Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Nuance

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by patternflyer1
Trying the stab addition that Chip did to Matts Episode. So far so good. I like how it tracks more on the lines. I may need to change the right thrust a little. Not sure yet. Was kinda windy.

Chris
I think adding more area under the fuse would be better honestly, but then you'd have to make a new rudder and tailwheel setup.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:24 PM
STEVE HOSNER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to verify the Battery tray location when using the Hacker A60-70S or HiMax motor.
Any chance that someone could send a few pictures or measurements?

Thanks for your help!

Steve
Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Depends a lot on what main battery you are planning on running. Battery technology changes so much I have moved my tray twice now. And I am getting ready to move it so that I can put my packs under the wing tube. I have no servos in the tail though. Rudder and elevator servos are at the rear of the canopy. I think you may end up centered on the gear plate.

I actually made the marks for my cg locations on the canopy/fuse. Then i cut a carbon rod the exact size of the width of the fuse at that cg location. Then if I want to run a different pack, it's easy to pick up at the field to test the cg. I usually do something similar when cging the plane before I mount my main and receiver packs. Except i hang it off the ceiling, but very low to the floor.

Chris
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM
STEVE HOSNER

Thanks for the quick reply Chris. I will be running the Rhino 4900 10 cell packs. Nothing too special. The three servos are in the tail on my setup.
What is your motor setup? Your idea to add the CG rod is one of those "why didn't I think of that" ideas!
Thanks again Chris.

Steve
Old 10-10-2013, 08:25 PM
patternflyer1

Not sure I can attach this from my ipad. Can't attach more than one.. That's for sure.

Guess not. I will download pic to computer.

i am running a Pletty advance/ ice80/ F3A U 4500/5100's. I have a Neu sitting here though. Maybe in my next one.

Chris

Last edited by patternflyer1; 10-10-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 PM
patternflyer1

Old 10-10-2013, 08:44 PM
patternflyer1

BTW, I have changed a lot of things in testing lately and like the cg where BJ says to put it. I did remove the upthrust and change the incidence accordingly. Not sure it's where I will leave it, but in testing, that's where I am at right now. I feel I am really close to where I want it. Of course, mine has DTFS wings and Episode stabs. I wish I would done the testing changes "before" the nats. lol But I had lost my canopy. Was happy BJ got me one quickly so I could go..

I hope to get a Canalyzer for it and test that with it at some point to see the differences.
BJ also sent me a set of regular wings. So far I prefer the DTFS wings.

Chris
Old 10-11-2013, 06:18 AM
g_mkoch

anyone have a firewall template to install a Hacker Q-80 XS?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Neko

pf1 has it pretty much covered, but here's my battery tray. I used the stock one supplied with the plane, and it's mounted pretty much centered on the gear mounting box. I have the servos in the tail and am using the HiMax motor. CG is as suggested by BJCraft when the batteries are pretty much centered on the tray. I've also put a picture of my firewall, and of the little fittings I made for the removable stab. The nylon thumb screw goes into a threaded piece of nylon rod that runs through the fuse. There's a little milled slot on the back of the fitting that matches the rounded tab on the stab.

I strengthened the gear mounting box with doublers on all three surfaces. A bit of extra weight, but very useful given our rough grass field and my iffy landings. I'm still not quite used to landing such a heavy plane.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neko- what's the advantage of the plastic clamps holding the stab tabs instead of using a bolt thru the tabs?
Old 10-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Neko

Mostly ease of use. I tried a bolt through the tab first and it is really clumsy to take on and off because it's so close to the bottom surface of the stab. This arrangement puts the thumb screw farther away from the surface so it's easier to manipulate. Also, you only have to loosen the screw a couple of turns to lift up the plastic piece and rotate it to point downward. The stab then comes right off. You don't ever have to remove the screw completely.

Last edited by Neko; 10-11-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 AM
STEVE HOSNER

Thanks for the information everyone.

Steve
Old 10-17-2013, 10:49 PM
patternflyer1

Steve Hosner, did you fly it yet?

Chris
Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM
STEVE HOSNER

Not yet Chris but soon. Work is getting in the way of having a good time.

Steve
Old 01-23-2014, 07:52 AM
lc_eiras

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great Plane, very different and more forgiven than my Sebart Wind S Pro.

Still struggling with the C.G. currently have a great tendency to pull to the canopy in Knife edge.

Greater than the plane just Chris at www.bondaero.co.uk
Thanks for the great service, friendliness and willingness to help.

Best Regards
Luis Eiras
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3780.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	1961286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140120-WA0002.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1961288  
Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

I never had any mixing in the ones I owned and own.
Got them in stock. If anyone is interested I can work a deal.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
F3AUnlimited.com
800 591 2875
Old 01-23-2014, 10:55 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Originally Posted by lc_eiras
Great Plane, very different and more forgiven than my Sebart Wind S Pro.

Still struggling with the C.G. currently have a great tendency to pull to the canopy in Knife edge.

Greater than the plane just Chris at www.bondaero.co.uk
Thanks for the great service, friendliness and willingness to help.

Best Regards
Luis Eiras
Luis,

Try shifting your CG back. I had similar issues at first and slowly played with CG until I got it right. With it going to the canopy, shift the CG rearward a little. I would also add the stab fences. It definitely cleans up the plane in yaw on a calm day.

Arch

Last edited by rcpattern; 01-23-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:36 PM
svrcp
My Feedback: (1)

As Archie said do your self a favor add the stad fences and try the CG at mid of wing tube or rear 1/4 of wing tube to start.\ out

Jr Varela
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM
mups53

Originally Posted by svrcp
As Archie said do your self a favor add the stad fences and try the CG at mid of wing tube or rear 1/4 of wing tube to start.\ out

Jr Varela
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=743
Easy fix. The Prolog due it's wing does not need these. Mike
Old 01-26-2014, 04:25 AM
lc_eiras

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for tips...

My old CG at 270mm:

My new CG at 260mm, I'll try the next weekend, if not it is raining again .......

Mike, I will contact you on Monday for the stab fences
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0211.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1962180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0214.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1962181  
Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 AM
KGSS28

Anyone know if there is any weight difference between the stock gear and the canard gear for the Nuance ?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 AM
mups53

Same weight. Each individual strut is 2.2 ounces. 62.7 grams.
Have a great weekend. Mike Mueller
Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Cliff_B

Flew my nuance yesterday, equipment a was pletty advance, YGE. With JR servos, plane would go strait up but required right rudder to maintain the line. Also had pull to canopy on down lines, hook hard to canopy on right knife edge, hook fairly hard to the canopy with left rudder, I Han to put probably 10 clicks up elevator on first flight, cg at 270 mm, moved it back on second flight and was no better. For what ever reason power was down and it knocked the prop loose twice, I checked the esc and motor to see how hot they were and there didn't seem to be a issue. I was just putting around trying to get some time on new batteries. As I continued to fly it it seemed tail heavy but would still hook to the canopy. All in all I was unimpressed with it, I set up like it was designed and it has multiple trim issues.

Anyway on flight 5 the YGE caught fire and I was unable to get back to the runway so I put it down in the field, of course the cheesy ply on the gear wadded up like match sticks under a Mack truck, the fire went out after it melted the wires off the esc, the wires to the motor were also melted off , battery was exposed to some fire as the heat shrink was melted off in one area , plane has heavy damage from fire, it is mostly intact with heavy paint bubbling it is repairable but not sure it's worth the effort after the way it flew.

tried to check incidence on wing and stab prior to flying it, with canopy line level wing was at 2.6 positive, that seemed odd and at first I thought my meter was flawed but reversed it and same reading, so maybe the canopy isn't the thrust line, put the meter on the stab and had to raise the tail close to 10" from the table to get to 0 deg. Ate his point the wing was .2 positive . Kinda odd to have the tail set at such a high angle in relation to the wing, When the plane was airborne it looked like it was dragging the tail very low like it was very tail heavy.

any way that that's the latest on my experience with the Nuance, first impression is I would not buy a second.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Cliff,

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I would recommend putting wing adjusters in to start with. If you go back and read some of the threads, most of us raised the wing to about .7 and then ran the CG around 260 with the more positive incidence. Having owned 2 of them and trimmed many others, this always worked well. The recommended CG for it always felt tail heavy and I moved the CG forward and added positive incidence. I won the 2012 NATS in Masters flying it, so they definitely do fly well when setup correctly. I would definitely suggest adding at least one stab fence on each side of the horizontal as well. I ran 2, others ran 1 and were happy.

Arch
Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Cliff_B

Thanks for the encouragement, I have followed this thread and that's why I bought one.
I do have adjusters on it, I didn't like the idea of having to add them if needed, I will do as you suggest it just seems like it should be a better plane off the board. I have been out of pattern for several years and electrics were just coming along when I was sidetracked to other things. Having built several pattern planes I just expected more from it in the beginning. There is really no way to tell what the incidence is but I can crank it up and see what happens. I just about have the gear back in, not going to worry about the finish not sure if it will stay together it had a pretty good fire going when it went in. Still not sure what happened, it was down on power , I had a throttle tech in line, but bypassed it with same result so I really don't know if I just had a bad esc or I programmed it incorrectly , have a new one OS on the way so will have it up again in a couple weeks. 5 flights isn't enough time to really tell what's going on I was putting around most of the time. I would have cranked on the wings after the first flight but I did not elongate the rear pins, I built as designed just added adjusters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.