Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

CC80HV

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CC80HV

Ok you experts,

I am using a CC80HV, HACKER A-60-7S-V2 and started with a 20.5-14 APC PROP. I am waiting on my castle Link cable to arrive, so I can check the numbers.

This is what I experienced running the set up on 10S-5000 set up. When I go to full throttle the engine runs for about 10 seconds and shuts off, if I bring the stick on the TX back to the idle position and start to advance the throttle it's fine through out the throttle range once again. I ended up lowering the control point in the ATV's from 135% down to about 65% to eliminate the motor from kicking out (and thats' right on the thresh hold). Am I over AMPing the ESC? I didn't tach it yet either, but I know it's turning the crap out of the 20.5x14 (scary). I checked the trouble shooting guide and it really dosen't have an explaination for it.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'll know more when the cable gets here tomorrow. In the mean time I figured I'd share this with everyone and get a head to a potential solution.

bholsten
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
woodie

Default RE: CC80HV

When the motor shuts off, is the ESC beeping? If so, I think 2 beeps means the ESC hit the limit for low voltage and shut down. Your cable will allow you to see the results of your last run so that may tell you more. A friend had the same issue at the field this last week and it was a combination of 2 things. First he was hitting LVC (low voltage cutoff) and it was set for hard shutdown instead of 'slow down'. Lowered his LVC setting and changed to 'slow down' and his problems went away. He hadn't programmed his ESC having been told it would be fine with the factory defaults. Might be ok with new batteries, but his older/weaker batteries dropped below the voltage thresh hold.

Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Woodie
Old 08-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Set up the controller with the Castle Link so you can be sure of the setting you are working with. The factory defaults are not optimum for our use and as Woodie said you are hitting low voltage cutoff and bringing the throttle stick down resets the controller. When you get the Castle Link, use these settings and you will have success. Not to say there are no possible tweaks you can make from here, just start here with a stable operating setup and tweak from there if desired.

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...age=page&id=13
Old 08-27-2012, 04:00 PM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

Now you tell me, yesterday my brand new Valiant went in because of this.....
Old 08-27-2012, 04:02 PM
DAMBUSTER

Hi,This is Waaay of topic but as my emails to F3a Unlimited go unanswered this seems my only avenue. So here goes,I have been told that we are no longer able to buy Lipos from the USA for export to,in my case,Australia. Is this correct ? I have bought F3a batts previously and would like to again.
Could someone (Chris Moon) confirm or deny please.
Cheers Dambuster.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Chris Moon

I remember your email and responding but anyways here is the regulation as of May 16 2012. The USPS will review things and hopefully have some workable exceptions by Jan 1 2013. UPS and FedEx etc do not have these restrictions but the cost for heavy international shipments is prohibitive.
Sorry for going off topic guys.

Effective May 16, 2012, the Postal Serviceâ„¢ will revise Mailing Standards of the United States Postal Service, Domestic Mail Manual (DMM®) section 601.10.20 to codify that primary lithium metal or lithium alloy (nonrechargeable) cells and batteries or secondary lithium-ion cells and batÂ*teries (rechargeable) are prohibited when mailed internaÂ*tionally or to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO location. However, this prohibition does not apply to lithium batterÂ*ies authorized under DMM 601.10.20 when mailed within the United States or its territories.

International standards have recently been the subject of discussion by the International Civil Aviation OrganizaÂ*tion (ICAO) and the Universal Postal Union (UPU), and the Postal Service anticipates that on January 1, 2013, cusÂ*tomers will be able to mail specific quantities of lithium batÂ*teries internationally (including to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO location) when the batteries are properly installed in the personal electronic devices they are intended to operate.

Until such time that a less restrictive policy can be implemented consistent with international standards, and in accordance with UPU Convention, lithium batteries are not permitted in international mail. The UPU Convention and regulations are consistent with the ICAO Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air (Technical Instructions). The Technical Instructions conÂ*cerning the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Post do not permit “dangerous goods†as defined by the ICAO TechniÂ*cal Instructions in international mail. The prohibition on mailing lithium batteries and cells internationally also applies to mail sent by commercial air transportation to and from an APO, FPO, or DPO location.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

bholsten,
I have been running your exact setup for over a month now and have had to drop back to a 20x13 prop. I found the very high pitch prop was drawing too much out of my bats for a 7.5min Advanced sequence flght + a few extra. Still plenty of power and motor does not get too hot. A friend I fly with has this setup too and has 3 throttle curves setup, 100% - 95% & 85%. He rarely flys 100%.

maustin
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM
DAMBUSTER

Chris,Thank you for your (off topic) reply.It seems my info was correct,sadly ! I did not receive your reply and this is the second time I have emailed you and not got an answer.(The previous time was long ago and I did not follow up )
Again Thank You for this.
Cheers Dambuster.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Thats' what I did, ran it on older batteries about 3 years old and have not programmed the ESC. I did receive my cable yesterday afternoon. I will post the results later today. Sounds like you may be correct.

Thanks' for the help.

bholsten
Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Thanks Chris,

I appreciate the help. [8D] I figured the factory setting would need to be changed. On another note, I need to order about 4 sets of batteries from you. Even though my 2009 batteries only have about 25 flights on them. I don't want to trust them for anything other than test packs.

bholsten
Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 AM
Chris Moon

Hi Bill,

Yes batteries decay over time no matter what you do or don't do to them. Cycling them periodically will help but they all decay plus today's packs generally have higher C ratings than 3 years ago and hold voltage under load much better ( = more power). When you buy batteries, make sure you find out how old they are (if they will tell you). Some guys mistakenly want to buy in spring thinking they will get fresher packs than buying in the fall when there is a good chance depending on the retailer that the packs you buy in spring are the same packs as have been sitting there since the fall so there is zero benefit to this logic unless you know when they were actually manufactured. I have seen guys buy packs that were well over a year old from places thinking they just bought "new" batteries when they had a year of decay already on them before they left the store.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Chris,

Yeah I understand that from owning and operating an electronics based security company. Usually the vendor on the other end will not take the time to verify the date stamp. You get what you get. I use to visit batteries plus and build my own packs and purchase batteries , because I could check the dates, etc. I will order my batteries from you. I will need to run the lighest packs I can and still get throught the programs without hurting the batteries. Right now I am at 10.75 lbs with my True RC 5000/25C packs on both planes. The Rhino's I don't like, never seemed to have the same power as my True RC's did.

I have loaded the graph data. (Low Voltage cut of was the problem). I used your link to re-program the device. I will try it again with the throttle restrictions removed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41673.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1796067  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:06 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Ok,...

After I did the requested update I can not retreive my data anymore. It tells me "An error occured trying to purse the data log?" I re-booted the PC, all the lights on the software are green, the module is flashing green. I can upload and download changes,..no data log. [:@]

Any ideas,..delete the software and re-install it maybe?

bholsten
Old 08-28-2012, 01:16 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Kool,..Thanks for the info.

bholsten