Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: BJCraft Episode

Back in the shop....

I am really looking forward to getting this in the air. I had such a great time flying the Nuance at the District 7 Championships last weekend. It was great seeing the three Nuance variants: Stock, DTFS wing, and Contra Drive. This will be very interesting to see how the Episode stacks up.

I decided to install incidence adjusters after all. I went with the tried and true Gator RC adjusters. I read John Gayer's article in the latest KFactor and I decided to go ahead and use them in my plane. BJ Craft provides adjusters with the kit but after comparing them with the Gator version I decided that the Gator adjusters would be easier to use at the flying field. The BJ Craft adjusters look fine and seem like they would do the job but you really have to be careful when making changes.

Per John's method in the KFactor, I wrapped the gator socket in blue tape then inserted it into the wing antirotation pin hole. I opted to go with the front pin rather than the rear because it was a lot easier to do that. You can get access to the front pin for glueing and reinforcing. I plan on checking incidence in the first flights and then installing the rear tube and fixing it in place after I am happy.

For what it's worth, here are a couple pics of the process. I am using the kit supplied round disk for reinforcing the tube in the wing. It is shown for reference prior to adding the blue tape around the socket.

I'll add an aeropoxy fillet around the mounting plates for the adjusters. I CA'd them to the side of the fuse, so a fillet will help reinforce them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ur52203.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	1814951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av67687.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	1814952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68830.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	1814953  
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was able to get the maiden flights in on the Episode this afternoon. I only put in three flights but it was enough for me to get a quick initial assessment. One word pretty well sums it up.... AWESOME.

The Plettenberg Advance is a real monster powerhouse for sure. I flew it today with an APC 21x14 and it had a TON of power.

The OS ESC was super easy to set up and I used the settings posted on this thread by Henning. It was very constant speed upline and downline. The combination worked really well. I was shocked at how quiet the Pletty was. I have never flown anything that quiet.

The Episode is going to be a great plane. I need to put in a slight right thrust shim, I guess I was off just a bit on the firewall. Nothing major. I'll also need to tweak my wing adjusters a bit because I had to add some aileron trim. I probably should have just used the stock setup....

It flies very solid and it really locks in well. It has a great pace. Knife edge requires no mix on left rudder and it looks like it will take a bit of mix on right rudder but I will wait until I get the thrust set before I try to adjust it.

Snaps are fantastic. The spins are very nice as well

Rudder is, as B.J. said, very sensitive but I will be able to get that dialed in. I think this is going to be a real winner.

I will post more impressions and set up information over the next couple weeks as I get it more dialed in. I simply loaded my Nuance flight settings as a starting point and went from there. I did cut the rudder down quite a bit from the Nuance but the aileron and elevator settings seemed to be good.

As always, the first flights just set an overall impression. The real story comes out when you get serious and dial it in. But it started off VERY well.

Thanks to BJ Craft for all the help and support and also to F3AUnlimited.

Steve.

Name:	Hf98560.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	1815761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33599.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	1815762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19923.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	1815763  
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

By the way,

The color scheme looks great in the sunlight and in the air. It was a bright blue sky day today and it showed up well. We'll see how it looks on those dreary overcast gray days... But right now I am very happy with the colors.

Steve
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got to witness the maiden today. The plane looks really great on the ground, and in the air. Just as an observer of having seen the Nuance flown by Steve loads of times I can say that the Episode just looked more solid. Hard to quantify, but it just tracked better and seemed like it was on rails. It is also the quietest plane I have ever (barely) heard! The Pletty and the prop seemed to be working in perfect harmony and the plane looked like it never varied speed going up, down or sideways!! Just a super smooth grooving airplane.

The worst part of the whole day was on the drive home when I was trying to contrive a plausible argument for my wife on why I "need" one these so badly [&:]

One pic I snapped. Plane looks great!!

Name:	Us55390.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	1815774  
    Team Futaba - RClipos.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Forgot to post the weight info:

4760gms with the SkyLipo 4400 20C pack (pack weighs 1165gms). That's with the heavy APC prop and cheapo spinner. If I go with the light Carbon Fiber Prop and Spinner then this will be closer to 4700gms. Amazing..... The Wings weigh 360gms with servos. Very Light.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I should add the equipment:

Ailerons: JR 8411SA
    Elevators: Futaba BLS153
    Rudder: JR 8411SA
    RX: Futaba 6008HS
    RX Batt: Thunderpower 910mah
    Regulator: Powerbox digiswitch
    ESC: OS
    Motor Batts: Sky Lipo 4400 20C or Sky Lipo 4400 40C

I think that's all the pertinent info.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

May I ask, what C.of G. setting did you use?
    I too have flown it three times-but in low-cloud conditions which limited the usefulness of the flights.
    I used 275 mm from the back of the canopy floor. I think BJ park recommended 260 mm?
    It pitched towards the canopy on both K/E's,so I'm guessing that I should have followed the designer's advice!
    My kit didn't contain any wing incidence adjusters, but I fitted four home-made ones.
    At the stock settings, it needed quite a bit of right aileron trim, so I'd say you were probably right, to fit your adjusters.
    Re the colour scheme-I'd say that "busy", or "complex" come to mindbut very well executed-and certainly easily seen,even in the near-fog conditions that my one flew in-must be a good thing!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I set the CG at 260mm from the back of the canopy floor. This was measured without the canopy installed.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply.
    More flights today ,with the C of G at 260 mm, and rudder to(down) elevator mix reduced,but still there slightly(single-figure numbers around 5% on a JR Tx)
    That's with about 18 degrees each way on the rudder, which seems plenty.
    I prefer not to use spats, so probably the pitch to the canopy would largely disappear if they were fitted.
    I'm using a Pletty Evo 30-10, with an RS ultralight carbon 21/14 prop,and it's easily the quietest perceived in flight noise ever for me.
    My immediate comparison is my all-composite Gaudius,so I'm presuming that the Episode's built-up, filmed, wing and tail are the cause.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been flying the F3A Unlimited company Episode for some time now. Recently flew it at the D2 finals with excellent results considering amount of time I had to practice the new Advance sequence. I certainly like the speed of the Episode, very consistant with little wind effect. I didn't realize just how little it was affected by wind until I flew another design in the same conditions. As far as speed goes it seems to be happy at what ever speed you want to fly. I built the plane using the factory wing adjusters and so far no issues what so ever. At this time now adjustments have been made. Strong points are definitely in the rolling maneuvers and snaps. 45 lines up or down are a breeze. No drop in the nose. I need to check the CG to see where it is at this point. May be a little too far forward. ( More to come). Rudder is indeed very sensitive and strong. I have softened it considerably yet it still is very effective. Stall turns are a breeze. With what I have seen of this plane so far it certainly will not be challenged by either of the FAI sequences P or F. This plane is also powered by the Advance. Prop currently being used is a 21X13. So far I really like the speed this prop delivers in combination with the Episode. I did try a 20.5X14 for a few flights but felt it was a little too fast. I should comment on its ability to take off from grass fields. I have had no issues except in a strong cross wind. This is with the stock landing gear. I do feel the airplane slows down quickly when on approach for a landing which is a nice feature for those short fields. Thanks Chris for letting be fly this new addition to F3A Unlimited.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it's not too much trouble, I would like to know the canalizer incidence relative to the wing. Can anyone please measure this?
    Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My canalyzer is set at 0.3 degrees negative ( i.e.trailing edge raised) relative to the wing.
    The wing incidence, measured on the "non-aileron" part,near the aileron root, is itself set (by the factory settings on my example), at 0.8 degrees positive relative to the tail.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: f3a05

My canalyzer is set at 0.3 degrees negative ( i.e.trailing edge raised) relative to the wing.
    The wing incidence, measured on the ''non-aileron'' part,near the aileron root, is itself set (by the factory settings on my example), at 0.8 degrees positive relative to the tail.
    You might want to recheck your incidences again. I found it pretty difficult to get an accurate measurement on the wing at the non-aileron section. That section is swept fairly deep and it was hard to keep the incidence meter on the wing properly.

I checked with B.J. on this topic and he says that the wing and canalizer factory setting is +1.5 relative to the horizontal stabilizer. Set the horizontal stab at zero trim and verify its center with the neutral elevator jig template (be careful because there is a bit of play in that, not much but a bit). Then measure the wing incidence relative to the stab. The wing should be +1.5 positive in relationship to the horizontal stab. The canalizer is not adjustable but is set to match the wing incidence at the factory setting. Make sure that your canalizer is fitting flush in the mount and that the TE is not raised.

This +1.5 wing incidence is a starting point for the airframe. Adjustment may be necessary depending upon final CG setting and preference. Moving the CG may require adjustment to the wing incidence to restore elevator trim to zero.

If you are indeed at +0.8, this might explain why you had some pitching on knife edge. Try bumping up the incidence and see. I think I am at +1.3 so I'll dial in a bit more on mine.

Hope this helps. I'll update as I get more info on mine and verify where I am at. I think it's probably a good idea to install adjusters on this one, especially if you move the CG around.

Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks really good Steve. Glad to hear you have some flights on it. The pretty is a real power house, I miss the lower torque a bit though. I'm still working on my throttle curve in my new nuance. (Someday I will find my darn memory card.)

Great.... Now I want one. Haha

Chris
    Team BJ Craft Team F3A Unlimited
    Team JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: shannah

ORIGINAL: f3a05

The wing incidence, measured on the ''non-aileron'' part,near the aileron root, is itself set (by the factory settings on my example), at 0.8 degrees positive relative to the tail.
    You might want to recheck your incidences again. I found it pretty difficult to get an accurate measurement on the wing at the non-aileron section. That section is swept fairly deep and it was hard to keep the incidence meter on the wing properly.

I checked with B.J. on this topic and he says that the wing and canalizer factory setting is +1.5 relative to the horizontal stabilizer. Set the horizontal stab at zero trim and verify its center with the neutral elevator jig template (be careful because there is a bit of play in that, not much but a bit). Then measure the wing incidence relative to the stab. The wing should be +1.5 positive in relationship to the horizontal stab. The canalizer is not adjustable but is set to match the wing incidence at the factory setting. Make sure that your canalizer is fitting flush in the mount and that the TE is not raised.

This +1.5 wing incidence is a starting point for the airframe. Adjustment may be necessary depending upon final CG setting and preference. Moving the CG may require adjustment to the wing incidence to restore elevator trim to zero.

If you are indeed at +0.8, this might explain why you had some pitching on knife edge. Try bumping up the incidence and see. I think I am at +1.3 so I'll dial in a bit more on mine.

Hope this helps. I'll update as I get more info on mine and verify where I am at. I think it's probably a good idea to install adjusters on this one, especially if you move the CG around.

Hi Steve,
    So if you set the wing to the 1.5+ve recommended the canalyzer will be at 1-ve relatively.
    Seems a lot.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I re-checked mine and found that my wing incidence was indeed off a bit from factory recommended settings so I adjusted it to the factory recommended +1.5. That's relative to the stab with trim at neutral. I measured canalizer incidence and it seems to be +1.5 as well, relative to the stabs. As I said, it was a pain to measure with my meter since its a bit heavy so, I also checked it the old fashioned way with a ruler and a trig function calculator and the numbers matched up pretty closely.

Now I'll try flying it again and see where I end up. I probably won't bother measuring again. If I need to make adjustments then I will just crank them in as needed.
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Steve / f3a05,
    It would appear that your two models have different tail incidences and or canalyzer incidences.
    Does the model have an adjustable tail.
    Is there a factory recommended canalyzer incidence.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys in the FWIW department. The new shippment of ARC's due inearly part ofDecember will have a new landing gear on them with slightly less sweep. This is out of demand for a change. The ARF's due a little earlier are the same gears as the Nuance. Eventually the new gear will be added to our line. Also most people using the existing gears have found a way to make them work.
    I'm happy to see the change and am glad the Mr Park is so receptive to making changes when needed. He has become a very good partner and we are proud to be his representitive company. His products have proven to bewell designed and made and a very good value. Mike
    Mike Mueller
    F3AUnlimited.com and Gator-RC Products
    1800 591 2875
    mikemueller@F3AUnlimited.com
    Team JR America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PM works.

Thanks'

Bholsten

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill I have a list of people wanting the ARC Episode's. Your at the top. When we release the plane for pre order which will be soon we will contact those who asked to be on the list and give them a day or 2 to order the planes. After that it'll be on whoever orders them get priority. The interest in the ARC version has been better than we expected and it looks like the first shipment is nearing being reserved. Anyone wanting to be on the list let me know. I totally understand anyone wanting to get their winter building projects in place. Been there done that too many times.
    Also I'm sure we are getting more ARC's in as soon as possible to meet the demand. Thanks for your patience. Mike
    Mike Mueller
    F3AUnlimited.com and Gator-RC Products
    1800 591 2875
    mikemueller@F3AUnlimited.com
    Team JR America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: serious power

Hi Steve / f3a05,
    It would appear that your two models have different tail incidences and or canalyzer incidences.
    Does the model have an adjustable tail.
    Is there a factory recommended canalyzer incidence.

Brian
    Hi Brian,

The tail and canalizer (or should I say "channelizer") incidence are not adjustable. They are factory set. The wing is also factory set but you can add adjusters if you like. The incidence is set by using a jig, as shown in the attached picture.

That's why I recommend that f3a05 take another look at the settings he measured. If his canalizer is negative relative to the stab then he should make sure the canalizer is fitting properly. As I mentioned previously, the canalizer and wing both have the same incidence relative to the stab. It should be +1.5.

Name:	Lj23936.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	1816825  
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kool,..that sounds great!

Ok,..Who wants to buy a Black magic!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a good trimming session with Tony F. today up at the AVTI field in Lancaster. BEAUTIFUL weather.

I moved my CG forward to approx 270mm from the back of the canopy wall and it improved the tracking quite a bit. I added more positive incidence to help with a pull to canopy on uplines and knife edge flight. But I think I will add a bit of down thrust, not much. I may be off slightly on down thrust per the factory setup. All minor stuff. I had to mix out a bit of proverse roll on knife edge so we'll see where it finally ends up when I make thrust changes. I added some slight right thrust but probably ended up putting in too much (a single washer was added) so maybe a thinner spacer will be required.

All in all, the minor changes along with toning down the control throws per Tony's suggestions really made noticeable improvements. It is really feeling good in the air.

The colors do show up really well in the air. I think I will look for paint to match the LE purple trim and use that on the gear and pants. It will help in seeing the gear in the air and aid in tracking wings-level flight.

Tony flew it today and is already thinking about dropping in a contra drive on this airframe. I flew his contra drive Nuance and I have to say that I was really impressed by it.

I'm looking forward to more flights on the Episode.

I should also add that if anyone is on the fence between the Episode and Nuance then you should really evaluate where you are at. I think the Episode has some real potential for FAI F and Unknown sequences. But the Nuance is probably a better choice for all classes through Masters, and even most FAI fliers. It is just easier to set up, quicker to dial in, and it flies like it's name implies.. Nuance. It is much easier to fly the Nuance proficiently than the Episode due to the rudder authority. That said, I am really excited about the Episode and it's capabilities. It has tremendous knife edge flight characteristics. Like Tony remarked today: "it's like a foamie".....
    Team BJCraft

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had the pleasure of helping Steve a bit today with his Episode. I'm trying to decide what will be best for my next model and I wanted to see the Episode fly. After today's session I'm convinced that the Contra will work really well in the Episode, and that I really need to try the model to see how I will do with it in the F and Unknown schedules. The model really looks much better in person then in the pictures. And it does look good in the air. The KE capability is really amazing and is what is probably needed for those crazy unknown K-6's. That stuff really does need "foamy" type performance and the Episode will deliver that.

I do agree with what Steve said about the needs of everyone else who will not be flying the F3A Unknown stuff. The Nuance is extremely capable and seems simpler to set up, trim and fly. I may change my mind on that after I get 300 flights on an Episode. But the Nuance is really easy to set up and fly and performs extremely well.

I can't wait to get one flying with the Contra and see what I can do with it!
    TonyF - Team Horizon, Team BJ Craft, Team Contra Drive, Neu Motors
    2010,2009 US Masters Champion,2011 Masters Also-Ran

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast