Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

CA Models ENVISION

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA Models ENVISION

Here is a sneak peak at the new sweptwing purpose built electric model called ENVISION. This model has been designed from the ground up by a top F3A flyer. Since I have been in Argentina and can speak in English we have been able to hopefully provide this individual with everything he is looking for in a design. We have sent several hundred emails back and forth as well as just about as many phone calls in order to try to make his model as exact as possible.

I had mentioned before, about me and carving plugs, but my memory has gotten even shorter as that is what I have been doing for the last few weeks. This one was a little differnt though because I was only doing as I was told, and I did not need to really think about everything.

I cannot spill the beans yet, but I am sure he will make announcement soon. All the equipment came today for it and I am installing the radio while Marcelo is finishing up the covering. Our goal is to fly tommorrow and if all goes well I think we will make it.

Since I am here, I get the honors of the test flights, even though we offered to wait for him, so I am excited about that.

More later Chip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57505.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1391516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56313.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1391517  
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA Models ENVISION

I don't know how you guys keep pumping out these great models. It's making life very difficult. What to get?

Can't wait to hear how it flies!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

DAMN another GREAT LOOKING plane, don´t know which one to choose, Pass-Port, Visa, Onas and now this. My father used to say "if the plane looks good it flyes good", I´m sure it will be a winner. That plane looks awesome. Good job guys.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only one thing i notice is the landing gear is under the wing & swept forward style, usually in pattern i have see they are ahead the wing leading edge in a swept forward way.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:55 PM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes a lot of sense to me. With the typical swept back pattern gear, vertical and front impacts from less than ideal landings result in a twisting moment on the gear mount. With this setup, excessive landing forces go roughly straight into the gear and can be (partially) absorbed by gear flex. I suspect that, with the mount moved under the wing, the designer was able to tie the tear to the wing tube and make a strong/robust and lighter structure.
Dan
Old 03-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Sweet! I can't wait to hear who the designer is.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

That is a great looking airplane ! Hopefully it flies as good as it looks.
Looks like the stab and wing are nearly on the same line.

tommy s
Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: TonyF

I don't know how you guys keep pumping out these great models. It's making life very difficult. What to get?

Can't wait to hear how it flies!
Ditto that Tony.
I really like the forward sweep on the UC too.
The plane has very nice lines. It also looks a little bit like an Integral and that's not a bad thing.
Thanks for sharing and all the best with it. Mike
Old 03-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Passport1

It does in the picture but actually the wing is a good amount lower then the stab. More so then the Visa, Passport and it doesn´t have an hedral. The model is just about finshed but I am going to take Miriam flying in a Super Cub today and we are spending tomorrow in BA with some of her family. Test flights will come on Monday.

Chip
ORIGINAL: tommy s

That is a great looking airplane ! Hopefully it flies as good as it looks.
Looks like the stab and wing are nearly on the same line.

tommy s
Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
cdodom

Good luck with the test flights Chip!!
I cant wait to hear the flight report.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Passport1

It does in the picture but actually the wing is a good amount lower then the stab. More so then the Visa, Passport and it doesn´t have an hedral. The model is just about finshed but I am going to take Miriam flying in a Super Cub today and we are spending tomorrow in BA with some of her family. Test flights will come on Monday.

Chip
Heh.. didn't know you knew how to fly full-scale Chip.. Cool deal. Did you get licensed here in the US as a requirement for the UAV stuff?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 AM
AmericanSpectre505

I like that,....good looking design!

Bholsten
Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Passport1

Thanks Bill and I am sorry that I have not been more active in updating this thread. This has been a really hectic week but I now have a little free time to finish the Envision. Its just about done. I was stuck in a couple places and needed to speak to the designer but he was unavailable. I have zero experience with outrunners as well and before I went out and burned up something I felt it was important to get the info I needed to set the controller. All I need to finish the model is to mount the controller and make the linkage for the ailerons. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.

Chip
ORIGINAL: BHolsten

I like that,....good looking design!

Bholsten
Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Chip, What is the advantage of the swept wing?
thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Chip,

What outrunner are you using in the ENVISION? I would be very interested in how this design compares to the other new CA models designs (rolls & snaps). I like the more forward nose/canopy designs and the sweep in the wings. I look forward to the test flight data,...have fun and good luck.

Bholsten
Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Passport1

Bill, I too like the forward canopy it brings back memories of the Jekyll days. As for the outrunner it is a Shulman Fury that the designer wanted me to put in it. I just ran the motor and it seems really stout on a 20.5x14 prop. The plane is finished but since we have a ton going on at the factory I did not go flying today.

I have attached a few pics of the finished plane. Hopefully tomorrow is the day. There is really no doubt in my mind it will fly great, my only concern is if we hit the wing location (fore and aft) exactly right the first time. We have built this model in such a way that we can shift everything without to much drama so regardless I think we will be able to finalize everything in a short time.

This was built as a one off airplane at the same time as the plug was carved. (I will never do that again lol) That way we didn´t have to wait the extra month to get the flight reports like we did on the Visa. We should have the production fuse in the shop in 3 weeks and are already making all the laser cut parts

More Later

Chip

Hey Chip,

What outrunner are you using in the ENVISION? I would be very interested in how this design compares to the other new CA models designs (rolls & snaps). I like the more forward nose/canopy designs and the sweep in the wings. I look forward to the test flight data,...have fun and good luck.

Bholsten

Name:	Ec89409.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1398990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17236.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1398991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20824.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	1398992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44687.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1398993  
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Thanks Chip,...that looks great!
I was wondering if the Shulman Fury was still alive,..guess that answered that question. I will be around for a few more weeks to read the flight reports then off to the "big" sandbox! I will send you my color sheme when I get back and go from their. Best of luck with the test flights and thanks for the response!

Bholsten
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Passport1

Thanks Chip,...that looks great!
I was wondering if the Shulman Fury was still alive,..guess that answered that question. I will be around for a few more weeks to read the flight reports then off to the ''big'' sandbox! I will send you my color sheme when I get back and go from their. Best of luck with the test flights and thanks for the response!

Bholsten
Well guys I flew the Envision and all I can say is WOW. It was really nice out this evening, perfect for flying and it flew right off the board. After the first flight we only adjusted the stab a little to zero out the elevator trim and that was it. As for the mixing it again, just has the standard 2% thottle to elev. and throttle to rudd. I only flew it twice because after the second flight it flew so good I had to go to the hanger and get the Visa to compare. They are equal in my mind and I am confident that with any of the 4 models we have right now it will simply come down to who is prepared.

As for the Fury that to impressed me a great deal. It is very smooth as far as throttle response and downlines were comparable to my NEU motor. I was able to drag Marcelo out of the factory to see the test flights and he was absolutely amazed as well.

The mold is being made as I type and we are starting to make parts so that the first planes can be ready as soon as the new fuse arrives.

More later

Chip
Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
cdodom

That is awesome Chip!! I cant wait to see the sweet scheme you put on this airplane. I just love the lines of this airplane.

thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Boogie

This was built as a one off airplane at the same time as the plug was carved. (I will never do that again lol) That way we didn´t have to wait the extra month to get the flight reports like we did on the Visa.
So with what technique was it made exactly? Foam+balsa+glass?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: Boogie

This was built as a one off airplane at the same time as the plug was carved. (I will never do that again lol) That way we didn´t have to wait the extra month to get the flight reports like we did on the Visa.
So with what technique was it made exactly? Foam+balsa+glass?
All of the above and a lot of work. It started its life as a passport fuse, but with the new canopy hatch, Chin cowl, Cheek cowls, wing location, stab location, new wing (Swept) new stab (Straight TE), vertical fin and rudder it became close to an Envision. This not exact but its close. The first pics were of the plug the second of the plane I built for testing.

Chip
Old 03-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Passport1

The Envision Mold will be finished next week and we will have the first Fuses by the middle of the following week.

Chip
Old 03-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Jon Wold

This one looks really awesome!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Passport1

I am just back from spending the entire day at the field with Marcelo. It is not often that we both get to fly so it was a lot of fun for me to have a caller and for Marcelo to get to fly some of the models he has been producing. I have been able to fly two days a week recently and have had some time to really start to fine tune some things for this season. I think this was only the second time we have gone together though in the last 3 months.

If I am not mistaken this was the first day he flew since the day after I arrived and I am sure it was the first time he flew my new Visa, Envision, and an Onas other then our original proto type. All three models are flying very similiar to one another and all of them he flew like he had 100 flights on each. Here is a pic from today, the only regret I have is not having a Passport for it. It kind of shows the difference yet similiarities between the line of planes.

Chip

Name:	Lj23149.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1416341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31378.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1416342  
Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
SByrd
My Feedback: (4)

Those are three good looking airplanes. Keep up all the hard work.

Stephen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.