Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Nuance

Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nuance

Dana,

Very happy with the setup I am using. Even in Muncie winds it performed great. I am very happy the Masters guys kept our finals line moving so we didn't have to fly in the crap that rolled in later in the afternoon.

Arch
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine in the air this last weekend!
I went with my trusty Pletty Evo30-10 and did end up installing wing adjusters.
The wheels exceeded my expectations of 1 good landing - they lasted 5.
Spent the first few flights adjusting ail trim out of it (not much), setting differential and playing a little with CG.
4630gm!!!!!!!!!

My buddies flew it more than I did because I was trying to focus on an upcoming contest in a different discipline. Joe took off and headed straight into the Adv pattern and proceeded to fly darn near as well as he does with his fully trimmed Neptuno. Mike concluded it was the best he's flown yet!
I broke down and flew through the P13 sequence as the wind picked up. It wasn't my best effort, but I was just amazed at how close to trimmed this thing is right off the workbench. It snaps, spins, and tracks just great - all without much setup adjusting! I've never experienced a "no mix" plane, but this might be it.

I'm going to swap the gear out for a Graphtek with less sweep and some MPI wheels.

Dan
Old 08-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Portlandflyer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have the Ultracote/Monocote colors for the Nuance?

Primarily the purple color.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same wheels on my plane. They look nice, and are extremely light. I absolutely loved the way they handled landing on a paved runway, but they lasted one day. The plastic does not go through the foam like it does on most quality wheels.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM
MTK

Lightness is in the foam used. Let me suggest that next time one has wheels with extremely lightweight foam tread, simply add a rubber ring to the foam. I cut mine from bicycle inner tube. Wash the tube thoroughly in soapy water and roughen the surface with a dremmel drum. Then glue it with ca. It adds about a gram, maybe 2, to the wheel and produces a great wear surface for hard surfaced runways.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I had the standard wheels on mine. I never had an issue with them. They don't appear 2 worn after many flights for me. I may mount them on the MK axles next time though.

Chris
Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I have had zero issues with my pair and the wheels. Mostly flying off of grass, but I did fly off pavement at the NATS with zero issues.

Arch
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Same here with both the Nuance and the Prolog.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 AM
jayjayneri

No issues with Nuance wheels off very rough pavement...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 AM
yun yong sun

Nuance ys175 conversion in South Korea is preparing
Makes cut for under-cowl engine conversion work.
Is expected to take a long time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47596.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1803447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26991.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1803448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42815.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1803449  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone put a Pletty EVO 30-10 in a Nuance and has a firewall template?

Jim O
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 AM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jim
I just put one in an episode. It has the same fuse. Check the build thread. Basically, its just a disk that is slightly elingated at the bottom. I think you start with 80-81mm diameter. I also put a template for the 40mm bolt circle and 27mm cutout. You'll need to do some final sanding to fit. The face of the mount has a smaller diameter than the rear.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:06 AM
shannah

Oops. Sorry. I put the Advance not the Evo.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:18 AM
OhD

Yes, it almost makes me want to buy an Advance it looks so easy.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 PM
underdw

I have a templete Jim.
PM me your email.
Dan
Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Portlandflyer

Dan,

I sent Jim your template. It worked great BTW.

Pat
Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM
OhD

Thanks Pat and Dan. Looks good. It needs to be scaled up a bit but I should be able to do it on my printer using the bolt pattern for the Pletty to size it properly.

Jim O
Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Jim I have a template for a firewall mount. Mike
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM
OhD

ORIGINAL: OhD

Thanks Pat and Dan. Looks good. It needs to be scaled up a bit but I should be able to do it on my printer using the bolt pattern for the Pletty to size it properly.

Jim O
Very interesting. I calculated I needed to increase it by 6%. I went to set my printer and noticed it was set to 94%. I set it to 100% and it looks like it is right on the money now. The message is, check your settings.

Thanks for the offer Mike, but it looks like I'm all set for the firewall. I haven't looked close at the kit yet, but I don't see anything in the way of a packing list or instructions. Is there something online to help me?

Jim O
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM
shannah

Hi Jim

Here are some links to B.J. Park's site. These have good info and dimensioned pics for the Nuance. Also, review the earlier parts of this thread for some build info.

http://rcone.kr/board/index.html?id=bjreference1&no=11
http://rcone.kr/board/index.html?id=bjreference1&no=14
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Tony,

I am considering a Nuance Contra setup. I would appreciate if you could PM me on your experience with the setup so far.

Thanks'

Bill Holsten
D-2

Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 AM
underdw

ORIGINAL: BHolsten

Hey Tony,

I am considering a Nuance Contra setup. I would appreciate if you could PM me on your experience with the setup so far.

Thanks'

Bill Holsten
D-2

I'd appreciate a public post Tony.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Sorry for the slow response on my Nuance info. A month ago I had a LiPo fire in my garage. So it's been hectic getting back to normal. I just got electricity back last Monday. I was running on a generator until then. My dog and cats are fine and the rest of the house is undamaged. All my models I had flying were in the house so they are also fine. The repairs are going to start Monday so hopefully I'll have my shop back soon. As to the cause, it was a combination of doing some things wrong. When I get a chance I'll try to put out a "lessons learned" report. I am going to be changing how I do some things in the future.

I've got nearly 300 flights on the Nuance/Contra to date and I'm very happy with it. It has greatly improved my F schedule flying over the Onas. I added some stab fences pretty early on and they improved the model some. They weren't as big an improvement on the Nuance as they were on the Onas, but they did help. The thing that took me the longest to get right were the snaps. With the Onas I run a snap condition that runs a lot of aileron but not a lot of rudder or elevator. The Nuance needed something different. It likes a bit more rudder and not a lot of aileron. I also found that reducing the expo on the ailerons in the snap condition made it easier to hit the exit. It does mean that in combination roll/snap maneuvers you have to be careful with the aileron use, but that came pretty easily. BJ Craft has sent me a set of the DTFS wings, but with my shop being repaired I have not been able to install them yet. I'll report when I get a chance to try them.

I am running the CG quite a bit further forward then the stock location. My CG is 1/8" behind the center of the tube. This is with the canopy off the model. I installed wing adjusters when I assembled the model and I have cranked in positive incidence. Don't ask me how much, I haven't measured it yet. I also adjusted out any roll trim the model initially had. I think that is important and any roll trim should be eliminated.

It does take a few more milliamps to fly the patterns with the Nuance over the Onas. It takes about 3,800 to 3,900mAh to fly P and about 4,200 to fly an F. These are contest type flights where you just fly the schedule and land. But I have not had any lack of power issues except when using some borrowed Thunderpower packs. I normally use E-Flite 30C 5,000mAh packs and I have never run out of power even on very windy days. But I borrowed some TP Gen 6 45C 5,000 packs just to try and I consistently ran out of power at the end of an F schedule. This was with three different sets of batteries. All three were pretty new and had very few cycles on them.

The one nice thing is that the Nuance even with the Contra installed is quite light. I easily make weight even with the relatively heavy E-Flite 30C packs. The latest set of E-Flite's are also lighter. But I actually prefer how the Nuance flies when it is closer to 5Kg then when it is lighter. So you can use higher capacity batteries and have no problem making weight.

I can say that I can highly recommend the Nuance if you are going to go with the Contra. Since BJ Craft is doing a Contra fuselage, that will make the conversion even easier. I am very happy with mine.

Here are a few pics of the model and the stab fences. I can post a pdf of the fences if anyone wants it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59697.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1809985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46810.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1809986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15393.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1809987  
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Good info Tony.

I just got mine a few weeks back but I have have been moving to a new house so I haven't got my garage in any kind of shape to build. I'm acquiring parts now in hopes that I can build it this weekend and next week so that I can maiden it Friday at Arvin. That outta make for an interesting district championship contest. haha Well, that's if I get the bearings for my Pletty that went swimming when I crashed my other Nuance. And assuming they fit/work and that the motor will still work. If not, I'll probably see ya next year unfortunately.. Sorry to hear about your fire. I did hear about it and was glad to hear it was only in your garage even though I know you lost some goodies that were in there.

I got the new DTFS wings with mine so I expect it to fly different somewhat. Also, in mine, BJ craft did send 2 wing adjusters so I would guess that would be standard in the newer planes hopefully. I do have to install them, but nice for him to listen to the fact that customers wanted wing adjusters.

Chris
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Portlandflyer

ORIGINAL: TonyF

Here are a few pics of the model and the stab fences. I can post a pdf of the fences if anyone wants it.

Tony,

Iwould like the PDF please.

Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.