Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:47 AM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Speaking of Extreme Flight, I read over on RCG that Andrew Jesky has severed his ties with EF and has his own aircraft company now.
Perhaps that means he might be offering his own 2m plane soon?
I think you mean 3D Hobby Shop, not EF

Is the problem with the EF motor just poor quality bearings?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Trikken
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by 3dsky
I think you mean 3D Hobby Shop, not EF

Is the problem with the EF motor just poor quality bearings?
I don't know. You would think that with all of the Vanquish setups that have been sold that there would be more about this problem. I have done exhaustive searches and can only find 2 or 3 mentions about this run out issue. I suppose I could go to Boca and see if they have a replacement bearing that would be better. But it seems to me that if it was a bearing problem that there would be multiple posts on the forums about it, and that just isn't the case. So perhaps it isn't the quality of bearings but just an instance of bad luck. Or maybe EF hasn't sold as many of those Silver Bullet motors as I think. I am perplexed by the whole deal so far.
Ken
Old 09-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Trikken
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by ltc
Speaking of Extreme Flight, I read over on RCG that Andrew Jesky has severed his ties with EF and has his own aircraft company now.
From what I understand it was with 3DHS.

The HOT ticket right now is Andrew's new Laser 230z ARF in two sizes. Check them out at:

http://www.aj-aircraft.com/

I have a 73" sitting in the box in my work shop ready to be assembled. There is also a discussion on them here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2085919

And you can contact Andrew about obtaining a Proteus, the aircraft he created and recently swept the US Nationals with.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:11 PM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,

While looking into my bearing issue I came to realize that the torque motor is very similar in construction to the Platenberg Extra 30. The construction of the outer base and the manner in which the rear bearing is supported is very similar. Even the rear bearings looks the same, from the photos of the Platenberg it appears that the outer race is also covered by thin shield. The biggest difference is that the Platenberg uses 3 bearings rather than the 2 that the Silver Bullet. If there is an issue with the motor, that could be a reason.

At any rate, I have also looked around to see if other people have encountered problems with the motor and it does not seem to be case. From what I have seen, about 1/3 of the Vanquishes out there seem to be using the Torque motor. I will replace the bearing and see where it goes from there. In general, I am a little disappointed with EF simply because the replacement bearings came without any installation instructions and I got no response after asking if there were any instructions available.

Live and learn,

Teo
Old 09-12-2014, 07:06 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by viva_peru
Hello,

While looking into my bearing issue I came to realize that the torque motor is very similar in construction to the Platenberg Extra 30. The construction of the outer base and the manner in which the rear bearing is supported is very similar. Even the rear bearings looks the same, from the photos of the Platenberg it appears that the outer race is also covered by thin shield. The biggest difference is that the Platenberg uses 3 bearings rather than the 2 that the Silver Bullet. If there is an issue with the motor, that could be a reason.

At any rate, I have also looked around to see if other people have encountered problems with the motor and it does not seem to be case. From what I have seen, about 1/3 of the Vanquishes out there seem to be using the Torque motor. I will replace the bearing and see where it goes from there. In general, I am a little disappointed with EF simply because the replacement bearings came without any installation instructions and I got no response after asking if there were any instructions available.

Live and learn,

Teo
Sorry to hear about your motor issue, you are one of very few people that seem to have had a problem. There have been thousands of flights on the motor with great results, however as with any motor in mass production there will be a few here and there that may have a defect regardless what brand it is. I personally have hundreds of flights on two of them, one in a 3D airplane swinging a 24" prop with high loads and no issues. I wouldn't give up on it yet, go ahead and replace the bearing and I'm sure you'll have the issue resolved and enjoy many flights. As far as being unhappy because they don't provide instructions on changing bearings, I don't know of any manufacturer that provides instructions on changing their motors bearings. simply search on youtube if you aren't sure how to do it and I'm sure you'll find an instructional video that will assist you. Best of luck with your motor and Vanquish.

Lee Morey
Old 09-12-2014, 07:11 PM
mxcop114
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by ltc
You are mistaken on which company Andrew severed ties with, it was not Extreme Flight, it was 3D Hobby Shop. Andrew has ventured out on his own and started his own ARF company, I highly doubt 3D Hobby Shop will move forward with his 2M pattern ship he had been working on with them.

Lee
Old 09-23-2014, 04:41 AM
viva_peru

Well, I tried to replace the rear bearing yesterday and I was not able to pop it off. It appears to have a heavier press fit than I anticipated or maybe it is loctited in place. I did not try too hard for fear of further damaging the motor. Based on the experience than Trikken had with his (replacing the bearing did not cure the wobble) and I am not sure that the motor is worth the effort. At any rate, I took advantage of the sale which F3a-unlimited had on the Plettenberg and ordered an Xtra 25-12 Evo which appears to be a drop in replacement.

I have not decided what to do with the Silver Bullet. I do not feel comfortable selling it as it has a known issue so it might end up in the trash. Live and learn.

Teo
Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM
pshark101

Originally Posted by viva_peru
Well, I tried to replace the rear bearing yesterday and I was not able to pop it off. It appears to have a heavier press fit than I anticipated or maybe it is loctited in place. I did not try too hard for fear of further damaging the motor. Based on the experience than Trikken had with his (replacing the bearing did not cure the wobble) and I am not sure that the motor is worth the effort. At any rate, I took advantage of the sale which F3a-unlimited had on the Plettenberg and ordered an Xtra 25-12 Evo which appears to be a drop in replacement.

I have not decided what to do with the Silver Bullet. I do not feel comfortable selling it as it has a known issue so it might end up in the trash. Live and learn.

Teo
I bought a used Himax 210 and has a similar problem to yours, but nowhere near as bad. I have new bearings on the way from MPI (Himax), hopefully that will take care of it. I almost bought one of the Pletty 25-12's on sale, I noticed as of last night that there was only one left... maybe the one you got I figured I should just wait to see if the bearings do the trick and if not, then I'll get a Hacker A60-7s.
I'd be willing to buy your Silver Bullet to give it a shot as well, it's worth a try. Maybe out of two motors I can get at least one of them up and running!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:15 PM
viva_peru

Well, I did get a confirmation from F3A unlimited that the order shipped, so I guess I must have been the lucky one. The Plettenberg, based on the drawings, appears to be externally identical to the Silver Bullet, so hopefully it was a good choice. Good luck with your Himax, that was going to be my back up solution.

I do have the replacement bearings for the Silver Bullet, so if I were to sell it, I would include those as well. Let me think about it, I want to get my hands in the Plettenberg first and make sure that it will work. Either way, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Teo
Old 09-23-2014, 04:41 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a thread discussing the 25-12 motor

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...ml#post9271587
Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
pshark101

Sounds good Teo, thanks. From what I've read about the Evo 25-12 (especially the link that ltc just posted), I'm sure you'll love it!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:07 AM
viva_peru

LTC,

Thank you for posting the link to Plettenberg Evo thread. I had read it some time ago and completely forgotten about it. I think that it will be a good replacement for the Silver Bullet. We will see when it arrives. A few weekends ago we did have a competition here in Michigan and one of the guys was flying the Vanquish using the Silver Bullet in the Masters class. The first day was quite windy and I was under the impression that he really leaning on the throttle for both flights. He is a good pilot and knows about throttle management so I walked away with the impression that the plane might need a little more omph, but it got through it OK. I realize that the batteries that one uses also comes into play but it convinved me that the Vanquish is a stepping stone to a better plane once my skills improve. At any rate, I have been flying it in Intermediate and it has served me well. With a little luck, I might make the jump into Advanced for next year, although the new sequence looks more challenging than the current one.

Teo
Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 AM
esulit

I have just purchased and built a Vanquish based on a lot of recommendations from this thread. I also have a 48" Vanquish which got me into pattern in the first place. Inspite of just having received the plane two weeks ago, I have joined our in country NATS last weekend and have been able to get first place with it in the sportsman class. Whats even more amazing is that the person who won the Advanced class won it with a Vanquish he had purchased 2nd hand just a week before. We have almost exactly the same set up except that the except he has Futaba brushless servos and no regulator.

My setup is
Hacker Q60 7M
APC 21X13E
Spinner edge cut out to aid cooling--as recommended here
Castle Pheonix Edge 80HV (pulling 70+ amps max and 2500+ watts)
2 x Zippy Compact 5s 5000 25c
Futaba 9650, 9155, 9551 as recommended by Arch
Flightpower 8amp Linear Voltage Regulator with 850mah Lipo
Incidence set at +0.6deg as recommended here
Rx Futaba 7008SB with Telemetry enabled for pack voltage -- very useful for getting the most flight time with your batts.

I'd like to thank all the contributors in this thread which made my Vanquish build painless. Its a great plane from Extreme Flight. The only issue I had was with programming the esc to run properly with the Q60 motor which was easily resolved with an email to Castle Creations.

After winning our sportsman NATS some of the other fliers were immediately convincing me to upgrade to other pattern planes they say are more capable of flying the P and F sequences. I said "no I just got this, its not even fully trimmed yet"

I did not tinker with the trim to much because I did not have enough time. I trimmed her just enough to fly the sportsman. Now as I move up I would like to seek the help of experts here in trimming the plane. I did some research and through other flyers advice come across the Bryan Herbert Triangulation Method of Trimming. Has anyone been able to trim their Vanquish using this? Just how competitive is the Vanquish in the more advanced sequences?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Old 10-01-2014, 07:10 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is competitive up to masters and in the right hands possibly F3A
Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jetmech43
It is competitive up to masters and in the right hands possibly F3A
#1 not sure about the F but the P is doable.......I also have one with the Q60 an amazing power plant compare to the A60 which I also have.......both running on the Mezon 95
Old 10-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Smooth Pilot

I have had three of the Vanquish models this year and each was trimmed using Hebert trimming technique. Works like a charm. (Yes, the other two were lost in crashes, one in practice the other at a contest.)

Sheldon
Old 12-06-2014, 04:54 PM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

flying with a60 8 and apc 20-13. It is a missile. So way suggestions on what prop to use to slow it down?

Randy
Old 12-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Smooth Pilot

I've only used the 21X13 APC and had little trouble. Make sure you set the brake on the ESC. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

Sheldon

PS. Almost all my flying was done at a ittle over half throttle with more as needed for the vertical maneuvers.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:36 AM
randy10926
My Feedback: (19)

Well I finally adjusted the throttle curve and it made all the difference in the world. I no longer have a 2 click difference between too slow and an X-15. I am currently at 20%, 43%, 70%, 100% at the four points on the DX8.
Randy
Old 12-26-2014, 02:22 PM
pkchapman

On 12/23 I finished reading this thread from page 1 to page 67.
On this thread there are lots of important tips, impressions and concepts that a person new to electric pattern
would find useful.
I received a Vanquish for Christmas. I found reading the complete thread painful in parts but overall
very useful.
I thank the guys that contributed their knowledge and gave me the benefit of their experience.
With the information received from pattern flyers I met this summer and the reinforcement of their
views and experience found here I will know exactly what to do when I start building/assembling
of my plane.
Thanks
Paul.

Last edited by pkchapman; 12-26-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Bad wording.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Smooth Pilot

Never be afraid to ask questions, whether it is one of the other Sportsman flyers or one of the more advanced flyers. I found, at least in District 6, there is no one that will refuse to help. I would like to think that the other district pattern flyers are the same way. 2014 was my first year to compete and I would have been quite lost without the help of the other more experienced flyers. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you did not ask. Have fun and enjoy the experience and practice, practice, practice.

Sheldon

PS. The Vanquish is an exquisite flying machine.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:30 PM
pkchapman

I hear you and agree.
Paul
Old 02-15-2016, 10:26 AM
pappy35

Does anyone know offhand what size the rudder control arm (at the servo) needs to be and whether one that's offset would help maintain tension better than a straight one?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:01 AM
jrr27

Just started assembly of my new 2M Vanquish. The build seems straight forward but looking ahead, I don't see a mention of CG balance point, either in the included instruction booklet or online (same as booklet.) Could anyone advise me as to where the plane should balance?

JRR27
Old 11-11-2017, 06:18 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

On mine for the first flight I just put the C&G on the wing tube....then adjust after many flights....by just moving the 10s battery forward or aft...I don’t have numbers, it’s all about trimming and feel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.