Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Need suggestion where to store batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestion where to store batteries

I am going to be living out of a storage space for the next month or two; including two trips out of town. I've got an arsenal of lipo batteries - right now I've got one metal DeWalt drill box stuffed with 5S packs, and a bullet box stuffed with 5S and 3S packs. Do I keep them in storage? The unit is climate controlled. I wasn't too nervous about it until I found a puffed pack that I haven't really used, must have puffed itself sitting in my basement. Obviously that pack is going to the recycling bin, NOT to storage.

Keep them with me at a friends house? Put them in storage? Any other ideas? I was thinking about a fireproof box but they are not cheap (at least the ones I've seen - at Staples, etc) but maybe it's just worth it, even for peace of mind.

I appreciate your thoughts and comments
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Need suggestion where to store batteries

Well, I was wrong about two things:
1) they are not that expensive. i bought two small fireproof safes, one for flight packs and one to leave home. they were $20/ea.
2) they are not big enough I can stuff four 4000mah flight packs, two rx batteries and one tx battery, but only 3 5000mah flight packs. that won't cut it for a contest.

The next size up I think was $50, and should be big enough for everything, but a pain to carry around.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 PM
houckj

Default RE: Need suggestion where to store batteries

Be sure to put the lipo's in 'storage mode'.  They should not be fully charged.  Most chargers have a storage setting.  About 3.8 volts.  

Your storage containers should be adequate.  Just be sure to store the batteries in a room temp location.