Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

New pattern ship recomendation

Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 11:11 AM
  #1
camaro101
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stoughton, MA
Posts: 115
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New pattern ship recomendation

Hi all

I know there are many threads like this so i don't mean to open a giant can of worms but im getting into pattern flying and i was wondering if you guys could make some recommendations.

I have seen alot of people recommending osiris and i know that plane is great.

However im starting a thread of my own so i can spell out exactly what i was hoping for and see if anyone knows anything that would fit the bill.

Right now im flying a seb art angel 30e and i love it but its a bit small and way under power with the hacker a30 and a 4s


Here is my wish list

-Electric
-2m as im not looking for anything smaller (better in high winds that i often fly in and easier to see). This is kinda a must. I know sebart has the 110 but its just short of legal.
-open to composite but might be out of my financial reach.
-looking for a finished build of $1500 or less.
-10s f3a legal setup
-weight legal


The only one that i can come up with is the vanquish which is high on my list

I was hoping the pattern guys on here might know of some others.

hopefully this post doesn't start a flame war


Thanks!

camaro101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
  #2
wildwillie3
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Claysville, PA
Posts: 186
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Hello,

Have you looked at the Monolog from F3A Unlimited

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=475


Bill
wildwillie3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
  #3
rcpattern
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 2,860
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

The Vanquish and Monolog both fly awesome and are both cost effective and easily make weight.

Arch
rcpattern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
  #4
camaro101
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stoughton, MA
Posts: 115
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I was on f3a unlimited and did see the monolog

Looks like they have a combo for 1200 with a motor

I dont know anything about BJ craft

good quality?

I do know some extreme flight stuff. Im assuming the mono is traditional construction not composite like the vanquish?

As far as these two go would you guys recomend the supplied motor?

I know vanquish has the silver bullet and the monolog says himax i think.

Or should i skip them and go else where?

Thanks

camaro101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:44 AM
  #5
rcpattern
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 2,860
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

BJ Craft makes excellent stuff. The build quality on both is outstanding. The Himax definitely produces more power than the silver bullet. The Torque stuff is okay, but even a vanquish with the Himax motor performs better.

Arch
rcpattern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
  #6
wagen017
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Eindhoven, NETHERLANDS
Posts: 958
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Why would the Sebart Wind 110 not be "legal"?

Great replacement in my opinion would be the Mythos.

Volkert
wagen017 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
  #7
KGSS28
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hartsville, TN
Posts: 286
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

I am in the process of completing a Monolog . I find the quality to be great with no issues with the build . I also bought the combo from F3A, Chris and Mike are great to deal with you will not have any problems.

I hope to have the maden flight next week .

B J Craft website

http://rcone.kr/board/index.html?id=...e1&page=2&no=2
KGSS28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM
  #8
Ricardo M.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montevideo, URUGUAY
Posts: 232
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Maybe you can consider the Sebart MYTHOS 125. I Know it is not a "full" 2x2, the difference is only 8 cm in wingspan and 10 cm in length. Nice, modern and wooden design. You can use it with 6 to 10 cells.

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=652

Regards.
Ricardo M. is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 PM
  #9
Portlandflyer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 354
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Actually the Vanquish is built up, not composite.
Portlandflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM
  #10
camaro101
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stoughton, MA
Posts: 115
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Thanks for all the ideas

Is the mythos legal?
I was looking for something strictly 2X2 so i can legally compete which is also why i was looking for def 10s setup also.


Has anyone ever had an experience putting the himax motor in the vanquish.?


As far as choosing between the mono or vanquish i would say purely based on looks i would say the vanquish is a better looking ship and see as i know nothing aboutt either of them except what they look like lol I'm stumped on which to pick

What are the servo requirements for the mono?

Im trying not to drop $500 in servos

I guess it comes down to the fact that i don't know nearly enough about either to make an educated choice.

Is there a build thread on the mono? With some pics perhaps?

Did i miss that somewhere on the forum?

Thanks!
camaro101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
  #11
wagen017
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Eindhoven, NETHERLANDS
Posts: 958
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

So to clarify the rules are that the airplane is less then 5 kg, and the maximum size is 2 meters long, 2 meters wingspan.

You can compete today if you want to with your Angel 30, it does not have to be a 2meter ship.

Volkert
wagen017 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:12 PM
  #12
nonstoprc
 
nonstoprc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central, TX
Posts: 2,452
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Another factor to consider is the durability of the plane, mainly the fuse, over hundreds of flights.

A fiberglass fuse can take a lot beat, such as hard landings, and maintain the rigidity/precision over several seasons. Some of fibger-glass kits are just over $1100 (such as the ARIXTRA, VISA etc).
nonstoprc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
  #13
rcpattern
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 2,860
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

If you read the star of the Vanquish build thread you will see the servos I used are good digitals, but not top of the line expensive. They work great for the plane.

Quite a few have mounted the Himax in the nose with no problems. It is a very popular combination.

I personally recommend wood as it is very durable and if you do have a small accident, it is very easy to fix. I will say the Vanquish is very well built, especially in the landing gear area, so tearing them out takes some work. You can't go wrong with either the Vanquish or Monolog and both are very competitive in all AMA classes. Both will perform well with the Himax on very economical batteries as well.

Arch
rcpattern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM
  #14
camaro101
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stoughton, MA
Posts: 115
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation


Quote:
ORIGINAL: wagen017

So to clarify the rules are that the airplane is less then 5 kg, and the maximum size is 2 meters long, 2 meters wingspan.

You can compete today if you want to with your Angel 30, it does not have to be a 2meter ship.

Volkert

I thought the plane had to be 2m

that was the point of 2 meter planes?

and were required for 10s

that is what i was told for a bunch of pattern guys this past weekend. Maybe i misunderstood

Ive heard a lot of people say they have to add weight to "make weight" for the class

So how can i go compete with a 50 inch angel?

I'm talking about AMA sanctioned comps?

If you could clarify for me that would be great. Thanks
camaro101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:19 PM
  #15
camaro101
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stoughton, MA
Posts: 115
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rcpattern

If you read the star of the Vanquish build thread you will see the servos I used are good digitals, but not top of the line expensive. They work great for the plane.

Quite a few have mounted the Himax in the nose with no problems. It is a very popular combination.

I personally recommend wood as it is very durable and if you do have a small accident, it is very easy to fix. I will say the Vanquish is very well built, especially in the landing gear area, so tearing them out takes some work. You can't go wrong with either the Vanquish or Monolog and both are very competitive in all AMA classes. Both will perform well with the Himax on very economical batteries as well.

Arch

Arch

I followed your build it looked great. Looks like the servos you used were about $90 each and it needs 5

thats what i was concerned about. $500 for servos

Or am i missing something

camaro101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 PM
  #16
PatternFlyer
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburg, KS
Posts: 1,058
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Quote:
ORIGINAL: camaro101


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rcpattern



If you read the star of the Vanquish build thread you will see the servos I used are good digitals, but not top of the line expensive. They work great for the plane.

Quite a few have mounted the Himax in the nose with no problems. It is a very popular combination.

I personally recommend wood as it is very durable and if you do have a small accident, it is very easy to fix. I will say the Vanquish is very well built, especially in the landing gear area, so tearing them out takes some work. You can't go wrong with either the Vanquish or Monolog and both are very competitive in all AMA classes. Both will perform well with the Himax on very economical batteries as well.

Arch

Arch

I followed your build it looked great. Looks like the servos you used were about $90 each and it needs 5

thats what i was concerned about. $500 for servos

Or am i missing something

Plane doesn't have to be 2m. 2m x 2m is maximum size. People try to remove/reduce the weight to make it under 5 Kg (a bit over 11 pounds). 42volt (fully charged 10S pack) is maximum voltage allowed in Pattern.

Looks like you mis-understood all backward.

Your 50" angel will be fine for Sportsman although it is a little in small size. Most of the contest will allow you to fly even larger than 2m for sportsman, but not something like a 30% extra.

If you are going to try Intermediate, I would suggest larger plane around .60 size or larger. Minimum would be 62" Osiris. However, you will want something larger than 62" Osiris after trying a few contests in the Intermediate.


For servos, JR, Airtronics, Savox, Futaba, Spektrum, Hitec servos can be all be done under $500.00

Depending on the type of servos, overall cost can be some where around $300 to $450

Any of above manufacturer servos can be mixed without any issue as long as there isn't any voltage restriction. Just don't go too cheap on servos. Don't have to be metal gear also.

I've seen a lot of people trying to go too cheap on servos after spending $$$ on plane. I think equipments especially radio/servos are investment for a long term service with reliability. So far, Futaba, JR, Airtronics, Savox are the ones that I have good experience with. Hitec isn't as good in my experience especially on large planes.

Since I fly JR, I mostly use JR servos. DS9411 for Ailerons, DS8411 for Rudder, DS3421 for elevator halves are for basic 2m setup.
DS9411, DS3717, DS8911 all high voltage on 2-cell lipo directly fed to receiver will be in my next setup.

Airtronics 94746M, 94761Z, 94775 will work fine.

Futaba 9551, 9156, 9650 will work fine for Futaba transmitters.
So far, my experience on 9650 hasn't been very good on three small planes. one of them was dual elevator servos that had gear slop out of box (0 flight). A few JR transmitters and Spektrum transmitters tried with different centers.
Had to replace two. Servo worked really well in Heli and several other planes when not used as dual elevator.

Savox 1232SG, 1251MG, 1250MG will do a fine job for under $300. Make sure to use large enough receiver battery with very good regulator.

For regulators, Tech Aero is very good, Jaccio is very well known, Maxx products, Duralite etc.

Vanquish is good. I have one new in box waiting for a new owner since I ordered another plane.
BJ craft is good too. BJ Park designed most of the the Fliton planes.

Just pick a plane you like.

HiMax, Hacker are fine motor. Axi is good, but Hobby-lobby isn't doing well nowadays, so support?

ESC, Castle Phoenix 85HV (now discontinued), ICE 80HV, Jeti Spin 99 for Hacker. Some runs Castle ESC with Hacker without a single issue. Some do have problems. Not sure why.

Hope this helps,

IP

PatternFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 AM
  #17
rcpattern
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 2,860
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation


Quote:
ORIGINAL: camaro101


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rcpattern

If you read the star of the Vanquish build thread you will see the servos I used are good digitals, but not top of the line expensive. They work great for the plane.

Quite a few have mounted the Himax in the nose with no problems. It is a very popular combination.

I personally recommend wood as it is very durable and if you do have a small accident, it is very easy to fix. I will say the Vanquish is very well built, especially in the landing gear area, so tearing them out takes some work. You can't go wrong with either the Vanquish or Monolog and both are very competitive in all AMA classes. Both will perform well with the Himax on very economical batteries as well.

Arch

Arch

I followed your build it looked great. Looks like the servos you used were about $90 each and it needs 5

thats what i was concerned about. $500 for servos

Or am i missing something

The S9650's in the tail are only 54.99 each from tower. The 9551's for the ailerons are only 84.99 each. The 9155 is 119.99, but you could use a 9151 with similar results for 99.99. These are all great servos and will last. There are cheaper options out there, but if you go this route you will not be sorry down the road.

Arch
rcpattern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 AM
  #18
MTK
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Whippany, NJ
Posts: 5,386
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Most long time Pattern people will agree with Archie. You would likely be competing against excellent equipment so it simply makes sense from that point of view. Your relative lack of experience is a minor point. You will gain better experience, quicker, with better equipment......

Outfit the better servos for any pattern plane from the start. It will cost a bit more up front but as you pile up the flights, the service you'll get will be superior and you would be a far happier camper not worrying about servos. There are other places to save, such as batteries and TX/RX combos (examples, Zippy packs or using a 9305 rather than a 12X).
MTK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM
  #19
Jetdesign
 
Jetdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 7,050
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

If you are serious about flying pattern, get a 2M plane. You already have a small pattern plane. If you get a 1.10 size, you will find yourself going to contests and dreaming about a 2M plane.

You can't go wrong with the Vanquish. The 2M Osiris might be out soon. Can't go wrong with the Monolog, either.
Jetdesign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 PM
  #20
camaro101
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stoughton, MA
Posts: 115
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation


Quote:
ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

If you are serious about flying pattern, get a 2M plane. You already have a small pattern plane. If you get a 1.10 size, you will find yourself going to contests and dreaming about a 2M plane.

You can't go wrong with the Vanquish. The 2M Osiris might be out soon. Can't go wrong with the Monolog, either.

Haha in light of me misunderstanding the rules I was just going to look at a 110 wind haha until you posted this

I think. Your right though if I do get less then 2m I will be sitting around wishing I had a 2m

Hmmmmmmm I can't decide at all

Is there a build thread on a mono anywhere?
camaro101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
  #21
ram_z
 
ram_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ness-Ziona, ISRAEL
Posts: 182
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

I didn't see any building threads of the monolog in RCU but you can see the assembling photo on [link=http://rcone.kr/board/index.html?id=bjair1&page=5&no=27]BJ blog[/link]...
Personally I fly the Nuance and now waiting for an Episode. Both are pretty similar on construction point of view and they are great! Just in a lot higher price level.
In my club there are pilot who fly smaller monologs (110/70) and the construction of them are very good as well.

If I were you, I will give it shot!

good luck
ram_z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 AM
  #22
rcpattern
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 2,860
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation


Quote:
ORIGINAL: ram_z

I didn't see any building threads of the monolog in RCU but you can see the assembling photo on [link=http://rcone.kr/board/index.html?id=bjair1&page=5&no=27]BJ blog[/link]...
Personally I fly the Nuance and now waiting for an Episode. Both are pretty similar on construction point of view and they are great! Just in a lot higher price level.
In my club there are pilot who fly smaller monologs (110/70) and the construction of them are very good as well.

If I were you, I will give it shot!

good luck
The Nuance/Episode's are composite fuses, whereas the Monolog is wood. It is very well built and it looks nice when complete. I really like the new scheme on the Monolog as well. You wont go wrong with either the Vanquish, or Monolog.

Arch
rcpattern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 AM
  #23
Chris Moon
 
Chris Moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 1,366
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

As with any electric plane, I would fit the battery tray last as position will depend on motor and ESC choices. BJ shows the battery tray being installed early in the construction manual but I suggest you wait until all else is done.
Chris Moon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM
  #24
KGSS28
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hartsville, TN
Posts: 286
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation

Monolog build thread .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
KGSS28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
  #25
Jetdesign
 
Jetdesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mason, OH
Posts: 7,050
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New pattern ship recomendation


Quote:
ORIGINAL: camaro101


Quote:
ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

If you are serious about flying pattern, get a 2M plane. You already have a small pattern plane. If you get a 1.10 size, you will find yourself going to contests and dreaming about a 2M plane.

You can't go wrong with the Vanquish. The 2M Osiris might be out soon. Can't go wrong with the Monolog, either.

Haha in light of me misunderstanding the rules I was just going to look at a 110 wind haha until you posted this

I think. Your right though if I do get less then 2m I will be sitting around wishing I had a 2m

Hmmmmmmm I can't decide at all

Is there a build thread on a mono anywhere?
The Vanquish would probably run you the same amount of money, and give you more flexibility with setup and component choices.
Jetdesign is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:22 AM.