Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Castle Creations Edge 80HV Lite vs the non-lite version

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castle Creations Edge 80HV Lite vs the non-lite version

I'm guessing the lite version has the outer aluminum heat sink removed? I'm afraid that could lead to higher operating temps during flight and a lot longer wait times in between flights for the ESC to cool off on the hottest days. Can anyone with experience with the Lite version care to comment, especially if you have experience operating both versions.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:39 AM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave L probably has the most experience and knowledge about them. As far as I know he runs them without issues as long as you get enough cooling air over them. I have one that I was planning to mount on my next pattern build. Found a new one at a good price on Ebay.
Before you burned up your prior controller were you having any other issues? Down on power up on battery consumption and amps? Knock on wood I have yet to burn up a Castle HV controller but I have had some motor issues leading to increased current use, and battery depletion (and lower power) that leads to increased temps all around.
Stuart
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM
luckymacy

Stuart,
I didn't knowingly have an issue. I know it was a 5000 mah pack that was 97% charged before flight. I typically use about 3500 mah of the pack flying. It was at the end of the flight and I didn't notice anything bad up to that point. The ESC burnout took the pack out with it so no forensics possible there now.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Stuart Chale

Probably not a motor issue unless you have problems after replacing the ESC. I usually have noticed increase battery use and loss of power over several weeks without failure of a component.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:34 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been flying my Griffin during the past week in 90 degree plus temps.
Edge 80 HV no problems.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM
luckymacy

Originally Posted by sc204
Probably not a motor issue unless you have problems after replacing the ESC. I usually have noticed increase battery use and loss of power over several weeks without failure of a component.
Can you explain the thought behind your answer better with respect monitoring the battery and power loss and how that ties in to the ESC burning up?

I am curious if a pack's overall resistance gets too high (and what is too high anyway...) how that would affect the ESC and motor with respect to leading to some kind of failure on either of the latter's part.

Last edited by luckymacy; 08-19-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:52 PM
Stuart Chale

If the motor armature demagnetizes (which I understand it does from overheating) It will take a higher current to produce the same power, ie higher throttle positions, more heat produced in the ESC and motor and higher battery use (also gets hotter)
At some point something might fail.