were familiar with this issue or any other comments regarding my issue. Just this two line comment:

"We are just not set up for repair services.
We do have the bearings available if needed and they can be ordered direct from our secure website here:..."

and the link to their site. So I ordered the bearings but this will probably be the end of my business dealings with Extreme Flight. I Definitely won't replace the Silver Bullet with another Silver Bullet if they wear out bearings this fast. I suppose I will just chock it up to "you get what you pay for".

Hey Extreme Flight! When it comes to customer service on your motors, your competition does it better. So I'll be going with them from now on, when it comes to motors. I still like your planes!

Ken
Old 09-12-2014, 08:06 AM
ltc

Speaking of Extreme Flight, I read over on RCG that Andrew Jesky has severed his ties with EF and has his own aircraft company now.
Perhaps that means he might be offering his own 2m plane soon?
Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Dansy

Not sure about him and EF but he does have his own web site.....
Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 AM
MTK

The 20.5 prop will consume less amps and should let your battery last longer. May want to consider the Throttle Tech goodie from Tech Aero.

If one wants longer flights, not 30 seconds longer as one E set-up would give you over another, but 10-15 minutes longer, E-power is not capable of giving you that. To get that try my gasoline set-up. I had my Vanquish set-up with the DLE35 rear exhaust. The mods were simple and the power terrific, start to end; very inexpensive overall. My set-ups use 11 oz tanks which last 20 minutes or more depending on throttle use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.