Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: BJCraft Episode

ORIGINAL: shannah

I got a chance to squeeze in a couple flights yesterday. I was trying a 20x13 prop per BJ's suggestion. He recommends a 20'' pitch because he says that the smaller diameter is more compatible with the canalizer. I thought it was a bit less yaw sensitive and rolled more axially (although it was pretty nice on the 21x14). It was faster overall, but not too bad.

I am just about ready to fix the rear anti rotation pins in place since I think my incidence is OK. I made a very slight thrust adjustment that I want to test before I do that however.

I still think this is a real solid flying airframe. It takes more work to fly it as smooth in P13 as the Nuance but it clearly excels in the more difficult FAI maneuvers. I hope to get out and do some more serious sequence flying over the next few weeks. I'll post my updates and progress.
    Steve,

I'm curious as to whether it truly rolls more axial, or if it appears like it because of the canalyzer. It definitly looks odd in some attitudes, but I think part of it is the color scheme. i have almost 150 flights on the one I have now, and I have tried the smaller props. as well as the larger and the only thing I really noticed was the speed difference. I was happer with the 20X15, than I was the 20X13, but have settled back on the 21X14 which i started with, and is the same prop that I run on my Nuance. I do love how the plane flies through the F sequence though. It is amazing how little rudder is needed for the knife edge loop and such.

Arch
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll play around with prop selections some more and see if I can tell the difference. Roll performance may just be due to the higher speed I was flying it at. Not sure.

I did try a 20x13W and liked it better than the standard 20x13 and 20x15 but I may end up going back to the 21x14 that I started with, just like you. I hope to get some more time on it tomorrow. The field has been pretty busy lately and with daylight loss time being in effect I haven't had a lot flying opportunity.

Overall, I'm still impressed with the way it flies.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is due in today. I can't wait to get a look at it. Mike
    Mike Mueller
    F3AUnlimited.com and Gator-RC Products
    1800 591 2875
    mikemueller@F3AUnlimited.com
    Team JR America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went back to the 21x14 and I prefer it overall. I liked the speed and downlines for sure. I still think that it rolls a little better with the small prop, perhaps it is due to rudder sensitivity and higher flight speed that I tended to use on the 20" props.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all Just received my Episode today Thanks to the great folks at F3A Lightning fast shipping, less than a week to Arizona!! thanks Chris!! ( Santa was really good this year!) have it unpacked! Just like my Nuance the packing included the masking newspaper from painting, Just makes me smile, nothing wasted! I have about 500 + flights on my Nuance and am looking forward to Flying the Episode. Any ideas on the rudder speed? on the Nuance I have slowed my rudder servo to about .18 sec travel speed. Any thoughts on setup for snaps and spins would be appreciated as well as just general throws to start. Thinking about a Hacker Q80 14XS for power. Thoughts?? Is there a BJ website that has builder notes like the Nuance? Any help is appreciated
    John Bentley

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi John,

I discussed motor options with BJ and he recommends staying away from the large outrunner like a Q80 on his designs. He feels that the long nose moment causes some yaw stability issues due to the large spinning mass of the outrunner . He tried a Himax outrunner and didn't like it as much as the inrunners he had been using.

I am VERY happy with the Pletty Advance on this airframe. I strongly recommend it.

As for control throws, be aware that the Episode rudder is very sensitive. You shouldn't need to slow down the rudder speed on the Episode but you will drastically reduce your throw.

Start by copying your Nuance program across the board. Then, take your rudder and cut the throw in half for normal flight. I don't know what kind of expo you were running on the Nuance but you will be about the same expo on the Episode, perhaps a bit higher. For spins, I boost the rudder throw up but it is still about 30% less than what I had on the Nuance.

Spins are done by rudder and elevator. I sometimes use aileron input as I am crossing over on the reverse 2-1/2 spins but aileron is not needed in the spin. It spins very slow.

I use a snap condition which has a high aileron throw and reduced elevator (on the Nuance I also reduced the rudder).

Construction of this is the same as the Nuance. The control arms are identical, landing gear setup is identical, wing attachment is identical. Check out the build info on this thread.

My CG is set forward from where it was with the Nuance. I believe I am around 275mm.

You will find that this airframe will probably take more work to set up than the Nuance did. It will feel completely different in the air.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks so much Steve, I just ordered the Pletty. Do you have the stab fences installed and if so did you use the 90Degree or 95 Degree angle? Do you think the wing adjusters are necessary? On the Nuance I used your recommendation and just used the factory fixed setup. Thanks for all your help, Hope to see you at a contest soon.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi John
    My stab fences are set at 90 degrees. That's the recommendation from BJ. If you check his website he explains how to install them. You might want to do what he suggests and mount them on tape and try out both the 90 and 95 to see what you like. I didn't try the 95 degree setting.

As for Incidence Adjusters, I put them on mine. My guess is that you probably don't need them but they are easy to install. I just got a set of the HobbyKing adjusters and they are nice. They work with the 8mm CF tube so you could use them with the tubes that are included in the kit (his tubing is just slightly over 8mm but you can sand them to fit I think).
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys after a pretty lengthy time to get the Episode ARC versions are finally inand shipping to customers today. I now know what a slow boat from China means.
    Thanks, Mike Mueller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu62203.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	1840321  
    Mike Mueller
    F3AUnlimited.com and Gator-RC Products
    1800 591 2875
    mikemueller@F3AUnlimited.com
    Team JR America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: shannah

I went back to the 21x14 and I prefer it overall. I liked the speed and downlines for sure. I still think that it rolls a little better with the small prop, perhaps it is due to rudder sensitivity and higher flight speed that I tended to use on the 20'' props.
    Smaller prop = less spiral slipstream force. More likely that's the reason for better rolls.
    Doug Cronkhite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One advantage of where I live is that F3A Unlimited is right up the road. I was able to go up and raid the trailer full of Episodes last night and i just unpacked the ARC I picked up. Here are some pics and weights. I'm not listing everything weight wise as the gear and such is the same as all the other BJ Craft planes. There is a seam in the fuse to fill, but certainly not bad. Wood work is excellent. Very little sanding if any will be required for covering.

Will start on it in a week or so. Have to get Tara's Monolog together first. Fortunately, I'm not in a rush on this Episode as the other one is still in the garage ready to fly (thanks Chris!).

Weights are as follows:

Right Wing - 242 grams
    Left Wing - 248 grams
    Canalyzer - 64 grams
    Fuse with Canopy - 990 grams
    Left Stab - 42 grams
    Rudder - 48 grams
    Right Stab 44 grams

Pics attached.

Name:	Db86352.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	1840821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh19674.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	1840822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc78521.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	1840823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nh11969.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	1840824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ep85706.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	1840825  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ri69962.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	1840826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mo14666.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	1840827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt68570.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	1840828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vu29244.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	1840829  
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Arch should I resevre a paint slot for you? I got one going now,along with mine plane. lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Absolutely JR. Gotta finish Tara's bird first. Probably mid Feb timeframe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very Kewl,....

bholsten

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to test my episode tomorrow..The plane without battery was 3.54kg
    WOW..........It's light
    Will have some pic very soon!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some detail pic.I use Pull-pull system inseat original design

Name:	Ca80919.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	1845495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xt60314.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	1845496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu51445.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	1845497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys49937.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	1845498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sd44512.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	1845499  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fv25910.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	1845500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rt31140.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	1845501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zy83840.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	1845502  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been using the Falcon V2 21x13.5 lately. I really like this combination. Good speed, nice downlines. Power utilization is good as well. I used 3600mah flying a big F13 in the wind today. It really slows down quickly when you throttle back, so you have to work the throttle a bit more than with the 21x14 APC but its worth it. I had to shove my batteries forward to compensate for the big weight difference between the APC and the Falcon V2.

I love flying F13 with this machine. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. My only concern so far is that I'm carrying a bit more low throttle to down elevator mix than I like. Other than that, its looking good.

I hope to be able to make it to the PHX contest next week. I always enjoy flying at the Sun Valley Fliers field.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone care to comment on what sort of work it would take to fit a Contra Drive into this aircraft?
    Thanks,
    Stuart

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like that Tara's getting a Monolog
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm putting together an Episode for the Contra now. Mine has the fuselage built for the Contra, with the right size spinner and zero side-thrust. These are now available from BJ Craft as is the Nuance and the Prologs. Other then having to come up with the bulkheads to mount the unit it has been no problem. Hoping to get it flying next week.
    TonyF - Team Horizon, Team BJ Craft, Team Contra Drive, Neu Motors
    2010,2009 US Masters Champion,2011 Masters Also-Ran

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Tony,
    I am really interested in any feedback on the Episode's flightperformance with the contra, if you could share once you had a few flights that would be great.
    Also, from some of the pictures the landing gear mount seems to be built very light, there doesn't seem to be any carbon re-enforcements, do you think it will stand up to flying off grass?
    Many thanks,
    Gerhard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gerhard,

There should be no problem on grass since it is the same mount as the Nuance / Prolog.
    I flew my Nuance for more then 300 flight which were all on grass.

Ram

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fehringer

Hello Tony,
    I am really interested in any feedback on the Episode's flightperformance with the contra, if you could share once you had a few flights that would be great.
    Also, from some of the pictures the landing gear mount seems to be built very light, there doesn't seem to be any carbon re-enforcements, do you think it will stand up to flying off grass?
    Many thanks,
    Gerhard
    The landing gear,and the mount, are very well designed, and you should not have any problems with them on grass.
    Like the previous poster, I've had quite a bit of experience with them ( on the Episode in my case).
    What you do need to watch, though, on the sort of heavy lumpy sodden ground we have here. at present, is the risk of nosing over/wheels digging in on take-off.
    The resulting prop strikes can be expensive.
    Prevention is not too difficult, of course, once you've noticed the tendency. Just more up elevator to begin the take off run, or buy the later gear with less backward rake.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fehringer

Hello Tony,
    Many thanks,
    Gerhard
    I have over 200 flights on the Episode off grass with zero problems.

Arch

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TonyF

I'm putting together an Episode for the Contra now. Mine has the fuselage built for the Contra, with the right size spinner and zero side-thrust. These are now available from BJ Craft as is the Nuance and the Prologs. Other then having to come up with the bulkheads to mount the unit it has been no problem. Hoping to get it flying next week.
    Well that would certainly make it easier

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast