Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Kontonik JIVE 120 HV Startup trouble: Any help?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Kontonik JIVE 120 HV Startup trouble: Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kontonik JIVE 120 HV Startup trouble: Any help?

So I have a new plane in the works and was hoping to use a Kontronik JIVE because it comes with a built in BEC and requires a NiMH as a redundant RX power backup which I love. I have an 80 HV in my Delro that has worked well, but decided to put a 120 HV in my latest plane. Anyways the 120 won't start the Plettenberg Advance without a horrible screech and jumpiness. I see online that Kontronik generally doesn't offer help when the issue is a motor/esc combo problem and I read as well that F5B guys found Kontronik JIVEs don't run 4 pole motors. So . . .

Does anyone know how to make a Kontronik JIVE 120 HV work with a Pletty Advance? Or does anyone have experience with a Kontronik JIVE FAI 120 HV?

I am trying to include a YouTube video taken by C. Moon that demonstrates the problem and compares it to a YGE.

Thanks,

Joe

[link=http://youtu.be/2CQDyCu2R80]Kontronik JIVE Startup trouble[/link]

Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM
2Sunny

Default RE: Kontonik JIVE 120 HV Startup trouble: Any help?

More tries at posting video . . .

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CQDyCu2R80[/youtube]

Old 01-29-2012, 02:36 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

I read as well that F5B guys found Kontronik JIVEs don't run 4 pole motors. So . . .
The Advance is a 20 pole motor. If its set to run a low pole motor the timing could be off, not sure that will help but worth a check.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: can773

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

I read as well that F5B guys found Kontronik JIVEs don't run 4 pole motors. So . . .
The Advance is a 20 pole motor. If its set to run a low pole motor the timing could be off, not sure that will help but worth a check.

Thanks Chad! Unfortunately the only choice for Timing is Auto, -5. +5, +10 degrees, and we tried those settings with no luck.

I understand the one I have is a V9 and Kontronik offers an upgraded software known as V11. I think I'll send it back for the upgrade and see if that makes a difference. Meantime I bought a YGE from F3A which works flawlessly. I'm very excited to fly this plane soon if the weather turns decent for a day or two!

Joe

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Jason Arnold

Hey Joe,

This is somewhat OT but I'd be curious how your trimming goes with the Pegasus. Specifically, outside loops. Inside loops should be fine.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The timing for the Advance should be at 24 degrees or thereabouts, so if you can only get to 10 that may be the issue. Maybe the new firmware will get it fixed for you.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Henning

I have not tried the Jive 120 HV with the Advance but the Jive 80 HV v9 have the same startup issue. The timing on the Jive shall be set to “Auto” and startup “Fast”. That’s will make less problems. The Jive is also sensitive to throttle curve. My experience with Kontronik Jive and Plettenbergs F3A motors is that they don’t work (good) together. It’s the same startup problem with Plettenberg 30-10 Evo and 30-9 Evo. I have informed Kontronik of the startup issue. Owe Plettenberg advised Jeti Spin 99 as the preferred ESC for the Advance. Jive ESCs work fantastic with Kontroniks own motors.

My understanding is that Kontronik has focus on helicopters.

Henning
Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
2Sunny

Update: I wish I had figured this out earlier as I may have misled people, but today I realized that the brake had somehow been set to 100% and that was causing the startup trouble shown in the beginning of the thread. To summarize the Kontronik JIVE 120 HV works well with the Plettenberg Advance 30-10. There is still an issue at startup, but it is very minor UNLESS you want to use the brake function. When I set a moderate idle speed the acceleration and operation of the motor is very smooth, but there is significant "chatter" at startup if I do not "push through" the start quickly. Oddly I tried many settings today to try and find the best, but for both the 80 HV and the 120 HV I found using the Prog Card and setting brake "Off", "Auto" timing and "Smooth" startup provided the best response. Also fascinating is that I did a static run and got . . .

Advance 30-10
JIVE 120 HV
Falcon 21x14
6320 RPM
69 Amps
40.5 Volts

but for those who have read my other stuff I find it interesting that . . .

Pletty 25-12
JIVE 80 HV
Falcon 20.5x14.5
6230 RPM
69 Amps

Sadly I didn't write down the voltage and don't remember what battery I used so the comparison is slightly wanting, but the point to me seems to be that for us mere mortals of the pattern world, I don't think we can "feel" any difference between these motors. I will, of course, add plenty more after I get a few dozen flights on my Pegasus

Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

I think you might find that the Astro Watt meter is only good to 69/70A
Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 AM
2Sunny

Well, I'll be a son of a gun . I wish I had been smart enough to guess at that fact given the identical reading on the Whatt-Meter. Now off to the la-bore-a-tory!

Thanks!

Joe
Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 AM
2Sunny

More trivia for anyone who is still listening.

Originally, I used the directions shown on YouTube, [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA5_Pg-ym_A]Jive/Jazz Programming[/link], to set the Travel Adjustment for the throttle on my 12X with the Kontronik Jives, both on the 80 and the 120. Yesterday I broke out my Jeti Spin Box and looked at the readings that the 12X was putting out as a result of this process.

Armed 1.12 ms
Idle 1.22 ms
Full Throttle 1.82 ms

I then tried lowering the ATV when the throttle was running at full and didn't notice a drop in RPM until around 1.76 ms which I think means I had a click or 2 of "dead band" at the top of my throttle curve so I lowered the top slightly to read 1.80 ms. The H point for ATV for throttle on my 12X then went from 90% to 86%. After that I used the Prog card to set the fixed end points and that got rid of the "dead band" as well which would have been easier in the first place Of course, that and a buck will get you a coffee at a diner, but hey for any geeks out there like me it might be interesting

Joe