Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
  #1
JAS
Thread Starter
 
JAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Around
Posts: 1,430
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Having only been flying Jeti/Hacker Comp 90 ESC's since 05-06 (I think) I've always looked for something that was a direct replacement since they stopped making them. The Spin 99 is the closest to it, but even it isn't as easy to program as the old Comps. Since I'm now down to 2 Comps, it was time I started figuring something out. Over the holiday's I was able to do some flying with the new Futaba MC 9100A ESC. I must say, it's the closest to the Comp as far as performance and ease of programming (with the recommended programmer). The only real difference is the throttle transition seems smoother with the Futaba than the Comp.

My plane set-up is as follows:

Plane – 2M Osiris (prototype)
Motor – Fury 60/67-230
Prop – APC 21x13W
Batt – ThunderPower 5000 45C (my 20C are 3 years old and a bit weak at the end of flights)

ESC Settings:

Batt type - Lipo
Lipo cut - 3V
Cut type – Slow
Motor Direction - Normal
Timing – 24 degrees
Acceleration – Normal
Start Power - Normal
Brake % - 90%
Brake – On
Poles – 28
Gear Ratio – 1.0 : 1

Temps the days I flew were low to mid 70’s and the ESC was 123F when I took the canopy off to check it. This is with the ESC mounted on top of my batteries with not much air flowing to it. I will need to find a better mounting method than just that lol. I'll probably drop it in the chin for direct airflow to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29818.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1709625  
JAS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM
  #2
underwoodsteve
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: gosport, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 62
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

hi jas,
what is the price compared with the hacker spin 99 ?? ..

regards
steve
underwoodsteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM
  #3
JAS
Thread Starter
 
JAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Around
Posts: 1,430
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

I don't know if a price has been set yet.
JAS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 AM
  #4
underwoodsteve
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: gosport, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 62
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

ok, good stuff keep us posted jas...

regards
steve
underwoodsteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM
  #5
braza
 
braza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alpharetta, Ga
Posts: 215
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Had the chance to check it out and fly this set up this past weekend (Thanks Jason !). Airplane flew very well and very smoth throttle response.
braza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:04 AM
  #6
Henning
 
Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 197
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

In Japan Futaba lists the ESC MC9100A at $258 and the programing box at $52.

Both Akiba and Suzuki use this ESC.


Regards,
Henning
Henning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
  #7
VerneK
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 258
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Does it have fixed endpoints, auto, or both?

Thanks,
Verne (I have 3 Comp controllers )


Quote:
ORIGINAL: JAS

Having only been flying Jeti/Hacker Comp 90 ESC's since 05-06 (I think) I've always looked for something that was a direct replacement since they stopped making them. The Spin 99 is the closest to it, but even it isn't as easy to program as the old Comps. Since I'm now down to 2 Comps, it was time I started figuring something out. Over the holiday's I was able to do some flying with the new Futaba MC 9100A ESC. I must say, it's the closest to the Comp as far as performance and ease of programming (with the recommended programmer). The only real difference is the throttle transition seems smoother with the Futaba than the Comp.

My plane set-up is as follows:

Plane – 2M Osiris (prototype)
Motor – Fury 60/67-230
Prop – APC 21x13W
Batt – ThunderPower 5000 45C (my 20C are 3 years old and a bit weak at the end of flights)

ESC Settings:

Batt type - Lipo
Lipo cut - 3V
Cut type – Slow
Motor Direction - Normal
Timing – 24 degrees
Acceleration – Normal
Start Power - Normal
Brake % - 90%
Brake – On
Poles – 28
Gear Ratio – 1.0 : 1

Temps the days I flew were low to mid 70’s and the ESC was 123F when I took the canopy off to check it. This is with the ESC mounted on top of my batteries with not much air flowing to it. I will need to find a better mounting method than just that lol. I'll probably drop it in the chin for direct airflow to it.

VerneK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 AM
  #8
Mavox
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location:
Posts: 24
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Does it come with any neat "fasstest" features? Like integrated voltage and current measurements transmitted via telemetry? If not, a 124g controller would be a step backwards in evolution IMHO.
Mavox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:47 AM
  #9
Henning
 
Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 197
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Wondering if the Futaba, Robbe and the OS ESCs are the same products with different labels? OS is owned by Futaba and Futaba produce products for Robbe.

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/Newprodu...1221/1100.html
http://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/motor/index.html



Henning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
  #10
Bill Clark
 
Bill Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 141
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

I would like to see Futaba introduce their motors and ESC's to the us market. All my Futaba radio gear has been bullet proof and I dont have any doubt this stuff wouldnt be top notch. Looks like they have just the right motor for my 8s Wind 110 too
Bill Clark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 AM
  #11
Jon Wold
 
Jon Wold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 690
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

It's probably coming, but in Europe they've launched both the motors and the ESC line under the O.S brand. O.S and Futaba are probably owned by the same company. I love O.S and would use that ESC in a heartbeat, but it seems a bit heavy? My Kontronik jive 80 weighs significantly less.

BTW, What Osiris prototype? Pics of the whole plane, please [8D]
Jon Wold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:21 AM
  #12
Henning
 
Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 197
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Jon: what is the weight of your Jive 80 including heat sink, wire with noise filter and full length of cables to the motor and batteries? I assume you well be pretty close to the OS/Futaba ESC at 124 grams. The clamed weight of the Jive 80 on Kontroniks web page is probably added by the marketing department.

Wondering if the OS/Futaba ESC works with Plettenberg Adcance 30-10?

Henning
Henning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
  #13
JAS
Thread Starter
 
JAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Around
Posts: 1,430
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

I'm guessing it's auto end-points as there is no selection for fixed end-points.

I don't know if there are 'hidden' telemetry features in the ESC as I don't have an 18MZ to check with.
JAS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
  #14
Bill Clark
 
Bill Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 141
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC



After checking out the link to Futaba above I set out on a mission to get my hands on one of the 5065-300KV motors for my Wind 110e. A little luck and pulling some strings got it done. I was expecting the absolute highest quality and was not surprised once I got it in my hands. even the motor mount is fully machined. I will start on a 17x10 on 8s and go from there. Thanks for planting the seed Henning

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16055.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	609.0 KB
ID:	1715905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30420.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	458.7 KB
ID:	1715906  
Bill Clark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
  #15
Henning
 
Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 197
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

The instruction manual for OS and Futaba is the same. I only have the manual for Futaba in Japanese but had someone scan the manual in English for OS for me.

Henning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90127.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	1761597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27982.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	1761598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69619.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	1761599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89189.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	1761600  
Henning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM
  #16
lablover
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: sterling heights, MI
Posts: 383
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Bill

Did you have to change much to mount the Futaba in your Wind 110 ? Can't wait to get ahold of one
Quote:
ORIGINAL: Bill Clark



After checking out the link to Futaba above I set out on a mission to get my hands on one of the 5065-300KV motors for my Wind 110e. A little luck and pulling some strings got it done. I was expecting the absolute highest quality and was not surprised once I got it in my hands. even the motor mount is fully machined. I will start on a 17x10 on 8s and go from there. Thanks for planting the seed Henning

lablover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
  #17
Bill Clark
 
Bill Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 141
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

The firewall was a bolt up but the rear mount needed rework because the motor is shorter than a Hacker. I had to find someone that was going to Japan to get mine because no one has it in the US. Futaba told me they wouldnt ship to the US and none of Japans hobbyshops that carry it will sell outside Japan. Its a great motor and if you can get one you will be happy with it. I wish they would just go ahead and put their OS badge on it and start selling them in the states. 18x10 xoar at 7400rpm gives 14.5lbs static and 63 amps on 8s 20cand runs cool
Bill Clark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:21 AM
  #18
Henning
 
Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 197
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

[/quote]

Thanks again. It is not clear if you can turn the brake on and off in the air by changing the low end pulse width. My current Spin 99 setup gives me idle at low stick position (no brake) and ''brake'' when I switch to a shorter pulse width. In the no brake condition, I do have to jog the stick to get it started initially but once it is started it transitions off of idle very smoothly and the motor never stops. If I have the brake on, lower pulse width at low stick, it is not a smooth transition from off to idle. My YGE does transition from brake to idle very well and it is what I was hoping the Futaba might do too.

I assume with the Futaba programming technique you would get ''brake'' at low stick position and would need to switch to a higher pulse width to get an idle at low stick. Is that doable? How do you set it up?

Jim O
[/quote]

Yes Jim it's doable.


My set up for Plettenberg Advance 30-10 and 14MZ

ESC:
Battery Type: LiPo
Cutoff voltage: Auto
Battery cutoff type: Soft
Advanced Timing: 24ΒΊ
Accelerations: Normal
Start Power: Lowest
Air Brake: On, 60%
Motor Pole No: 20
Gear Ratio: 1.0:1

Radio:
End points:
High 80%
Low 100%

The break is executed when the stick is at low position. I do not use idle. Startup is super smooth and transition from break to power is seamless.

I fly with APC 21x12WE in a Wind S Pro. The plane does not induce much drag so I only use 80 % power and have more than enough power for F3A in strong wind.

Regards,
Henning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81386.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1762222  
Henning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 AM
  #19
Silent-AV8R
 
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Bill Clark

The firewall was a bolt up but the rear mount needed rework because the motor is shorter than a Hacker. I had to find someone that was going to Japan to get mine because no one has it in the US. Futaba told me they wouldnt ship to the US and none of Japans hobbyshops that carry it will sell outside Japan. Its a great motor and if you can get one you will be happy with it. I wish they would just go ahead and put their OS badge on it and start selling them in the states. 18x10 xoar at 7400rpm gives 14.5lbs static and 63 amps on 8s 20c and runs cool

The only way to get them into the US is to put pressure on Hobbico/Great Planes to do so. They need to know that there is a market or they are likely not to import them. They can be selective about what products they import. I definitely plan to ask for the ESC and also several motor sizes. They already have a few of the OS labeled motors, but none of them larger enough for our use.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GHG&V=OSM

The only Futaba speed controllers they have are ones intended for the car market.
Silent-AV8R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:49 PM
  #20
flyboy91
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: monroe, MI
Posts: 673
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Hobbico does carry the os brand speed control which is the same as the Futaba controller.
Here is the link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBYTY&P=ML
flyboy91 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:30 PM
  #21
Bill Clark
 
Bill Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Apopka, FL
Posts: 141
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R


The only way to get them into the US is to put pressure on Hobbico/Great Planes to do so
Probabley have to get a pettition going to make that happen. My feeling (and judging from their email response) is that they simply dont care to sell some of their products outside of Japan. They are a big company (aside from RC) and they can pic and choose if they want to.

Henning, can you adjust the PWM on the controller or is it set at 32khz. I looked over the instructions you posted but didnt catch it
Bill Clark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 AM
  #22
mikehannah
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thurso, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 876
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

Hi
I too have been looking at them for a project. As regards telemetry, it would be nice if the Futaba ESC logged and transmitted total amps drawn. That way you could set the telemetry to allert you when you are getting close to a selected limit. It would be alot better than monitoring pack voltage which could then be used as an alternative means of health check.

eg the telemetry squawks once you have pulled XmAh or the voltage drops below Y volts.

mikehannah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
  #23
Henning
 
Henning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oslo, NORWAY
Posts: 197
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Bill Clark


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R


The only way to get them into the US is to put pressure on Hobbico/Great Planes to do so
Probabley have to get a pettition going to make that happen. My feeling (and judging from their email response) is that they simply dont care to sell some of their products outside of Japan. They are a big company (aside from RC) and they can pic and choose if they want to.

Henning, can you adjust the PWM on the controller or is it set at 32khz. I looked over the instructions you posted but didnt catch it
It is set at 32
Henning is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM
  #24
woodie
 
woodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 1,142
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

I just checked the specs for the OS controller at Tower Hobbies and the specs listed say it a lower peak amp than the OS instructions list.

Tower Hobbies
SPECS: Cell Handling Capability: 14-36 NiCd/NiMH, 4-12 LiPo
Function: Forward-Stop-Brake-Reverse
Peak Load Current: 70A (85A 5 seconds)
PWM Frequency: 32kHz
Protective Function: Start protection/Low Voltage/ No Signal cut-off/
Overheat protection
Parameter Setting: ESC/ESC Programmer OCP-1 (optional extra)
Dimensions: 2.9 x 2.2 x 1.2" (73.4 x 56 x 31mm)
Weight: 4.4oz (124g)

Probably specs for a different controller.

It also says it has 'reverse' capability, not sure why we would need that for airplanes, but it would be spectacular on final approach.. ;-) Probably a carry over from another controllers specs.

Don
woodie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:31 PM
  #25
Silent-AV8R
 
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 5,308
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba MC 9100A ESC

That looks like a typo. Basically they posted the specs for the 70 AMP ESC (OCA-170HV) on the 100 amp page.

These are the specs off the OS website for the OCA-1100 HV ESC:

Quote:
4-36 NC / NiMH for 90 to 110 class motor ,4-12 Lipo
β—‹ Lipo battery type selection, NiCd, NiMH
β—‹ 100A load current of air brake ON / OFF (5 seconds 150A)
73.4x56x31 Dimensions (mm): Weight 124g (including wiring)
OMA-5020-490/OMA-5025-375: OS recommended motor
Silent-AV8R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:44 PM.