Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Nuance

Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nuance

Perhaps you could meet up with Jarvis, and Bill Wallace up in Perris, or maybe Steve Hannah.. I think an hour or less north of San Diego. I don't know that they have that many active pattern pilots down in San Diego. Maybe Steve Dente, but I don't think he flew in a contest last year. I think most of the guys down there fly Imac first, pattern second. Could be wrong though.

Chris
Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Cool kids fly pattern first. [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Arch,

The Perris field and Hemet field are both about 1hr north of San Diego on I-15. Let us know when you will be in the area. I'm sure that we can get together there. Also, the guys fly electric planes (pattern included) at a field right on Mission Bay near Sea World. I don't know where its at exactly. I think Bill Wallace flew there over the holidays.

Steve
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
shannah

ORIGINAL: Aussie_Knife_Edge

ORIGINAL: shannah

Thanks Chris,

Since my brand new Neu motor failed, I also had to confiscate that from my standard Visa for a while. You wouldn't happen to have a spare one of those lying around would you???

Looking forward to flying this weekend. Lots of practicing to do.
Hi Steve,

What happened to the new Neu?

Cheers,
Jason.
Hi Jason,

I'm not sure exactly what happened to it. It was in my Contra Drive setup on my Visa. Brenner thinks a motor winding shorted out and then caused a failure in the drive due to overheating. The bearings were totally seized up on the drive. I originally thought it was the drive that seized up and then burned up the motor. But, since one winding was shorted out and blackened and the others were fine I think Brenner is right. I sent it back to see what Steve Neu says.

I have had great luck with my Neu motors for the past 18 months. Both of my motors were running great. Absolutely no problems at all. This is my first failure in a long time. Prior to the last 18 month run of no problems, I had to send them back for fan and wire problems. Once they squared that away I've been happy.

Steve
Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 PM
1bwana1

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

OK, question for all of you California guys. Anyone out there from down around San Diego? I'm going to be there for 4 days later this month and was trying to find someone to fly with. I know Doug is from down there, but was wondering if anyone else was as well.

Arch
Hi Arch,
We have a pretty good group (about 30 active pilots) of precision flyers down here in San Diego. More IMAC than pattern, but many of us fly some of both. You are welcome to join us while you are in town, plenty of planes to share. When will you be in town, and where are you staying?

Steve
Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 PM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Arch
Let us know when you are coming , an we can hookup. Are you bring a plane with you?, if not you can help me trim out my Vanquish!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 PM
1bwana1

About time you came down for a visit too Jarvis...
Old 01-14-2012, 01:25 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 1bwana1

OK, question for all of you California guys. Anyone out there from down around San Diego? I'm going to be there for 4 days later this month and was trying to find someone to fly with. I know Doug is from down there, but was wondering if anyone else was as well.

Arch
Hi Arch,
We have a pretty good group (about 30 active pilots) of precision flyers down here in San Diego. More IMAC than pattern, but many of us fly some of both. You are welcome to join us while you are in town, plenty of planes to share. When will you be in town, and where are you staying?

Steve
I flew with Steve an his group sometime ago. For sure you are going to have somw fun. The weather there is perfect all time.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:25 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve/Jarvis

I get into San Diego late on the 24th. We are flying in to China Lake on Sunday and will work there Monday and Tuesday then head south Tuesday night. Wednesday should be a very light day. Thursday and Friday we should finish in the mornings.

I am staying at the Omni right downtown. Unfortunately I will have very limited transportation and I won't be bringing a plane.

Arch
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 AM
1bwana1

Steve/Jarvis

I get into San Diego late on the 24th. We are flying in to China Lake on Sunday and will work there Monday and Tuesday then head south Tuesday night. Wednesday should be a very light day. Thursday and Friday we should finish in the mornings.

I am staying at the Omni right downtown. Unfortunately I will have very limited transportation and I won't be bringing a plane.

Arch
Arch,

The electric field at Sea World is only about 10 minutes from your hotel.Your hotel may offer a shuttle service to Sea World. Otherwise, it would be an easy cab ride, or one of us can come down and pick you up. When we fly on weekdaysit is mostly inthe morning.So maybe Wednesday morning will work for you. However, if your schedule restricts you to the afternoon we could probably put together a group for that. I think Friday would probably be the best day. Don't worry about a plane, we have plenty to share. We mostly fly the 2 meter stuff at Sea World. You may be forced to use a JR TX though, I could loan you a red "T" shirt too. LOL!

Let us know what will work best for you.

Steve
Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Steve. I'm sure I can get there somehow. If I have to suffer with JR and you are sure it will work I'll manage. I will however bring my own TX strap and orange shirt. Wednesday morning should work well and possibly even Friday.

Arch
Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 AM
1bwana1

That sounds great Arch. I will arrange some flying with the guys for Wednesday morning. PM me your cell phone number, and email so we can keep in touch.

Here is a link to the club and flying site information.

http://www.sefsd.org/

Steve
Old 01-16-2012, 08:00 PM
patternflyer1

Went down to fly with my friends at the Hollister field on Sunday. Was nice, sunny, no wind to start, but then pretty windy after 2 flights. First time I flew it in any real wind. I'm very happy with the performance. Even down wind in a strong wind it was very constant in speed. I flew FAI P as an unknown because I have only flown in on G4.5 and only a few times there, but with 26 flights on it, I felt very comfortable with it and it flew very well. The battery usage went up as with any plane. I used from 2800 early on in the day to 4000 later in the day. I was really pushing the 21x14 Falcon in the wind though. Would probably have changed props had I brought one. I get in the bad habit of not taking a spare prop to the field.

On one of my takeoffs, Jon Carter was calling for me. I took off, went straight into knife edge and showed him that it truly hold a very long knife edge with 0 mix as I have none still. I'm stoked for pattern season..

Chris
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Surefire
My Feedback: (1)

Chris is not kidding when he says he did a LONG knife edge on take-off. It went straight as an arrow. The Nuance looked very good in all maneuvers. I think it is a very impressive airframe.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 AM
shannah

Hi Chris,

Where did your CG end up?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
patternflyer1

A little forward of half way between recommended and Andrews CG. I think that makes it about 270mm. I tried it back at the recommended also and it didn't need any down elevator when inverted which felt weird to me. I also tried Andrews which I felt needed more throw in horizontal stuff obviously. I fly with small amounts of throw in normal flight but I am trying to learn to fly with a little more throw and use less stick. So I may still move it that extra 5mm forward yet. Not sure as right now, I don't have any trim issue's that I have seen. 2 percent down to low throttle for downlines. I have this on a switch so I can turn it off as it affects 45 down lines and some other things (like any other plane with this mix). It's early on, I have 24 flights on it. Going to get 6 more in here in a few minutes..

C
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM
shannah

That's about where I ended up. I tried moving it forward and I didn't like the feel. After more flights on it I ended up dialing in a little up elevator to rudder mix.

As for props, I have been running the APC 20.5x14. It's been great in the damp sea level air. But when I tried it in dry air at a bit higher altitude it seemed to be overpowered. I never thought I would say a plane was overpowered but I have to say that it is. Andrew J warned me about that. I'm thinking I will experiment with some different props.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 AM
pippy

I have had 5 flights do far on my Nuance. My flying field is a soft grass strip so I found the undercarriage is raked back too far. The plane wanted to nose forward on take off and landing. I have changed to an old set which is more forward. Also I have extended the length of these to allow for the Contra props at 22inches.
I started with CG forward at 280 mm but I didn't like the response of elevator so it is noe at the recommend setting which feels good. Knife edge is very good( no mixes so far),I did points rolls very axially with no rudder or elevator inputs, snaps fine etc. I think I need to put the addition to the rudder rear for yaw stability. I am happy to start with.
The final weight with Contra and TP 5000 battery is approx 4820g.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Zi-Chun Lin

Let me share some more pic of my Nuance,
Untail now I has about 30 flights and I love it so much!!!!!

I move Rudder servo to mid of fuselege and use pull-pull system for it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90029.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1716192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp45990.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1716193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85480.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1716194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17047.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1716195   Click image for larger version

Name:	My25317.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1716196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ri68673.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1716197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh79840.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1716198  
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

By this time tomorrow, I should have a flight or two on a Nuance and Osiris 2m. Can't wait!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM
desertrider49

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

By this time tomorrow, I should have a flight or two on a Nuance and Osiris 2m. Can't wait!

I noticed that the 3DHS website says the Osiris won't be out until summer. I've been patiently waiting and now I am a little discouraged. Maybe you or Andrew can shed a little light on it's release date.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I know Andrew just got some revised wings and stabs to test. He really wants the airplane to be 'right' when it's released. Of course, coming from China, every revision means you won't see production airplanes for 3 months due to the time on the water, and it's also Chinese New Year right now I think, so they're not working.

I will definitely ask though. Believe me.. I'm waiting for this to be ready as well!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

As you can see, I added some 1/4'' balsa to keep the canopy in the right spot when I put it on. It was a bit of a pain in the butt before I did this, now it goes straight on easily.

Please tell Steve Hannah to do this as well... several of us needed about 6 hands to get his canopy on at the AMA Expo!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:53 PM
shannah

Thats just the test to see if you're worthy of flying it. Ha Ha. I'm doing that tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 PM
shannah

Done.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.