Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

New Griffin by Xtreme Composite

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am converting my Griffin to gasoline power. I removed the landing gear blocks and firewall arrangments, rebuilding these areas for more strength. I've heard that the landing gear set-up was a bit weak in this model and indeed, block removal was easier than anticipated.

The gas engine is piped so the model needs more clearance in the belly to house the pipe.

The factory weights of the components are light enough to enable such a conversion. Good job Xtreme Composite.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:49 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope you post pics as you go !! Really like seeing your building skills displayed in these projects.

Mike
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by maustin
Hope you post pics as you go !! Really like seeing your building skills displayed in these projects.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Look for the conversion elsewhere; it doesn't belong in the electric space.

BTW, the landing gear blocks and what little firewal there was, removed about 100 grams from the fuse. I also removed much of the nose ring which was another 15 grams or so. The composite rudder was removed (65 grams). The new rudder will weigh about 35 grams.

For now I intend to keep the wings and stabs intact (wing panel weights are reasonable at 410 grams each and stab panels are about 105 grams each).
Old 09-28-2014, 07:46 PM
billdor
My Feedback: (11)

Can anyone tell me how to use the wing adjusters on this bird? There is a small screw with a nut on the bottom in front of the wing pin and a larger screw with a lock nut on the bottom to the rear of the pin. I assume that one of them is for adjusting and the other is to lock it but I am not sure which is which.

Bill
Old 09-29-2014, 09:58 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

I have 4 remaining in inventory. After that it'll be the end of this beauty.
It's still a great plane at a great price.
If anyone still wants one call me and I'll make you a deal you can not refuse. Thanks, Mike
800 591 2875
Old 01-19-2016, 10:25 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Matt did you ever make progress on the Gas Conversion?
I have a customer who wants to do a Gas conversion.
I was wondering if our Caelus would be a good candidate.
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/airplane...nes/toprcmodel
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 01-19-2016, 12:48 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by billdor
Can anyone tell me how to use the wing adjusters on this bird? There is a small screw with a nut on the bottom in front of the wing pin and a larger screw with a lock nut on the bottom to the rear of the pin. I assume that one of them is for adjusting and the other is to lock it but I am not sure which is which.

Bill
Bill
The adjusters are similar to the Gator that F3AU sells....you turn the screw and the pivot moves. BUT, the included adjusters may need some freeing up as mine did. Then the nut should be locked onto the screw with loctite. Obviously you don't want the nut to come loose as you turn the screw. To
Old 01-19-2016, 01:13 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by mups53
Matt did you ever make progress on the Gas Conversion?
I have a customer who wants to do a Gas conversion.
I was wondering if our Caelus would be a good candidate.
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/airplane...nes/toprcmodel
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Mike, the building mods are finished. Touch up painting has yet to be done. The mods include the following:
canopy, the forward section was permanently installed to the fuse. Canopy was shortened
chin cowl, cut the fuse in the front bottom to create a chin cowl, accessing the engine
fuse reinforcements, added balsa sheeting in front surrounding the firewall. Also added a pair of longerons in the canopy area to stiffen the fuse under the canopy.
landing gear, installed my design's mount in the fuse
firewall, balsa carbon sandwich
elevators, converted to pull-pull. Much lighter than two servos. Saves about 40 grams in the tail.
rudder, built up with thinner sheeting. Half the weight of the original, saving nearly 35 grams in the tail.

I included the details to show that Any electric model can be converted to IC. There was a net weight loss even though there were all these areas I needed to touch. The weight savings were not required btw, since the Griffin is plenty light in its stock form. But since I can, why not?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:40 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by MTK
Mike, the building mods are finished. Touch up painting has yet to be done. The mods include the following:
canopy, the forward section was permanently installed to the fuse. Canopy was shortened
chin cowl, cut the fuse in the front bottom to create a chin cowl, accessing the engine
fuse reinforcements, added balsa sheeting in front surrounding the firewall. Also added a pair of longerons in the canopy area to stiffen the fuse under the canopy.
landing gear, installed my design's mount in the fuse
firewall, balsa carbon sandwich
elevators, converted to pull-pull. Much lighter than two servos. Saves about 80 grams in the tail.
rudder, built up with thinner sheeting. Half the weight of the original, saving nearly 35 grams in the tail.

I included the details to show that Any electric model can be converted to IC. There was a net weight loss even though there were all these areas I needed to touch. The weight savings were not required btw, since the Griffin is plenty light in its stock form. But since I can, why not?
I completed the paint touch up and have most of the equipment installed. I've stated this before.... This model is extremely light for its size. It looks like around 10 lbs 2 ounces rtf. With the trusted OS GT33 providing the motivation it will fly great. I have a new 21x10.5 MDK hybrid prop nearly ready to go also.

Wings are light enough at around 400 grams without servo and linkage, but lighter would be better. If the model flies well and is worth the trouble, I will probably build a new set which will save 200 grams.

When I get back home next week, I'll post a few photos of the mods I made.

EDIT--- I posted a few photos on the Pattern forum in the Gt33 Gas engine thread.

The maiden was uneventful. It's a floater at less than 10#. It flies true with only the slightest hint of down pitching with top rudder. Working on snaps setup. It will take much more elevator and aileron than I'm used to, so be it.

Decided on an 8 oz gas tank which gives me about 13 minutes at part throttle. With 4 hp+ performance is outstanding. One third throttle for everything but it's still cool air.

Last edited by MTK; 04-29-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:04 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Originally Posted by mups53
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=607
We have the replacement wiings for a few of the planes we had in stock.
Granted it took a longtime.
I've flown a Griffin the whole season and it's a proven to be an very good plane. Plus AC Glenn flew his to a top three finish in the US Nationals.
We can also offer anyone partial and complete building services so you receive a turnkey plane on any of our F3A Models.
By this time next week we will have an even more interesting option. Dave Snow is going to have lighter built up wings as an option.
They will cost $400 and be in a ARC state. We estimate that the savings in weight will be 6 ounces or more.
I'll have my new set and post a picture soon.
Thanks for your patience. Mike Mueller
FWIW we only have the White Griffins stock at this time.
I have this set of the Dave Snow built Griffin wings. They are NIB in immaculate condition and very well built. Please contact me if interested.

Last edited by NJRCFLYER2; 09-21-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Adding pictures