Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Servo Current Usage Graph for Intermediates

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 AM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Current Usage Graph for Intermediates

When I started using a BEC last year that was rated for only 2.5 amps folks were generally concerned about that not being enough. I have a sensor that flashes usage which told me I was never exceeding one amp but haven't been able to get sharable data until today when I finally setup my EagleTree with a servo sensor, and here's the graph as promised. Suffice to say that for Intermediate level flying we never go over 1 amp total. This graph is the output of the BEC and represents the sum of all servos together. Also I should mention this corroborates work done a couple years ago by another flyer. I'll try to find the link later. Now of course the trick will be to get a Master's level pilot to fly my plane in a Master's Sequence and then look again

Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
2Sunny

Default RE: Servo Current Usage Graph for Intermediates

Link coming but here's a graph for a single servo showing a peak around 400 mA meaning even if all five servos hit the same peak at the same time it would equal less than 2 amps and be more like 1.5 amps. Looks like I need to do mutliple snaps at full power to see

Joe

Old 06-16-2011, 03:55 PM
2Sunny

So here's the link to Ola's study.

[link=http://www.ofremmi.info/F3A/Technic/Flight_testing/servo_flight.htm]Servo Current Analysis[/link]

Based on his analysis the peaks were roughly 400 mA for the elevator, 240 mA for the Ailerons, and 600 mA for the rudder. All told you'd be hard pressed to break 2 amps.

The whole point here is that I believe after a year and 200 plus flights on my E-Motion with a 2.5 amp VHVBEC from D.E. I have proven that a 17g BEC is more than adequate for Pattern flying which means a sub 50g redundant rx power set is within reach of any E-designer willing to take on the task
Old 06-17-2011, 03:52 AM
viva_peru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting info